Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing from time to time. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Mark

my company is now on official WFH starting this monday. we're now in prep mode to enable people to work remotely via whatever automation gadgets/etc we can whip up, short term.

this is one reason I enjoy living in the bay area. the clue factor *can* be high, here. its not always, but it often is.

people and companies are taking this seriously.

Tesla is still going strong (in the office).

This NYT article is interesting. I’m glad there are doctors like these and those in China willing to go against government authorities when necessary for the public.
‘It’s Just Everywhere Already’: How Delays in Testing Set Back the U.S. Coronavirus Response

Reactions: Congo Line
I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.

I'm so sorry to hear about you and your wife. My daughter is also a nurse at Evergreen and I worry about her constantly. She is a delivery nurse in maternity and is extremely conscious, as are all health care workers, of hygiene and diligence. Hope you and your wife get well soon. I think all of the health care workers are heroes.

@Snapdragon III Thanks for sharing and we all hope you and your wife a speedy recovery. If there's anything anyone of us can do here for you, please let us know.

I saw some tweets and an article on Google News that said that high level meetings in the government on Covid-19 were now going to be classified. Saw nothing here, so I tried to track down one of the links I saw, but they're not there any more. By searching in detail, I managed to find a link to "The Week" which is a weekly condensation that we subscribe to, but it isn't itself doing the research. It claims the article came from Reuters, and it is talking about meetings back in January/February. I find it just barely credible enough to post here, but I hope that it's false.
The White House reportedly made coronavirus meetings classified, keeping out 'very critical people'

I saw some tweets and an article on Google News that said that high level meetings in the government on Covid-19 were now going to be classified. Saw nothing here, so I tried to track down one of the links I saw, but they're not there any more. By searching in detail, I managed to find a link to "The Week" which is a weekly condensation that we subscribe to, but it isn't itself doing the research. It claims the article came from Reuters, and it is talking about meetings back in January/February. I find it just barely credible enough to post here, but I hope that it's false.
The White House reportedly made coronavirus meetings classified, keeping out 'very critical people'

Directly from Reuters:
Exclusive: White House told federal health agency to classify coronavirus deliberations - sources

Biogen cases could come from a single source, e.g. did these 70 have the fish?
Here is an article on Biogen. If anyone has seen a more robust article, pls link.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article241096681.html

This shows how dysfunctional our healthcare system is. Multiple people who went from Biogen outside the country had to test positive before the local hospital would even consider testing.They thought Biogen people coming for testing is a nuisance.

In an e-mail from the company Thursday evening, Biogen officials asked employees to refrain from going to MGH to be tested for the coronavirus. The e-mail said their efforts “are overwhelming the emergency room” and that hospital police may have to bar Biogen employees from entering the area.​

The stock market will also likely move faster and further than some people want to believe IMO.

This is why my unlikely, but reasonable downside I'm planning around now is the Great Depression. That was a worldwide 15% reduction in economic activity with a 90% drop in the Dow (pick the index you prefer).

Now that my retirement accounts are in cash, I feel like I'm a lot more prepared for Dow 2200 -2800, vs the recent Dow 22,000 - 28,000.

Another thing I learned (from the coal industry partly) - no matter how low the price, there is always a lower price available. We're not limited to a 90% market slide.

And of course, economic contraction won't be evenly felt across companies and industries.

Worth mentioning here - my trigger to move back into the market isn't any particular index or market level. My trigger to move back into the market is my perception of the ongoing quality (bad) of the US medical response to the virus.

What I see is that at the federal level, the choices being made are about politics and economics instead of the medicine (to get reelected, the economy needs to be good; for the economy to be good, the virus needs to not be bad; ergo, the virus isn't a big deal).

When I see the coordinated US virus response being fundamentally a medical response - driven by medical people, choices being made for medical reasons, then I'll be ready to get back into the market (whatever the market level is).

Until then, except for TSLA, I'm in cash. (And thinking that I should try shorting the market - really radical for me).

Also - I want to be wrong and for the virus in the US to be a lot easier on us than its being on Italy.

Last edited:
Good to see they're doubling down on the "nothing to see here" strategy that's obviously working so well... :rolleyes:
That isn't doubling down, it was done two months ago (mid january to mid february) with secrecy successfully maintained for two months. As the administration was obviously taking this seriously two months ago -- so seriously that they classified the meetings -- that makes the resulting actions criminal. They have been not just allowing, but even encouraging lack of quarantine. I'm not going to bother looking for citations on the many failures but they are probably all documented in this thread.

This isn't just blase ignorance (like the Missourian who knowingly exposed an entire school) but willful deception.

What are the symptoms exactly and how bad are they? What is the expected recovery time? Feeling bad is too subjective to understand. Is it a productive cough and nose and tiredness. like the flu, or worse? I have not heard specifics on the TV. I do see carts loaded with toilet paler leaving Costco.

Clever government planning lately:
If I see fire starting in the kitchen, I could use a fire extinguisher. Or I could wait, tell my family I know the fire will spread to the rest of the house and announce I plan further action for when this happens.
Increase the kids' allowance if their PS4 burns down with the house too.

At the moment there are about 32 deaths and 1000 odd infected from this new virus in USA. The flu 2017 - 18 caused about 60 thousand deaths in the USA and infected 45 million. Let’s hope not as bad as the common flu.
You’re comparing the start of an exponential curve with the end of a different exponential curve. There’s no way to predict now where the end of the first exponential curve will be, not until everything is over.

Reactions: Yonki