Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Most likely they got infected outside the factory. With the testing and precautions the factories are taking I would expect very little if any spread in the factories.

Two Missouri hairstylists who had coronavirus saw 140 clients but no one got infected - CNN

I remember people saying this was going to be a super spreading event and turned out to be nothing...and they had actual symptoms which I would expect is more contagious then someone without symptoms.

For the people who like data...NYS continues to do a lot of testing and has gotten the positivity percentage below 1% in most places. Doing a lot of testing, tracing, and isolating seems to work very well.

Percentage Positive Results By Region Dashboard

Of course they likely acquired it outside the factory! That’s the concern of course - it is likely going to keep happening.

I’d caution that superspreaders have to be a superspreader in order to superspread.

That being said, masks are clearly effective. I’d like to see all employees wearing N95s and goggles. There’s just a lot more consistent exposure here than there is in a hair salon, so the risks increase. Remember duration matters.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Sigh... Ya. I don't know what usa is doing. Most other countries are eliminating the virus with the sun's help but you guys are reaching new heights in some states. Texas shouldn't be seeing spikes even without masks.

Maybe my earlier wild guess is true. The masters have decided to let this virus burn through the population as it kills the ppl that are a drain on society.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's razor

Sigh... Ya. I don't know what usa is doing. Most other countries are eliminating the virus with the sun's help but you guys are reaching new heights in some states. Texas shouldn't be seeing spikes even without masks.

Maybe my earlier wild guess is true. The masters have decided to let this virus burn through the population as it kills the ppl that are a drain on society.
Steve Mnuchin was just on CNBC saying there definitely won't be further lockdowns to prevent spread of Coronavirus. After he praised President Trump for the earlier lockdown. What effect the federal government had/has on either is debatable, since this was always a state and local responsibility.

Welcome to ballot harvesting and no more vetting of voter rolls. That and Wall Street Funding of DNC target areas.

Orange County remains one of the most conservative counties in California. They actually cleared out the 10,000 bums living in the Santa Ana River. SF could never do that nor could LA.
Really? I believe the only ones harvesting ballots and committing fraud are Republicans. And not in OC.

And we have a GOP mayor in Irvine who ignored the overwhelming vote of the citizens to place a Veterans' Cemetery on the grounds of the Great Park. She also was recipient of tons of money from sweetheart deals with FivePoint, a corrupt real estate developer that is a major campaign contributor.

We have a GOP-majority City Council that announced free COVID-19 testing, and on the day the program was to start, they nixed it. For politics.

So don't even try to lecture anyone on a claim that OC Democrats are corrupt.

Really? I believe the only ones harvesting ballots and committing fraud are Republicans. And not in OC.

And we have a GOP mayor in Irvine who ignored the overwhelming vote of the citizens to place a Veterans' Cemetery on the grounds of the Great Park. She also was recipient of tons of money from sweetheart deals with FivePoint, a corrupt real estate developer that is a major campaign contributor.

We have a GOP-majority City Council that announced free COVID-19 testing, and on the day the program was to start, they nixed it. For politics.

Apparently you are too young to remember Barbara Boxer.

And you don't subscribe to the Register? What is ballot harvesting and how is it affecting Southern California elections? – Orange County Register

I've been living or working in OC since the mid 70's.

• Funny
Reactions: NikolaACDC

Cemetery - It appears it will cost $90M and the school district and residents of the area don't want it. Special interests have been lobbying for it. It appears they will have to destroy the landmark blimp hangers for it? Newsom just cancelled the state funding for it. Mayor is worried the money will be spent and no cemetery built since there is nothing binding.

I don't follow that enough though.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: GSP and NikolaACDC
Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports highest active case count yet; region seeing ‘disproportional share’ of cases region seeing ‘disproportional share’ of cases

"Knox County reported 114 active cases on Wednesday, up from 98 reported on Tuesday."

"The previous high for number of active COVID-19 cases in the county was 112, recorded on June 4."

"There are six Knox County COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized, up from two reported on Tuesday."

and the majority of the people I see around here don't wear masks at all or do the wearing a mask over the mouth but not the nose thing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
The Register is the Fox "News" of SoCal. That explains a lot.

Ahh... If you read the Times, they have been lobbying for the cemetery to be built at El Toro. The Times is the best reporting that money can (and usually does) buy. While prostitution is technically illegal in LA, there is an exemption for the Times.

The quick and dirty markup of our new cases chart
upload_2020-6-11_12-7-21.png

The quick and dirty markup of our new cases chart
View attachment 550412

Yep. Looks like your early detection of this trend was correct. The signal has been getting more and more clear in Kentucky as a whole for the last week or so, though it is still not as strong as some other states (in terms of positivity and hospitalizations, as I recall).

I tried to be optimistic but it seems to have had no effect. That’ll teach me. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Dr. J
Of course they likely acquired it outside the factory! That’s the concern of course - it is likely going to keep happening.
I thought you said all Tesla workers would self-isolate in their homes, lol.

More seriously, Electrek said four workers from the same part of the S/X final assembly line tested positive. If true that's clearly a case of in-factory transmission (cue "but Teslas don't have transmissions" jokes). As I said before, people will bring it in. The key is to use masks, distancing, etc. to reduce chances of in-factory spread and aggressively test&trace to stop factory spread when it does happen.
My neighbor who recently went on a business trip by air told me that once passengers board the plane, there is nothing the crew can do if someone decides to take it off.
Airlines can ban passengers. TSA can maintain a no-fly list of all such passengers. This is trivial to implement if we want to. We just don't want to.

I thought you said all Tesla workers would self-isolate in their homes, lol.

I don't think I quite said that - but I did suggest that Tesla should make self-quarantine at home (when not at work) mandatory, and support their workers in doing so (with free grocery deliveries, child care, etc.).

Definitely going to be interesting to see how much purchase the virus gets in the factory setting. I think there is a chance it will be substantial, as they aren't treating the whole place like a COVID ward. But we'll see.

aggressively test&trace to stop factory spread when it does happen.

I wonder if they are doing this? I assume Alameda County would be in there testing everyone who was a contact.

Last edited:
Excellent thread from Dr. Tom Frieden, basically going over the points he made in his Washington Post opinion piece. Good for all the amateur epidemiologists out there.

When you have no infections of unknown source, you're nearly in control of the epidemic. Obviously we're not there yet. That's why I wonder about how well tested these recent outbreaks are. High positivity is good, if it is due entirely to well-targeted testing! (Generally though, positivity will be low for a well-contained outbreak - targeted testing can only go so far, and a significant number of tests need to be allocated to surveillance).

https://twitter.com/DrTomFrieden/status/1271142991416213507?s=20

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/09/coronavirus-hospitalizations-rising/

Hospitalizations in several states have been rising since at least Memorial Day. I’m going to be watching Arizona and Texas closely. NY and Eastern hotspots don’t seem to be rising so it’s not a universal pattern. But we all known now that the best reactions need to be quick when the cases are still measured in small numbers.

To put it coarsely several states are cocking it up and need just slightly more strict interventions ASAP or we are going to see wave 2 shortly.

I think hospitalizations are one of the better metrics to track during this phase. Maybe a combo of number of tests and percent positive but that needs more massaging. Deaths probably reasonably static bias so useful too but lags more than hospitalizations. Unfortunately number of hospitalizations is not being well tracked with the same rigor as tests.

Airlines can ban passengers. TSA can maintain a no-fly list of all such passengers. This is trivial to implement if we want to. We just don't want to.
Maybe besides expending so much resources on coming up with vaccines and treatments, we can use the same amount of resources to change policy and people behavior because simple things as masking and social distancing is as much effective.

Oh, right. We have freedom, constitution, and privacy advocates.

I wonder if they are doing this? I assume Alameda County would be in there testing everyone who was a contact.
That isn’t how contact tracing is conducted at least in the SF Bay Area. Testing is only a suggestion to exposed individuals. Now, Tesla could have its own requirements for exposed individuals, but no county I know of can require people to get tested.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Cemetery - It appears it will cost $90M and the school district and residents of the area don't want it. Special interests have been lobbying for it. It appears they will have to destroy the landmark blimp hangers for it? Newsom just cancelled the state funding for it. Mayor is worried the money will be spent and no cemetery built since there is nothing binding.

I don't follow that enough though.
Please research before you post. Maybe that's the quality of information you get from your sources, but the blimp hangers are in TUSTIN.

The school district didn't want it? Citation please. The "residents of the area" moved in with the master plan clearly showing their proximity to the then-proposed cemetery. They got concerns only after they moved in. Sorry, they knew what they were buying and the disclosures were very clear.

Posting inaccuracies is a hallmark of certain persuasions and supposed "news" organizations. (And yes, the LA Times has its issues, but its ethics are not questionable like those of the Ragister.)

Apologies for veering off topic, but some lies need to be challenged.