Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to install your 14-50 plug at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$209 in rural Colorado to install a 14-50 in the garage. About 10 - 15 foot path to the outlet through external conduit on the same wall as the breaker box.

Invoice attached

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.18.08 AM.png

I'm probably close to a "worse case" scenario... $2,235, after all the dust settled.

About $200 of that was the outlet, box, breaker, and wire for a 40' run. I used #4/3 wire instead of the customary #6 in order to have the option to go to a higher current later with a swap of breaker and outlet/EVSE; the incremental cost of the thicker wire wasn't substantial, all things considered. I also contributed significant sweat to the project, doing all the under-house cabling work, mounting the box and outlet in the garage, and helping with the panel swap. So, I suppose it would have been even more expensive if I hadn't helped.

The remaining $2,000 was to upgrade the main service panel in our house, which was: 1. Already full, 2. Only 125A, and 3. A fire/safety hazard (Zinsco type). #3 made the whole thing a no-brainer, though after disassembling the old panel, we actually found no evidence of impending failure after 33 years. Still, I sleep better at night, and the car now has a very solid source of power.

I paid 350.

Ran fifty feet in basement from box, then had to drill through concrete to garage above to the receptacle. All in conduit.

He installed it upside down, but it didn't wind up making a difference to me for how I keep my cable. Next time, I'll make sure the ground is up.

I paid 350.

Ran fifty feet in basement from box, then had to drill through concrete to garage above to the receptacle. All in conduit.

He installed it upside down, but it didn't wind up making a difference to me for how I keep my cable. Next time, I'll make sure the ground is up.
I forgot to mention orientation when the installers were active so I also ended up with it being wrong for the Clipper Creek (CC) EVSE I purchased. CC was amused by my call and said "turn off the breaker, rotate the outlet, turn on the breaker."

Done

Last edited:
I paid 350.

I had to rotate mine 180 degrees. It wasn't difficult to do, just had to pull the outlet gently out of the box, rotate it in the direction that twisted the wires the least, then screw it back in. If the wires don't have enough slack in them, you might have to detach one or more and reattach after the rotation, but I didn't.

Reactions: docherf
40ft run was $100 in parts, electrician charged me $300 for install which I felt was a steal as he had to bend all the conduit pipe and run it around top of garage. I laid everything out for him in advance and had all the parts ready.

Reactions: David99
I paid about $365 for a 6-foot run to the 14-50, but that also included a 100 amp breaker and running 6 feet of 100-amp copper to where I planned a future HPWC, as well as installing a standard 120 volt wall outlet for our sprinkler system.

Hi, I live in Mckinney, would you recommend the installer that charged this price? Can you send me a PM if you prefer.

I negotiated my rooftop solar contractor to include the 14-50R installation. My panel got very crowded, so they added a sub-panel (for future heated floors and steam shower) and ran the EVSE line to a 100A (50A tandem breaker). They used a 4-gauge cable because my Juicebox claims to take up to 75A, and they had to make a 60' run from the sub-panel to the far side of the garage. I was expecting to pay up to $1,000 but was able to get them to throw it in to seal the deal. The install took less than 2 hours and the two guys made it look so easy.

Our Fiat 500e maxes at 30A, but we have a deposit on a 2013 MS85 and look forward to cranking it up to 40A. The Tesla spec sheet states "dual chargers" but I'm thinking that's a typo since EV-cpo.com and Tesla didn't state it on their ad. Not a big deal either way.

For anyone who has had an electrician come in to add a 50 amp breaker and run wires to a 14-50 outlet, what did it cost?

Give some details, like how far the wiring was run, type and cost of breaker, electricians fees, material costs, anything notable about the installation procedure, 6 or 8 gauge wire was used, etc.

When my Model 3 gets here I will have to deal with this, just trying to prepare for the sticker shock. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but for electrical stuff I will let a pro handle it.

First Electrician wanted $800 sight unseen. 2nd guy came over and quoted $100 for right below breaker. I had him reposition on the same side of the garage about 8ft closer to the Garage door. Total cost including labor and materials was $200.00. Took him a little over an hour.

Reactions: nwdiver
300 bucks in BC Canada. No permit required. Taxes were another 36 bucks.

We mounted ours dead centre and then used a 25 foot 50 amp RV extension cord in vented conduit to get to the side of the garage. When we get our model three we will move the conduit to the other side as the charge port is on the other side of the car. Probably a half hour job.

For anyone who has had an electrician come in to add a 50 amp breaker and run wires to a 14-50 outlet, what did it cost?

Give some details, like how far the wiring was run, type and cost of breaker, electricians fees, material costs, anything notable about the installation procedure, 6 or 8 gauge wire was used, etc.

When my Model 3 gets here I will have to deal with this, just trying to prepare for the sticker shock. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but for electrical stuff I will let a pro handle it.
$650 for about a 60ft run. Guessing $200 or so parts. He drilled through lots of floor joists to keep it neat and up out of the way

Reactions: Leeclanual