Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the service center yesterday. One of the guys there showed me screen shots of what's new for 6.0. Traffic based Nav was on the list.

Joseph_04efe7_1100618.jpg

Yeah, tell me about it. Thought there would be at least one person that appreciated hearing that.

Sorry if it came over badly. Nothing negative was implied in my comment, apart from the time delay.

- - - Updated - - -

Was there anything about the trip planner or video in the web browser?

Video in the browser won't be in v6.0 and is unlikely to be there in the next couple of years; there's bandwidth issues (3G) and Tesla is paying for the connections so opening it up has the potential to cost them big bucks unless they come up with a measurable fee structure. That's going to be low priority.

If they're going to restrict video to park only (which seems reasonable to me), they could presumably also restrict it to wifi only if bandwidth and 3G costs are problematic. Though I realize that wouldn't help if you're parked in a remote location, unless you bring your own hotspot.

If they're going to restrict video to park only (which seems reasonable to me), they could presumably also restrict it to wifi only if bandwidth and 3G costs are problematic. Though I realize that wouldn't help if you're parked in a remote location, unless you bring your own hotspot.

Sorry I don't get it. You want Tesla to take R&D resource away from Model X and Model III and instead invest it in allowing you to watch video in your car while it's in park and when it's tethered to wifi? I think you should buy yourself a $200 android tablet and let them get on with building the best cars in the world.

Video in the browser won't be in v6.0 and is unlikely to be there in the next couple of years; there's bandwidth issues (3G) and Tesla is paying for the connections so opening it up has the potential to cost them big bucks unless they come up with a measurable fee structure. That's going to be low priority.

IIRC, someone saw streaming video on a test bed Model S at the Hawthorne supercharger a few months ago. It was speculated at the time that the car was running 6.0. Obviously, the feature would be restricted to Park only, but perhaps Tesla thought better of it due to bandwidth issues.

It would be nice if Tesla offered restricted wifi access at the superchargers. The restriction would be that only Tesla vehicles can access the network. It would be great to be able to work while I charged.

How would you work though? I'd assume that you need a laptop hopping on that WiFi. You cannot get work done from the car's screen, can you?

Sorry I don't get it. You want Tesla to take R&D resource away from Model X and Model III and instead invest it in allowing you to watch video in your car while it's in park and when it's tethered to wifi? I think you should buy yourself a $200 android tablet and let them get on with building the best cars in the world.

I agree, web video is a "nice to have" priority at most. I was only suggesting an implementation detail for if/when they do decide to offer video. My 9yo kids have cheap ($100) Android tablets (and these archaic things called... books) and successfully entertained themselves throughout a 1250-mile trip down I-95 this past week. :)

What they should allow, that should be completely uncontroversial, would be to allow playing the audio stream only. They should do this for webpages with regular mp3s and but also the audio stream of video like youtube.

This adds no general danger to the car because you can already find audio using the touchscreen in multiple ways - simple things like picking a radio station, music off your flash drive, but also you can choose internet streams from the services they provide. So I should be able to go say youtube.com and play the audio from a video, or go to marketplace.org in the webbrowser and play the latest podcast.

You can often but not always find these in the current apps they have, but its such a huge pain to find things I rarely bother.

My $0.02 on Version 6.0... this software is undoubtedly the first version deployed in the Model X... it won't have anything earlier than Version 6.0. This past week, they just started driving Alpha versions of the Model X around. IMO there was a deadline to finish Version 6.0 in time for this deployment of the Alpha Model X, since to a degree it means the Model X hardware is "locked," with only critical hardware+software changes being allowed from now on.

However, this now means that the Version 6.0 can be released for Model S. It's no coincidence that it is very close for Model S. IMO it was being tested in the company's tester Model S cars all year long and is fully compatible with existing Model S cars.

Someone else here said we should expect to see an update to the Tesla cellphone apps. That will be another important clue signalling deployment.

What they should allow, that should be completely uncontroversial, would be to allow playing the audio stream only. They should do this for webpages with regular mp3s and but also the audio stream of video like youtube.

This adds no general danger to the car because you can already find audio using the touchscreen in multiple ways - simple things like picking a radio station, music off your flash drive, but also you can choose internet streams from the services they provide. So I should be able to go say youtube.com and play the audio from a video, or go to marketplace.org in the webbrowser and play the latest podcast.

You can often but not always find these in the current apps they have, but its such a huge pain to find things I rarely bother.

Yes please! Streaming audio from websites would be very nice. And actually support sites that uses different technologies to do this (flash, etc).