Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am running this exact combo (a Navak splitter and the exact RPi bundle you linked). I run the marcone/teslausb. Been running the Pi since June and only the last week or two for the Navak splitter.

I have a Navak splitter in each port. I use the two "charging" ports to power my Taptes Gen2 wireless charging pad and one of the "data" ports to run the Pi.

I applied the heatsink to the board. Ordered “SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card”. Would that work or is it an overkill? Is regular 128gb memory card preferred over high endurance??

I applied the heatsink to the board. Ordered “SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card”. Would that work or is it an overkill? Is regular 128gb memory card preferred over high endurance??

For reference:
  • Each camera clip (1 min) is about 30 MB. 4 Cameras are recorded.. so that's 120 MB/min.
  • The car only records the last hour of car-on time, then it overwrites the oldest clip. So at most, that's 120 MB /min * 60 min = 7.2 GB.
But that's just for the Dashcam feature. Every time you press the save button -OR- Sentry records an event, it copies the current minute plus the previous 9 minutes to a SavedClips or SentryClips folder. So...
  • Every Sentry or manual-save would be 120 MB/min * 10 min = 1.2 GB of data
The beauty of the teslausb/pi combo is that when you come within range of your home wifi, it auto-transfers the clips to your server (or cloud storage) and then clears the storage on the device. So when picking what size card you want... you should figure out how many 10-minute clips you think you would need between times your car is "home". 256 GB would cover you for over 30 hours of continuous saving of clips, plus the 1 hour rolling recording of dashcam :) .

For reference I use 32 GB card and have never had an issue with space, but I don't park my car at an airport for days at a time and my car is on wifi every night. I also don't use the music storage feature, so if you were going to do that, you'd need to factor that in. I've been planning on upgrading to 64 or 128, but since it's never run out of space i just haven't been pushed to.

As for the cards, I can't vouch for anything other than Samsung EVO Select because that's what I bought because it was inexpensive and a "good" brand. It's been working without issue since June.

Reactions: iunbeatable
Any thought of doing one that uses both USB ports for power?

Ideally I'd think we'd want to plug into both ports and have 2 phone chargers, 1 data port for sentry, 1 data port of music (I know the drive could be dual purpose, but some people can't do that easily), and 2 ports for game controllers.

So basically converts the 2 usb ports into a bar that has 6 USB A ports. 2 charging ports, and 4 data ports. The Jedi hub with storage sort of does this, but it's 5 ports, and 2 ports are USB C for some reason...
Hi, thanks for your input. At this moment I`m not planing a new design but will keep it in mind for the future.
For the setup you described above, perhaps Jeda hub with USB C to type A adapters can do. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/nonda-Adapter-Thunderbolt-MacBook-Surface/dp/B07XYTHCXV/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

......The beauty of the teslausb/pi combo is that when you come within range of your home wifi, it auto-transfers the clips to your server (or cloud storage) and then clears the storage on the device. .....

Are you describing the Roadie, or something else? The auto-transfer to cloud storage (hopefully OneDrive?) is intriguing to me.

EDIT: watched the vid on reddit. Seems like more than I want to bite off, at this time. Will stick with my SSD + iOS Dash View app. :)

Last edited:
Are you describing the Roadie, or something else? The auto-transfer to cloud storage (hopefully OneDrive?) is intriguing to me.
I'm referring to Teslausb. Roadie does this as well, but Teslausb is free and open source. So it just costs you a pi + SD card. And the one-step-install is pretty easy if you can edit a text file and have some basic computer tech literacy. It's cake if you have ever used a Raspberry Pi before.

Not sure what video you are talking about, though.

Sure, here you go:

NDQD-DKKUHG-LGAXAM
NDXP-UPQC5H-9GVKAF
NDLP-UCAG76-MVAJAL
NDZ4-UUHRLC-FFZAAR
NDPM-99HRF9-P8WDAV
NDLV-XTZ7Y3-BLJYA3
NDSG-XLQE7D-GGL4AG
NDGV-VCP32E-UFX8A7
ND5N-ZZJQNE-34WDAE
NDPL-C5U9D7-DRW3A9

Paid full price myself... didn't see this in time.
So, do I need to format this splitter? My USC was recording without it yesterday. But, with the splitter, it isn't recording anymore.

Help is much appreciated.

There's nothing to format, it's a bus spliter, not a storage device

I just removed my USB key, plugged the novak in, then plugged the USB key into the DATA port on the novak and waiting I dunno maybe 20 or 30 seconds and the camera icon came back on the display... (same for the USB music key on the other side though it took a bit longer as it had to index the key again)

Paid full price myself... didn't see this in time.
So, do I need to format this splitter? My USC was recording without it yesterday. But, with the splitter, it isn't recording anymore.

Help is much appreciated.
Hi. The splitter doesn’t have internal memory. As @Knightshade mentioned all it dose splits the bus in to charger and data ports. Plug the usb flash drive in to the “DATA” port and it’s should be good to go.
Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

There's nothing to format, it's a bus spliter, not a storage device

I just removed my USB key, plugged the novak in, then plugged the USB key into the DATA port on the novak and waiting I dunno maybe 20 or 30 seconds and the camera icon came back on the display... (same for the USB music key on the other side though it took a bit longer as it had to index the key again)
Got it. I'll try it again. Not sure why it did not record yesterday.

Thanks for letting me know.

Hi. The splitter doesn’t have internal memory. As @Knightshade mentioned all it dose splits the bus in to charger and data ports. Plug the usb flash drive in to the “DATA” port and it’s should be good to go.
Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for this. That's whay I thought... that it doesn't have internal memory. I'll try it again today and let you know if it still doesn't work for me.

Cheers!

Reactions: Navak
Sure, here you go:

NDQD-DKKUHG-LGAXAM
NDXP-UPQC5H-9GVKAF
NDLP-UCAG76-MVAJAL
NDZ4-UUHRLC-FFZAAR
NDPM-99HRF9-P8WDAV
NDLV-XTZ7Y3-BLJYA3
NDSG-XLQE7D-GGL4AG
NDGV-VCP32E-UFX8A7
ND5N-ZZJQNE-34WDAE
NDPL-C5U9D7-DRW3A9

It looks like these 10 are used - are you going to do any more? I would like to get two.

Though I feel guilty for asking since Amazon takes so much

Just sent you an PM.

Hi, just came across this thread. could you possibly send me one of those PMs too? Have 2 in my cart, ready to click the button :)

FWIW, I also agree with @Knightshade on the earlier point in this thread, in that its awesome to support a member who made a quality product like this. I already have the nomad, and have a hub in there for dashcam, but have been somewhat disappointed with the slow wireless charging.

Thanks in advance, I am sure these are exactly what I am looking for.

Reactions: Navak