Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian also comes with a spare tire and on-board air compressor.

Guess they're the ones with more utility than a truck.
Well, it is advertised as an "Adventure" vehicle. Many overlanding, camping, off roading threads and posts. I also love it's "boat-like" fording prowess...

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 8.54.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 8.53.27 AM.png

Maybe the aftermarket will correct Tesla's mistakes.

Bigger mirrors, etc.

Like the have done with stalk, yoke, and SEXY button retrofits.

Biggest concerns I think with CT are, in order:

Delivery Time

Price

Build quality

Real world range

Risk of major design defects and recalls.

If the RWD were available in March for 60k, I'd be putting in the 1k deposit.
Yea maybe, but a complete fail. They had what 6 years to design this thing, make the best possible truck out there, designed from the ground up.

this is what happens when you car people designing a truck. No idea what a truck is.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Maybe the aftermarket will correct Tesla's mistakes.

Bigger mirrors, etc.

Like the have done with stalk, yoke, and SEXY button retrofits.

Biggest concerns I think with CT are, in order:

Delivery Time

Price

Build quality

Real world range

Risk of major design defects and recalls.

If the RWD were available in March for 60k, I'd be putting in the 1k deposit.

Some are flat out design mistakes (due to lack of market understanding); things like you can't use roof racks and off road at the same time (WTF?!); but you can have your "beast" scream like a goat, fart and play arcade games..... 🤣

No matter how capable you think your vehicle is eventually you will get stuck.​

Rivian R1S Abandoned On Lake Shore After It Got Stuck And Froze In The Mud​

Even some of the most capable SUVs can't win in a battle against wet sand and mud

Rivian R1S Abandoned On Lake Shore After It Got Stuck And Froze In The Mud

The Rivian R1S is one of the most exciting new SUVs on sale today. Most owners have waited patiently to take delivery for years so it’s no shock when they almost immediately take them off road. Sadly, it doesn’t always go as planned and that’s the case again for one R1S owner that got stuck deep in the earth on Christmas eve.

We don’t have too much to go on here as the person who posted this photograph to Reddit says that it was forwarded to him by a friend who also happens to be a State Trooper. According to the title of the post, the “owner tried to drive thru the shores of a lake” and has “been frozen there ever since.”
From what we can see it’s clear that something went horribly wrong and it seems likely that the ground was far wetter when the R1S drove onto it than it looks in the photo. The rear wheel is completely caked in dirt and the entire SUV is sunken down to its rocker panels. It looks like the rear window glass is shattered too.

No matter how capable you think your vehicle is eventually you will get stuck.​

Rivian R1S Abandoned On Lake Shore After It Got Stuck And Froze In The Mud​

Even some of the most capable SUVs can't win in a battle against wet sand and mud

Rivian R1S Abandoned On Lake Shore After It Got Stuck And Froze In The Mud

The Rivian R1S is one of the most exciting new SUVs on sale today. Most owners have waited patiently to take delivery for years so it’s no shock when they almost immediately take them off road. Sadly, it doesn’t always go as planned and that’s the case again for one R1S owner that got stuck deep in the earth on Christmas eve.

We don’t have too much to go on here as the person who posted this photograph to Reddit says that it was forwarded to him by a friend who also happens to be a State Trooper. According to the title of the post, the “owner tried to drive thru the shores of a lake” and has “been frozen there ever since.”
From what we can see it’s clear that something went horribly wrong and it seems likely that the ground was far wetter when the R1S drove onto it than it looks in the photo. The rear wheel is completely caked in dirt and the entire SUV is sunken down to its rocker panels. It looks like the rear window glass is shattered too.

Headline: “Cybertruck abanded at side of road”

Have seen several of these headlines a couple months back as well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder obviously. That's one ugly interior if you ask me. Are the seats more comfortable? View attachment 999546
That's a Longhorn interior - same quality either way - but I prefer the Limited interiors which are a bit more modern as opposed to country type theme:

1702664350677.png

1702664383415.png

Yes - the seats are very comfortable and have tons of adjustability. I've driven eight hours straight in my 2018 RAM 1500 Limited (Tungsten Edition - with the Alcantara seats and suede headliner) with no back pain other than stiffness from sitting for so long without stopping.

Silverado EV's drag coefficient is 0.331.

Just thought I would remind folks that Cd does not equal drag.

The actual drag is rolling resistance plus aero drag. Both roughly the same at low moderate speeds.

Aero drag is Cd * 0.5 * air density * V^2 * reference area

The Hummer has a bigger reference area, and proportionally more aero drag than say a MS.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Apparently - and this is me guessing now - they aren't showing kayaks in the bed with the tailgate down because the rear camera is mounted there, so legally you always have to have that up.

What a design mess.
Rear cameras are mounted on the tailgate for all pickups IME. Some also have a bed camera - but not tall. It's not a legal requirement to have the tailgate up - as most short bed pickups are routinely used with the tailgate down for hauling longer items. Most of the ICE trucks have an accessory you can add to extend the short bed with the tailgate down to haul safely. My RAM 1500 with the 6.4 bed and ramboxes shipped with an extender - here's a pic of what i"m referring to - installed over the tailgate:

1702664906691.png

I use my rambox bed divider/extender occasionally when hauling larger items in the bed. Specific to the CT - if/when you're hauling a larger item - you'd have the bed cover retracted fully - so you'd be able to use the normal rearview mirror to see out the rear window - however small/narrow that may be. This is what I do - I use a combination of the rearview and towing side mirrors when in reverse. I honestly hardly ever use the rearview camera when backing up and towing/hauling - it's just not sufficient for these use cases. Honestly, the side mirrors on the CT seem like a bad joke with this in mind, though perhaps you could use the side/blind spot cameras to attempt to replace towing mirror functions. This remains to be seen.

Last edited:
It appears the CT front windshield isn't the same material construction as the shatterproof side windows. The parts catalog has the CT front windshield listed at $1900 whereas the side windows are described as 'shatterproof' with list prices of $200-260.

The huge front windshield area is more likely to catch a rock. And yes it is sloped but tire road debris doesn't fly horizontally. Rather it is flung up and eventually comes back down. It's quite shocking seeing a rock coming out of the sky prior to hitting a windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc and aerodyne