Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian showed videos YEARS ago of the R1T driving through water door high with it nearly going over the hood.... so somehow they can do that without bragging about "scuba battery pack". The battery pack in the Model 3 sits so low yet after 6+ yrs i still have to hear from anyone who destroyed their battery pack driving through 10 inch deep water... in times of iPhones being IP68 ... i don't think a metal box containing a battery being waterproof at 20 inch depth is a sensation...

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Rivian showed videos YEARS ago of the R1T driving through water door high with it nearly going over the hood.... so somehow they can do that without bragging about "scuba battery pack". The battery pack in the Model 3 sits so low yet after 6+ yrs i still have to hear from anyone who destroyed their battery pack driving through 10 inch deep water... in times of iPhones being IP68 ... i don't think a metal box containing a battery being waterproof at 20 inch depth is a sensation...
Nope, I'm not talking about a car surviving being submerged. Rich Rebuilds did that long ago with his first Model S recovery from the Hurricane Floods.

I'm talking about it being designed to do it. Thats a whole different story.

I'm talking about having an option in the car to turn on that option from the vehicle.

Where is the Rivian button for that feature?

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and jebinc

Nope, I'm not talking about a car surviving being submerged in a drive through. Rich Rebuilds did that long ago with his first Model S recovery from the Hurricane Floods.

I'm talking about it being designed to do it. Thats a whole different story.

I'm talking about having an option in the car to turn on that option from the vehicle.

Last edited:
Where is the option? You never answer my question.

Answer - there is no option.
Per Rivian, it's always on. 3' and under is their recommendation, they said over 3' there's a chance of the vehicle losing traction and/or floating.

Just because Rivian can do it, doesn't mean it's not impressive that the CT can as well.

You asked for links...then deleted it:

The 3' comment was from a video much like the Monroe video. Their website says 43" depending on suspension, but the last article is talking about their battery and how it's completely sealed/waterproof.

Last edited:
So we see 171 entries currently on the Cybertruck owners site that people put in the configurations for reservations.
If we believe the 1000 "Foundation" trucks. What does that say about penetration for something comparable here on this site?

I think TeslaFi accounts for 10% , and maybe here as well. Could as been discussed earlier not have another Friday offering, or very small numbers of remaining.

Seems made up considering they only moved the icon from the Theater option to the Entertainment option...

Per Rivian, it's always on. 3' and under is their recommendation, they said over 3' there's a chance of the vehicle losing traction and/or floating.

Just because Rivian can do it, doesn't mean it's not impressive that the CT can as well.

You asked for links...then deleted it:

The 3' comment was from a video much like the Monroe video. Their website says 43" depending on suspension, but the last article is talking about their battery and how it's completely sealed/waterproof.
There's probably a good reason the Tesla batteries aren't 100% sealed. I would hate to be cruising my Rivian around and have an unfortunate surprise from lack of proper venting. Rivian guinea pigs I like to call them.

• Funny
Reactions: gtgarner and jebinc
There's probably a good reason the Tesla batteries aren't 100% sealed. I would hate to be cruising my Rivian around and have an unfortunate surprise from lack of proper venting. Rivian guinea pigs I like to call them.
Question: Why under your screenname/avatar do you self describe as a, “Village Idiot”?

IMG_0130.png

Oh…. got it! 🫣

Last edited:
Lol.. your being tired of hearing about something doesn't change anything.

When you are using parts that have never been used before - it's a different "hard".

Tesla has never done Cybertruck type work before - no one has.

Here they talk about the thicknesses of their product and how they changed the thickness of the material after they started using it. Its amazing.

You do realize that the video excerpt you picked is right in the middle of a sponsorship video from 3 Dimensional Services Group? That isn't Tesla. Perhaps you intended to reference the content after the sponsorship section? Just pointing it out for anyone who doesn't realize at least the first section of the video isn't about Tesla specifically.

Last edited:
Every battery has a breather valve. again: it's not that hard to seal a battery 100% against water when your iPhone can be submerged for 30 minutes at 1.5 meters and still is fine... despite the speakers only sealed with a waterproof membrane and ports, openings etc.

Elon is a lot of marketing fluff. Who cares if the CT battery pack has "overpressure scuba technology" when every other EV truck can wade through water just as well ?

Every battery has a breather valve. again: it's not that hard to seal a battery 100% against water when your iPhone can be submerged for 30 minutes at 1.5 meters and still is fine... despite the speakers only sealed with a waterproof membrane and ports, openings etc.

Elon is a lot of marketing fluff. Who cares if the CT battery pack has "overpressure scuba technology" when every other EV truck can wade through water just as well ?

The video stated that "they" went back and forth with Elon on some of this stuff and ultimately "they" ( whoever that is) won. "They" developed this specific technology yet Elon is criticized.

You can't say Elon is an idiot and credit him at the same time for developing something.

The conversation I was comment on had nothing to do with "wading in water". Who brought up that term? For goodness sake, my P3D can wade up to the windshield. I've provided video over and over about Tesla's doing that 5 years ago. Are they talking about wading in the video?

The most recent rendition of that... given the CT inferiority, fording wise.... "Mostly just need to upgrade cabin door seals" - Elon 🤣 :rolleyes:😉👍

...and yet the base just looks the other way, over and over again...

To each.

IMG_0134.png

Last edited:
The most recent rendition of that... given the CT inferiority, fording wise....

...and yet the base just looks the other way, over and over again... To each.

View attachment 1001014

Thanks for this post - At least this confirms that we aren't talking about "wading in water". Let's at least get the terms right.

Maybe now we can get back to my original question.

What vehicle has a feature like this? (NOT TALKING ABOUT WADING IN WATER).

Like it or not...what other vehicle has a feature like this?

Thanks for this post - At least this confirms that we aren't talking about "wading in water". Let's at least get the terms right.

Perhaps some military vehicle? No production vehicle that I'm aware of, including the CT. What you have above is just more bluster from a known to grossly exaggerate (being nice with that) CEO...

Edit: And maybe this vehicle...

Deploy the pontoons, matey! Fire up those cold gas thrusters that were purported to be on the "SpaceX Roadster model," which has yet to come, after what - Five years? 🤣

Last edited:

The bottom line is that a feature like this is only necessary if the main pack isn't waterproof to begin with. Both the Rivian R1T and the F150L both utilize waterproof pack designs already - so a feature like this isn't necessary. You're trying to compare apples and oranges here it seems, unless I'm not understanding what you're trying to get at in the first place.

Perhaps some military vehicle? No production vehicle that I'm aware of, including the CT. What you have above is just more bluster from a known to grossly exaggerate (being nice with that) CEO...

Edit: And maybe this vehicle...

Thanks jebinc.

I know we have differed in option on many times, however you are the first one to actually answer my question.

I'm serious when I say "Thanks".

Reactions: jebinc