Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Danbury, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just joined the forum. Stumbled on the site searching for info on the Danbury chargers. I'll be getting my ordered CPO Model S next month, so I'm hoping the Danbury chargers will be up and running soon. I originally thought they were to be destination chargers only, which I had read I believe on the Tesla charging map. Can someone confirm they are indeed Superchargers? I live in the next town (Brookfield) and the mall is a short distance from my home. I passed by the chargers last week, but didn't take a good look at the information on them. Is it possible they are Superchargers, but will initially be set as destination chargers???

Is it possible they are Superchargers, but will initially be set as destination chargers???
No, completely different hardware and electric service requirements.

Don't get too hung up on having a local supercharger. You will want to install charging at home if at all possible, regardless of how close a supercharger may be. Charging overnight at home is way more convenient. I live within 5 miles of one (and 1 mile from a batch of public L2 Chargepoints). I didn't get home charging together until a month after getting my car. Going to the SC weekly to charge while shopping or leaving the car overnight at a public Chargepoint station gets old quickly.

No, completely different hardware and electric service requirements.

Don't get too hung up on having a local supercharger. You will want to install charging at home if at all possible, regardless of how close a supercharger may be. Charging overnight at home is way more convenient. I live within 5 miles of one (and 1 mile from a batch of public L2 Chargepoints). I didn't get home charging together until a month after getting my car. Going to the SC weekly to charge while shopping or leaving the car overnight at a public Chargepoint station gets old quickly.
Yes, I'll be in the same situation. Initially, I'll be charging at 24A, since I already have a 30A line, which I had been using for a welder. In the Spring I plan on installing at least a 40A dedicated line for charging only.

Reactions: chjch
Yes, I'll be in the same situation. Initially, I'll be charging at 24A, since I already have a 30A line, which I had been using for a welder. In the Spring I plan on installing at least a 40A dedicated line for charging only.
just a suggestion - Get the car first and use the 30A line for awhile.

You may find that the 30A circuit providing about 20 miles of range per hour of charge fills your needs.

Of course, if not, you can then just rewire.

just a suggestion - Get the car first and use the 30A line for awhile.

You may find that the 30A circuit providing about 20 miles of range per hour of charge fills your needs.

Of course, if not, you can then just rewire.
Yes, I'm semi-retired, so no hurry in charging. I had a Volt, and did well with the 110v standard line. Of course, the MS is a whole different story, but the 30A might work for me. I already have the 6-50 to 14-50 adapter so I'm all set. My welder receptacle is 6-50. Luckily, the Tesla charger only need two leads plus ground, which is the way the 6-50 is wired.

I had a NEMA 14-50 installed by a Tesla recommended electrician. Since I only have 100 amp service, at the time of install, he recommended that I dial down the amperage on the car while charging in the summer and running my air conditioner at the same time. In the winter my car charges about 29 mph at 40 amps. In the summer, at 24 amps, my car charges at about 18 mph. My daily commute is about 45 miles total. 24 amps is more than enough for me in the summer. I just plug the car in everytime I get home.

Yes, I'm semi-retired, so no hurry in charging. I had a Volt, and did well with the 110v standard line. Of course, the MS is a whole different story, but the 30A might work for me. I already have the 6-50 to 14-50 adapter so I'm all set. My welder receptacle is 6-50. Luckily, the Tesla charger only need two leads plus ground, which is the way the 6-50 is wired.
I charge at 24A on a 14-30. That gives me ~6%/hr on my 85, and covers most of my daily driving by charging after midnight (I use delayed charging to be nice to the grid). If I need more than ~35%, I start charging when I get home. If I need a lot, I'll head to the local SC for a quick boost, then finish up at home.

You might want to consider a 6-50P to 14-30R adapter (you may need to build it yourself) with a 14-30 UMC adapter. That will lock your charge rate to 24A max. Yes, you can use the 14-50 and manually dial back the current, but there have been reports of the car loosing the manually reduced setting after a firmware upgrade, if GPS gets confused, etc.

Interesting using the 14-30R adapter to force the rate a 24A. My question is, will the charger know to knock it down to 24A, or is there a possibility of using the full 30A? I'm using 10ga wire, with a 30A breaker, so at 30A for an extended period, I can see a problem in the making.

After perusing through some of this 19 page thread Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still! it seems the Tesla adapter is the only one that will automatically turn down the charge rate to 24A, and the adapter is no longer available. So, I need to be darn sure I check to be sure the charge is still set at 24A. I've read that the car, using GPS, knows the charge location, and what the last amp setting was. Still, it makes me nervous, and I'll have a couple smoke detectors near the car, along with a couple of fire extinguishers! Looks like a higher amp line might be what I really need in the end...

Interesting using the 14-30R adapter to force the rate a 24A. My question is, will the charger know to knock it down to 24A, or is there a possibility of using the full 30A? I'm using 10ga wire, with a 30A breaker, so at 30A for an extended period, I can see a problem in the making.
The plug--to-UMC adapters tell the UMC what plug/circuit rating is in use (15, 20, 30, 40, or 50A). The UMC generates a J1772 signal to the car allowing a max charge rate of 80% of the circuit's rating (12, 16, 24, 32, or 40A), to meet NEC continuous rating requirements. So with a 14-30 adapter, the car won't pull more than 24A.

Shame this Supercharger is apparently dead in the water for now. I'm starting a weekly commute from NYC to Boston for a new project and welcomed the flexibility this location would have offered.

If you come up via 684 to 84 you should be able to make it to Manchester no problem (providing you leave NYC with a 90-100% charge. You will only need about 30 minutes or so there to make it to Boston. There is much less traffic that way than on 95. But if you take 95 you might need to stop in Milford because NYC to East Greenwich, RI is doable, but a little too close for comfort, in my opinion.

If you come up via 684 to 84 you should be able to make it to Manchester no problem (providing you leave NYC with a 90-100% charge. You will only need about 30 minutes or so there to make it to Boston. There is much less traffic that way than on 95. But if you take 95 you might need to stop in Milford because NYC to East Greenwich, RI is doable, but a little too close for comfort, in my opinion.

Coming from N. Central MA...when the weather's cold, I prefer 91/95, since it's flatter, but if I decide I'm going to make the run down 15 instead, I've been stopping at Manchester for a few minutes to make sure I have enough buffer for all the hills.

Coming from N. Central MA...when the weather's cold, I prefer 91/95, since it's flatter, but if I decide I'm going to make the run down 15 instead, I've been stopping at Manchester for a few minutes to make sure I have enough buffer for all the hills.

I find I get better mileage on 15. There are hills, but I tend to drive at 65-70 vs 75+ on 91/95. That makes a difference.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd