Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a cool widget idea, pitch it here and let's go from there!

I'd really like a 1x1 widget that just showed me my current battery percent and/or rated/ideal miles, similar to the new Verizon widget showing data usage:

Screenshot_20170211-173156.png

Screenshot_20170211-173156 (1).png

@idealsol , as @supratachophobia clarified, you do not need to disable the scheduled charge in the car itself as smart charging is aware of that scheduled charge and will handle it differently according to your options.

If you do not allow charge stopping, then a stop charge command will never be sent so you run no risk and the smart charging times displayed will account for that. This comes at a cost, you cannot use time restrictions and completing charging by your completion time is not guaranteed. A start charge command may be sent earlier than your car's scheduled charge if smart charging calculated it was needed to complete charging by your completion time.

If you do allow charge stopping, then a stop charge command may be sent shortly after your scheduled charge, if necessary, to hit your desired completion time. This guarantees (within reason) that your charge will complete by your completion time and will respect any time restrictions you have in place.

I suggest giving it the benefit of the doubt, configure your smart charging options as you'd like them and leave your car's scheduled charge as it is. If you experience behavior that doesn't make sense please report here and I'll try to clear it up for you.

@Mattzilla , love it. I'll get on it, that won't take long at all. Nice to see that 3x1 widget fitting nicely on your home screen, almost as if you didn't have room for it any bigger when you made that original 3x1 suggestion ;)

Great!

Regarding the current widget, it seems to work great at either size. I will say, though, and maybe it's because I have big fingers, I have a difficult time hitting the "refresh" button in the upper right of the widget. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I accidentally open the app.

I think a good way to solve this, at least on the 1x1 widget, would be to make the entire 1x1 area the "refresh" so when you tap it you know you are getting accurate SoC without opening the app (and you won't be curious about when the last SoC was reported because you'll know it updates when you touch it).

People are talking about multiple widgets, and widgets of different sizes, but I see only one widget available, that appears to be perhaps 4 X 1 or 5 X 1. I realize that I can adjust the size, but it sounds like some of you are talking about multiple widgets, including a 1 X 1 widget, so I am confused.

Also, and more importantly, I can't seem to add a location for the smart charging. When I attempt to, the "add" button never becomes available. I have checked the two boxes for "Allow Charge Stopping", and also the "Only Charge From" box. When I try to type a name in the "Title" field, the return key clears the field instead of submitting the information. So while the "cancel" button is selectable, the "add" button never becomes selectable.

Thanks!

I enabled smart charging last night to finish by 6:00 AM. I did a range charge because I hadn't done one in about 6 months, and this was the charge pattern:

DashboardForTesla-SmartCharging.png

Is it normal for the Smart Charging to cycle the charger like this? I had assumed that it would compute approximately how long the charge would take and then start it such that it would finish by the end time, with a little margin for error.

Or is it learning this first time and it will eventually do that?

People are talking about multiple widgets, and widgets of different sizes, but I see only one widget available, that appears to be perhaps 4 X 1 or 5 X 1. I realize that I can adjust the size, but it sounds like some of you are talking about multiple widgets, including a 1 X 1 widget, so I am confused.

Also, and more importantly, I can't seem to add a location for the smart charging. When I attempt to, the "add" button never becomes available. I have checked the two boxes for "Allow Charge Stopping", and also the "Only Charge From" box. When I try to type a name in the "Title" field, the return key clears the field instead of submitting the information. So while the "cancel" button is selectable, the "add" button never becomes selectable.

Thanks!

The 1x1 was a suggestion that I made. Scroll up. It's not available (yet).

@Mattzilla & @GTIceman , the refresh button mis-clicks are a fair critique, not much I can do in terms of size as it's already packed tight, but I'll adjust the input area at least to help prevent a mis-click.

@Andyw2100 , you're correct the current widget available is a Control widget with sizes 3x1 and wider. I'm working on a charge widget, both a 1x1 and a larger variant that will come out soon as it's finished.

Also, to add a smart charging location be sure your vehicle is plugged in before adding. This ensures the current location is in-fact a place to charge. If you are not plugged in, the green + add button is disabled and indicates you aren't plugged in.

If your issue is not the above but actually a disabled "Add" button when adding the smart charging location from the dialog, be sure to give the location a name/title, and be sure you provided an estimated charge rate. Smart charging will use the actual charge rate once it's available when charging, but otherwise it relies on a ball-park charge rate you're expecting as an estimate to start with.

I just tested the return key on the title, and wow that's embarrassing :oops: It doesn't clear the field, it just inserts a newline in the title (not intended)... I've fixed that, thanks for your patience, there was bound to be something I missed in such a large gap in releasing new features.

@SomeJoe7777 , the stop and restart charge behavior is intentional because I can't change the charge rate remotely, all I can do is throttle the charging via stops and starts. Still, that amount of restarts you experienced is a bit much, 0 to 2 is a reasonable expectation. I've actually identified a small fix to address that and improve reliability so I'll get a fix out soon, thanks for your patience and hope you don't mind giving it another shot here soon.

@Andyw2100 , you're correct the current widget available is a Control widget with sizes 3x1 and wider. I'm working on a charge widget, both a 1x1 and a larger variant that will come out soon as it's finished.

OK. Since we're talking about widgets, how about a version of the basic one available now that doesn't include the space for roof position for those of us with solid roofs?

Also, to add a smart charging location be sure your vehicle is plugged in before adding. This ensures the current location is in-fact a place to charge. If you are not plugged in, the green + add button is disabled and indicates you aren't plugged in.

If your issue is not the above but actually a disabled "Add" button when adding the smart charging location from the dialog, be sure to give the location a name/title, and be sure you provided an estimated charge rate. Smart charging will use the actual charge rate once it's available when charging, but otherwise it relies on a ball-park charge rate you're expecting as an estimate to start with.

I just tested the return key on the title, and wow that's embarrassing :oops: It doesn't clear the field, it just inserts a newline in the title (not intended)... I've fixed that, thanks for your patience, there was bound to be something I missed in such a large gap in releasing new features.

The vehicle was definitely plugged in. I'm not sure where to provide an estimated charge rate. Perhaps I can't do that until i have entered a title, and of course I can't enter a title because of the bug you acknowledged above. When you say you have fixed that, do you mean in a version soon to be available in the Play Store? Because I don't see a new version available currently, and the behavior is not fixed on my currently installed version. (I didn't expect it could be. I figured you'd need to make an update available.)

Thanks!

Reactions: SG57
@Andyw2100 , ah I hadn't thought about those without sun roofs, I'll address that now.

To provide an estimated charge rate, it's the first row in the options. Touch the red part of "Charging at #.# mi per hour".

smart-charging-jpg.212638

I haven't released a new version with some fixes yet, when I do I'll let you know on here. I may have one by this evening.

@Andyw2100 , ah I hadn't thought about those without sun roofs, I'll address that now.

To provide an estimated charge rate, it's the first row in the options. Touch the red part of "Charging at #.# mi per hour".

smart-charging-jpg.212638

I haven't released a new version with some fixes yet, when I do I'll let you know on here. I may have one by this evening.
In your sample screenshot, isn't a "complete charging by 9" inconsistent with "only charge from 12-7", or does 7am set the upper limit for starting a charge?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

Excellent! Thanks!

To provide an estimated charge rate, it's the first row in the options. Touch the red part of "Charging at #.# mi per hour"

OK, so with this additional information I was able to get the "add" button to become available, and I set up a scheduled charge end time. I have scheduled charging set in the car, but I set a start time later than the start time Dashboard For Tesla should estimate. I wanted to leave "Allow Charge Stopping" unchecked, as I definitely did not want my charge starting and stopping multiple times. If it ends too early, it's no big deal.

So, I really wanted the charge to end at 6:45 AM tomorrow morning, but to be safe I initially set 6:30 AM as the end time. I also set the estimated charge rate at 48 Miles Per Hour, even though I think it is more like 50.

The car is showing 88 rated miles remaining. It will charge to 90% if it uses the car's settings. (I don't see a place to change this within the app.) 90% for me is 226 miles. The car may lose a few more miles due to vampire loss, but in rough terms, it will be adding about 140 miles, which should take, again, in rough terms, about three hours.

The first time I set this up, the app indicated, via the notifications bar, that charging would start at 2:40 AM. This was a reasonable start time, but because I expected the charge to be done about an hour before I really wanted it to be, I decided to make some changes. So I changed the rate to 50, and the end time to 6:45 AM, thinking that would have the charge start 20 or 25 minutes later. Instead, with no other variables changed, the charge start time moved to 12:34 AM! The move is in the wrong direction, based on the data I changed, and it is off by a significant amount! If I allow this charge to take place as scheduled, it would end about three hours too early.

Please advise.

Thanks!

@SG57, Just FYI, here is last night's smart charge:

DashboardForTesla-SmartCharging2.png

I have the following settings for the Smart Charging Location:
  • Charge at estimated 58.0 mi per hour
  • Complete charging by 06:00
  • Allow charge stopping checked
  • Only charge from 21:00 to 06:00

The initial SOC was 68%, with a setpoint of 90%.

By my "back-of-the-napkin" calculations, this should have been:

(90% - 68%) = 22 %, assume 85 kWh battery has 78 kWh usable, 0.22 * 78 = 17.16 kWh needed.

17.16 kWh * (1000 Wh/1 kWh) / (290 Wh/mi) = 59.17 rated miles to add.

Estimated charge rate = 58 mi/hr, so approximate time:

59.17 ml / 58 mi/hr) = 1.02 hours. Start charge at 6:00 - 1.02 = approximately 4:58 AM.

Can also do estimated time using power vice rated miles and estimate:

Wall power from TED = 18.6 kW, with charger efficiency of 90%.

Time = 17.16 / (18.6 * 0.9) = 1.025 hours, or start time of 6:00 - 1.025 = approximately 4:57 AM.

@idealsol , the time restrictions take precedence over the completion time, so by having a 9am completion time but restricting charge to 12 AM to 7 AM, it adjusts your completion time to be at the end of your time restrictions so your effective completion time is 7 AM. This means if you needed a 3 hour charge, instead of starting to charge at 6 am you'll now start at 4 am. The same goes for adjusting the charge start time forward to respect your time restriction start time.

Time restrictions will adjust smart charging to fit your charging to within your time restrictions such that charge completion is as close to your desired time as possible.

Does that help? Sorry if I explained it poorly.

@Andyw2100 & @SomeJoe7777 , great to see such detailed feedback! I should have known there would be so many technical questions into how smart charging works and explained the nuances better to explain what's going on. Perhaps you guys may see a good idea for improvements.

Let me start by saying the current smart charging implementation has 1 main issue: there are wild fluctuations in the reported charge rate while not charging. These fluctuations then impact the restart behavior such that it can happen an unnecessary amount of times and just throw off the experience entirely evidence by your notification times @Andyw2100 being just totally wrong.

I have a fix for this in-place and it will be tested tonight slated for release tomorrow with some other improvements - a 2x1 control widget, no sun roof support for control widget, protection against control widget refresh misclicks, bug fixes, and maybe a 1x1 charge widget.

As for smart charging calculations there are some special things to note if you do the math yourself and see some discrepancies:
  • There is a 15 minute buffer against restart behavior (stopping an active charge to resume it later)

• Before a smart charging session starts, a 10% reduction is placed on the manual charge rate when calculating the required charge start time creating an effective buffer against ballpark manual charge rates that are set too high

• Once you receive the app update, the manual charge rate setting will automatically adjust closer to the actual charge rates smart charging is experiencing over time at that location

• Once you receive the app update, the charge start time is calculated either using the actual charge rate reported when charging, else using the manual charge rate
Sorry for the rough start guys, bear with me while I tidy it up. Tesla's APIs are temperamental and undocumented so I'm stuck discovering the set-backs the hard way. Mark my word, we'll have your power readings looking like this:

upload_2017-2-13_17-6-58.png

Credit: @agw (if you don't want this shared let me know and I'll remove it)

Last edited:
I don't know if this is a bug or rather a feature working very differently than I would expect it to. I just received a "Plug-In Reminder", notifying me that my car was, in fact, plugged in.

When I activated that reminder I assumed that it would notify me at the set time if the car was not plugged in. I would guess that is how most people would expect that kind of reminder to work. I really don't need to be reminded if the car is already plugged in. I mean it's like, "Hey--Congratulations! You remembered to plug in your car. Good job!"

If there really are people who want the notification to work that way, perhaps there could be an optional check box: "notify even if plugged in." I think the default should be to only notify if the car is not plugged in.

Thanks!

No worries on the graph, be my guest.
@Andyw2100 Indeed you get a notification either way, the idea being that if you don't receive a notification you don't know if the car is really plugged in. Also, since a working internet connection between the car your phone/tablet and the tesla servers is required, you get reassured that it is all ready to go for a smooth charging session.

• Helpful
Reactions: SG57 and Andyw2100
@Andyw2100 Indeed you get a notification either way, the idea being that if you don't receive a notification you don't know if the car is really plugged in. Also, since a working internet connection between the car your phone/tablet and the tesla servers is required, you get reassured that it is all ready to go for a smooth charging session.

Thanks! I guess that makes sense.

No worries on the graph, be my guest.
It would make much more sense/usage to me if I only got notified when the car was *not* plugged in. Seems like this could be an easy option. Our Chevrolet Volt app only notifies you if the car is not plugged in and it worked well that way.