Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@StaticDischarge , yes my apologies.

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone, the 2.0.1 update to Dashboard for Tesla yesterday introduced a sign in failure for Tesla accounts whose password contained certain special characters. There was no security breach or damage done to your account during this time, only failed log-in attempts as if you entered an incorrect password. This could in turn lock your account if you attempted to sign in too many times, just as if you tried to sign in with the incorrect password too many times.

This issue has been fixed in the most recent app update, 2.0.2+, and I highly recommend updating by visiting the Play Store listing or by tapping the "Check for Update" button in the About dialog or screen within the Dashboard for Tesla app.

If you took it upon yourself to uninstall/reinstall or clear the app data, unfortunately you cleared out all of the app settings which includes any remembered usernames and passwords, or plug-in reminders, or smart charging locations, or automatic behaviors, or trips, or widgets, etc.

Last edited:
I started getting audible notifications with this update. Most often it was 2 chimes when Cabin Temperature Protection was updating. This morning it was clearly 4 different chimes as it worked through the below process. Because of the intrusive chimes, I turned all notifications off, and it still chimed all 4 times this morning:

Cabin Temperature Protection
--Updating....
--Waking sensors....
--Processing....
--Cabin temperature in range....

I like the notifications in the task bar, but I don't need the chimes.

It would also be nice to not have the Temperature protection notification pop up at the bottom of the screen during other tasks, particularly if the phone is displaying something in full-screen mode (watching a video). This part is not new, just hasn't bothered me enough to inquire about it before.

Overall, this is a GREAT app! I like the new Notifications tab, just needs a bit of tweaking. Well worth the nominal fee you charge.

Hey all,

Just put out an update with some key quality of life improvements and a new feature I'm quite proud of - Vehicle Notifications.

-

BpaDmt8.png

Vehicle Notifications

You can now opt-in to automatically receive any number of vehicle notifications of your choosing akin to the official app, albeit with more flexibility.

For a detailed explanation, I reverse engineered the official Tesla app's push notifications so Dashboard for Tesla perfectly emulates the vehicle notifications feature only with less restrictions and more cool things to come - such as automatic behaviors tied to a vehicle notification!

This is the full list of vehicle notifications you are able to opt-in to receiving for your subscribed vehicles:
  • Car Alarm
  • Car Active*
  • Please Move Car
  • Climate Keeper Stopped
  • Charging Started
  • Charging Interrupted
  • Charging Completed
  • Firmware Update Available
  • Key Added*
  • Key Removed*
  • New Referral
  • Referral Secret Level Up
  • Summon Started
  • Summon Complete
  • Summon Failed
  • Grid Fault Contactor Trip*
  • Grid Resync Success*
Items marked with an * indicate I am not positive on what they are for and can only guess. Feel free to speculate with me below.

In addition to the above notifications, there are a number of urgent notifications you cannot opt-out of receiving - such as summon panic failure, or charge tapering. I could add support to silence (AKA not show the notification) these in the future if enough people would rather not see them pop-up, but just know your device will always technically receive these push notifications over the network for your subscribed vehicles even if I weren't to show it as a notification.

-

Other Changes

In case you haven't found them already, there have been a few other changes made recently that haven't been mentioned in a release post I'll list here.
  • Tesla Tips - a central repository for useful tips and hints for Tesla owners
  • Trips - a trip tracking feature
  • Tesla Referral Program Support - view your account referral details
  • Panic Button - automatically honk and flash your lights every few seconds when active
  • Estimate Charge Time Graph - view a graph of your projected charge time when charging
  • Quality of live improvements
  • Bug fixes
-

Coming Up
  • Wear Summon - I mean it this time!
  • Charge Time/Price Estimator Tool - calculate estimated charge times and prices easily
  • Powerwall Support - full support for Powerwall product APIs

-

If you're interested in trying the app out, use this access code for full access to every feature the app has to offer usable on your actual Tesla vehicle valid this Sunday-only:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds when signing in.

-

Thanks all for your support, let me know if you need anything.

Reactions: SG57
@SG57
  1. Can you add a way to remove old widgets? I just upgraded my phone and I have some disconnected widgets now and no way to delete them.
  2. Not sure what's going on here, maybe you have an idea. I have a weekday smart charge setup for 6am. For the past 2 hours my phone keeps giving the notification of evaluating smartcharge rules which is triggering all the way to my watch. I'm up to 2.0.3 and that stopped it happening every 3 minutes at least. But it's still doing that check, haven't figured out the frequency yet. Okay, it just happened twice while writing this.
  3. Just an idea.
    1. I was setting up automatic behaviors and it would be nice if when creating pressing on the giant settings icon would bring up the menu that hitting the green + icon does.
    2. I can see that clicking on the checkbox enables/disables a behavior, but then you have to click on the 3 dots for editing one. I'm still getting used to having beveled edges so maybe my difficulty will go away soon but I'm having trouble clicking on that small area next to the edge. Possible to put the enable/disable checkbox in the edit screen and make the whole behavior card trigger edit?
  4. I would love if we could hide certain tabs. Such as, I haven't paid for speed clocking yet and never really use the location tab. Would love to just hide those away.

Are the 0 to 60 graphs stored automatically? Anyone have the folder name offhand? I did a couple of runs Sunday with the 1-day code and now I cannot seem to find them on my phone.

One had a 0 to 60 in 3.91s on my s100d - best I have seen. Now I cannot find the evidence! :(

@sku100 , are you running Android 8.0+ (Oreo) by any chance?

All notifications got updated due to the new Android Oreo requirements that all notifications have a channel. This means if you're running Android Oreo or newer, you can now fully customize how you receive notifications in 3 categories - General, Vehicle Notifications, and Background Services - by going to the Android settings for the Dashboard for Tesla app.

Vehicle notifications default to high importance where they show everywhere, make noise and peek (visually intrude).
General and background services notifications default to a normal importance where it shows everywhere, makes noise, but does not peek (visually intrude).

I'll tweak each default notification importance level down 1 level, this should prevent the noisy behavior on background services that you're seeing by default and I think vehicle notifications shouldn't visually intrude as making noise should suffice.

As for your comment about cabin temperature protection, do you mean the small pop-up message at the bottom (called a toast) that says "Cabin Temperature Protection"? If so I agree, it's too verbose for how frequent the service runs. I've removed it just now per your request, but I will keep the "Cabin Temperature Protection Stopped" pop-up message in as that will only happen if you explicitly stop the service from the notification's "Stop" button, or if the battery drops too low forcing a service stoppage so the frequency of that pop-up is rare.

Currently there is no way to change these notification settings automatically for you (to prevent malicious apps from messing with your preferences most likely), so I will also add a button on the Vehicle Notifications screen to take you to the correct Android settings screen automatically to edit these settings, as well as add a Notifications Settings category with similar buttons to Dashboard for Tesla's Settings screen.

@KArnold , unfortunately speed clocking recordings are not saved automatically in an attempt to avoid unwanted old/stale data. You must save the recordings yourself by tapping the "Download" icon in the details dialog after the recording is complete. However, based on your scenario I don't see why Dashboard for Tesla can't at least keep a small history of past runs automatically without the need to download them explicitly. I'll add it to the list and get it in there soon-ish.

For now, you or anyone else can use this access code valid today-only and re-record your run:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds when signing in.

@miken79 , let's see.

1. I cannot add or remove any widget, I can only remove the vehicle association to an existing widget. The widget deletion is handled by the home-screen/launcher and requires the user do the deleting in most every launcher I've seen. You can delete/remove old widgets by long-press and dragging them off the screen to a trash can icon usually.

2. Smart charging will poll more frequently as your charge completion time draws nearer, but it shouldn't do it any faster than once per minute. Perhaps the notification update made this more apparent/more annoying, give it a try later when the new update is out here later today and see if it helps?

3. To your first part, I don't see why not. I'll add it so the settings button that exists on some devices will automatically bring up some main actions on different screens.
    To your second part, I certainly could move the enable/disable check box to the edit screen and make the whole card trigger the edit dialog, I actually had it like this for awhile to begin with but I liked the quick disable/enable ability from the list of behaviors more. I can adjust some padding to increase the touch area on that menu button to help you with this in the update later.

4. I've heard some people ask for the ability to hide some tabs, or re-arrange the bottom 5 tabs. I think these are all fair suggestions and I'll add it to the list, it's just some tricky UI work to support this dynamic tab magic is all.

Last edited:
For the widgets. I have none on my home screens but I show 2 within the app. I have no idea how to get rid of those and no way to add them to my home screen as it just creates a new widget in the app asking to link it to a car. Very odd. I suppose I could wipe all my settings, but ew. :)

For my smart charging. I have it to end at 6am, yet I kept getting updates about it on my watch all day until I'd had enough and disabled it.

@bareyb , you certainly can enable Camper Mode from the app and let it run while sitting in the car, so long as the vehicle is in park the HVAC should automatically start every 15 minutes if not already running.

@miken79 , if you're seeing widgets appear in the list that aren't on the homescreen then that is an issue with your Android OS's
app widget manager service falsely reporting old or non-existent widgets. There's not much I can do on my end as I have no indication on my end if that widget is indeed visible on your device. You can try a device reboot, that tends to clear out old data in the services.

Curious, what version of Android are you running? Oreo? And is your vehicle plugged into a smart charging location? Smart Charging polls every 15 minutes to check on your vehicle producing a "Processing" notification to see if it is at a smart charging location and plugged in before giving you a permanent notification telling you what's going on. These temporary processing notifications if they are the problem are really low priority honestly, I can see about making them not intrude at all or I can see about adding a setting that allows disabling them. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the issue, I can imagine a processing notification causing a watch to vibrate every 15 minutes being annoying though.

Reactions: bareyb
Yes, Oreo. Rebooting still shows the widgets. I'll try wiping my app tomorrow.

When I got the notifications. It's just temp. I don't see it on the phone as I was actively using it at the time, and it only shows on my watch long enough for me to read it. This was while I was at work where I can't charge.

Currently I have the smart charge notification that it will start tonight as I'm home and plugged in. It is updating and vibrating my watch... Maybe I need to ignore the app in Wear? Since I have your app installed in the watch anyway?

@SG57 This is why this app is worth supporting. Thanks for the quick response.

You are correct about Oreo, on a Pixel XL.
Since my post, I found within Settings the Notification Settings section and changed all the sound settings to "none" which eliminated the problem. If you've addressed it within the app, I will turn them back on and see what happens.

You were correct about my toast concern.

Thanks again for your quick response!

@sku100 , are you running Android 8.0+ (Oreo) by any chance?

All notifications got updated due to the new Android Oreo requirements that all notifications have a channel. This means if you're running Android Oreo or newer, you can now fully customize how you receive notifications in 3 categories - General, Vehicle Notifications, and Background Services - by going to the Android settings for the Dashboard for Tesla app.

Vehicle notifications default to high importance where they show everywhere, make noise and peek (visually intrude).
General and background services notifications default to a normal importance where it shows everywhere, makes noise, but does not peek (visually intrude).

I'll tweak each default notification importance level down 1 level, this should prevent the noisy behavior on background services that you're seeing by default and I think vehicle notifications shouldn't visually intrude as making noise should suffice.

As for your comment about cabin temperature protection, do you mean the small pop-up message at the bottom (called a toast) that says "Cabin Temperature Protection"? If so I agree, it's too verbose for how frequent the service runs. I've removed it just now per your request, but I will keep the "Cabin Temperature Protection Stopped" pop-up message in as that will only happen if you explicitly stop the service from the notification's "Stop" button, or if the battery drops too low forcing a service stoppage so the frequency of that pop-up is rare.

Currently there is no way to change these notification settings automatically for you (to prevent malicious apps from messing with your preferences most likely), so I will also add a button on the Vehicle Notifications screen to take you to the correct Android settings screen automatically to edit these settings, as well as add a Notifications Settings category with similar buttons to Dashboard for Tesla's Settings screen.

@KArnold , unfortunately speed clocking recordings are not saved automatically in an attempt to avoid unwanted old/stale data. You must save the recordings yourself by tapping the "Download" icon in the details dialog after the recording is complete. However, based on your scenario I don't see why Dashboard for Tesla can't at least keep a small history of past runs automatically without the need to download them explicitly. I'll add it to the list and get it in there soon-ish.

For now, you or anyone else can use this access code valid today-only and re-record your run:

Reactions: DaddyP713
@SG57 I had to set Background Services notifications to "no sound" within Settings to make the audible notification go away.

@SG57 This is why this app is worth supporting. Thanks for the quick response.

You are correct about Oreo, on a Pixel XL.
Since my post, I found within Settings the Notification Settings section and changed all the sound settings to "none" which eliminated the problem. If you've addressed it within the app, I will turn them back on and see what happens.

You were correct about my toast concern.

Thanks again for your quick response!

@miken79 , honestly these ideas are so obvious in retrospect they should already be implemented, so if anything I feel bad for not putting on my end-user hat sometimes and catching them sooner!

@sku100 , great to hear. All new-users of the app on Android Oreo will default to non-intrusive / non-noisy notifications, it's only those who updated immediately that had the burden of changing it themselves.

Either way, glad to hear it's all sorted. Let me know if you have any more issues as I have a few more low hanging fruit updates coming soon so it'd be easy enough to add stuff in.

@sku100 , yikes you're not joking! I've received 50+ crash reports in the past 3 days. Turns out there has been an API change on Tesla's servers. I'll be putting a fix out within the hour, sorry for the delay and any inconvenience! And actually I'm in the process of implementing my own push-notifications in the next update to automatically distribute important information such as this (app updates, or API changes, etc.) to keep everybody in the loop.

Last edited:
I've identified the issue and released a fix for it in the latest version of the app, be sure to update ASAP.

The issue was with the latest Tesla firmware changing its data contracts slightly. I've put a lot of safeguards in place to help mitigate and prevent a total failure like this that renders the app unusable should this ever happen in the future.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: DaddyP713