Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, that may be the reason but I'd like to know whether it really is caused by bad connection or any problems on my phone itself. I kept my phone on and was consistently on LTE network, and disabled battery optimization on Android.
I would plug in at a location with good cell connectivity and try Smart Charge there to be sure everything is working, then start trying to get it working in the garage.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I was wondering how useful this will be? What would be cases where it comes in handy? I can see it being useful if somebody needs to put something into or get something out of the trunk/frunk and you can't go there to open them.
I used it after leaving from BJ's Restaurant and there were a group of people standing by my car talking. After I opened the frunk, you see a bunch of them turn around. The Model 3 frunk is abruptly louder in how it opens compared to my Model S. It was my subtle way of saying GTFO.

• Funny
Reactions: SG57
I used it after leaving from BJ's Restaurant and there were a group of people standing by my car talking. After I opened the frunk, you see a bunch of them turn around. The Model 3 frunk is abruptly louder in how it opens compared to my Model S. It was my subtle way of saying GTFO.
All you need is a recording of an attack dog that growls when the trunk opens, and you're set.

• Funny
Today I got a quickly (one second) disappearing banner at app logon. It was hard to read so I got it on video.
There where no update via the app but after reinstalling latest version the message went away. :)

View attachment 271149
Gosh you guys are like hawks! That's a silly layout bug I introduced for testing but forgot to remove. Yes right now there is a chance you will briefly see the upgrade banner at the top even if you aren't eligible, that will no longer happen in the next release. If you really want to see the upgrade banner right now, go into the Demo mode and select the Demo S Refresh vehicle and you'll see the banner at the top of the home screen.

This banner is really not all that impressive, it's just to catch your eye if you are eligible and if you dismiss it by tapping the X you won't see it for a month.

@KidDoc and @Hacksaw , no Samsung Gear support as of yet, but it IS on the roadmap just as soon as I finish the few items for the Android app and Wear app so I can safely put them down and truly commit to a new platform a la Tizen OS. Sorry it's taking so long.

@Veggen , sorry for the silly flash of a performance upgrade being available, this is purely a cosmetic bug that's been fixed already just not released, disregard for the time being.

@scottf200 & @powerfactor , love the idea! I kind of miss the 30 minute auto-off functionality of the HVAC on older firmwares. Many times now I've started the HVAC thinking I'd be leaving in 10 minutes only to take an hour and feel kinda bad I wasted battery for no reason.

Come to think of it, this change in auto-off behavior introduces a bug in the cabin temperature protection and camper mode features as they expect the auto-off behavior in some cases as desirable. To be specific, these services used to rely on the vehicle to auto-off its HVAC after <30 minutes in some cases. This means Camper Mode service stopping doesn't actually stop the HVAC ever like it would on older firmwares naturally after 30 minutes.

I'll come up with a fix for this and get it out soon perhaps also with a solution for your suggestion as well.

@KArnold & @scottf200 , currently I simply check the perf_config property's value to determine if you are eligible for a performance upgrade. I'll improve this logic to only apply to 60D and 75D vehicles until 100D uncorking is possible (?), sorry for the confusion.

@Terje79 , you can change the distance, time, and temperature units in the settings on the Wear app. They are managed separately than the mobile app as the two are technically 2 separate app installations. I could add a sort of settings transfer to make this easier but for now it's easy enough to change the units one-time on each device.

To access the settings on the Wear app:

JnrP53a.png

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
@CuriousG , actuate front and rear trunk command support already exists in Dashboard for Tesla, however you will only see the commands if your vehicle firmware supports it something only Model 3s currently do due to the lack of a keyfob on those vehicles most likely.

If you're curious what the controls look like, sign into the Demo mode of the app and select the Model 3 vehicle then check the Controls screen.

@hiroshiy , bad connection _should_ be shown in the service errors for Smart Charging. You can view Smart Charging service errors by going to the Settings screen in the app, scroll down to Background Services section and tap the "View Service Errors" menu item. If you don't see any service errors, then none occurred which could mean a variety of things so I'd start by verifying your smart charging location's settings are correct. If you're underground, your vehicle's GPS could be reporting way off so perhaps try increasing the radius setting from 10 meters to 100 meters?

@KArnold & @scottf200 , currently I simply check the perf_config property's value to determine if you are eligible for a performance upgrade. I'll improve this logic to only apply to 60D and 75D vehicles until 100D uncorking is possible (?), sorry for the confusion.
FYI, uncorking is possible on the S and X 100D. I have had my X 100D uncorked but I don't think you can determine the eligibility is via the API from all my reading. You can from CANbus data I think ;) See table my 2nd link here that shows some users with 100s uncorked: Vendor - Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla Best to remove this from your app for 100s. Thx.

@hiroshiy , bad connection _should_ be shown in the service errors for Smart Charging. You can view Smart Charging service errors by going to the Settings screen in the app, scroll down to Background Services section and tap the "View Service Errors" menu item. If you don't see any service errors, then none occurred which could mean a variety of things so I'd start by verifying your smart charging location's settings are correct. If you're underground, your vehicle's GPS could be reporting way off so perhaps try increasing the radius setting from 10 meters to 100 meters?
Thanks. I made sure that the service errors were not reported. I also remember that when I clicked "allow to stop charging", it stopped charging, and when the time comes to start charging, it didn't start, with no log. This might be caused by GPS reported location fluctuated, as you suggested, so I'll try 400m tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

So I tried to set the radius to 99 meters, but it still didn't work. Attached is the service log.
Screenshot_20180115-192036.png

The "end time" was set to 7:30pm and there is a log entry for 7pm. The battery had 76% and I set the limit to 80%. At 7:20pm I confirmed the car didn't start charging, so I started Dashboard app and let it connect to the car. On the charging screen it showed charging has been stopped, but when I refreshed the screen, it started to charge and showed the completion time of 7:45pm.

Does this seem to suggest that the background services are not working on my phone? Since it started charging when I started the app (I was several hundred meters away), the radius should not be a problem.

• Informative
So I tried to set the radius to 99 meters, but it still didn't work. Attached is the service log.
View attachment 273425
The "end time" was set to 7:30pm and there is a log entry for 7pm. The battery had 76% and I set the limit to 80%. At 7:20pm I confirmed the car didn't start charging, so I started Dashboard app and let it connect to the car. On the charging screen it showed charging has been stopped, but when I refreshed the screen, it started to charge and showed the completion time of 7:45pm.

Does this seem to suggest that the background services are not working on my phone? Since it started charging when I started the app (I was several hundred meters away), the radius should not be a problem.
I don't know the answer to your issues, but just wanted to comment on the last sentence, just to try to help you troubleshoot.

The signal is sent via your phone to the Tesla server, and the Tesla server sends the message to your car. There is at no time communication directly between your phone and your car. You can be 5 feet from the car or 500 miles -- it makes no difference, as long as BOTH your phone and your car has EITHER a wifi or cell connection.

Hi all,

Just got back and am just now getting to everyone's response.

@Kacey Green , does this happen every time? Can you reproduce it and submit a crash report? I'll fix this right away with a little more info, a crash report preferably. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Used the send logcat feature let me know what you'd like me to try next

@scottf200 , ah good to know. I've restricted the upgrade eligibility detection to only apply for 60 and 75 kWh models until we can accurately detect it for 100 via the APIs, it'll be available in the next app update should be out soon with some other fixes.

@hiroshiy , ah that's a useful screenshot. Those service errors indicate an exception/program error (albeit obfuscated). This may be a bug introduced in a recent app update or the result of a Tesla API change, I'll try to reproduce it on my end and get a fix out. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

And to answer your question, the service runs every 15 minutes or so to check in on your vehicle's location, then if plugged in at an enabled smart charging location perform smart charging logic per your location's settings possibly starting or stopping charging to better reach your target completion time. By any chance, was your vehicle plugged in at an enabled smart charging location at midnight, etc. when the service errors occurred?

@Kacey Green , thanks I've received the logcat output you've sent and will look over it now. However, is the app still crashing? This logcat doesn't indicate any errors occurred, and if an error does occur and it causes the app to crash you _should_ be presented with an error dialog indicating the app has crashed prompting you to submit a crash report. Does this happen for you, even if it crashes in the background, or has the crashing stopped?

• Helpful
@scottf200 , ah good to know. I've restricted the upgrade eligibility detection to only apply for 60 and 75 kWh models until we can accurately detect it for 100 via the APIs, it'll be available in the next app update should be out soon with some other fixes.

@hiroshiy , ah that's a useful screenshot. Those service errors indicate an exception/program error (albeit obfuscated). This may be a bug introduced in a recent app update or the result of a Tesla API change, I'll try to reproduce it on my end and get a fix out. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

And to answer your question, the service runs every 15 minutes or so to check in on your vehicle's location, then if plugged in at an enabled smart charging location perform smart charging logic per your location's settings possibly starting or stopping charging to better reach your target completion time. By any chance, was your vehicle plugged in at an enabled smart charging location at midnight, etc. when the service errors occurred?

@Kacey Green , thanks I've received the logcat output you've sent and will look over it now. However, is the app still crashing? This logcat doesn't indicate any errors occurred, and if an error does occur and it causes the app to crash you _should_ be presented with an error dialog indicating the app has crashed prompting you to submit a crash report. Does this happen for you, even if it crashes in the background, or has the crashing stopped?
It crashed as soon as the email program got focus to send that file. Anytime the full app loses focus to the home screen or another app I get a system message unfortunately dashboard for tesla has stopped, and I believe close and one other option, smart charging still works though

And to answer your question, the service runs every 15 minutes or so to check in on your vehicle's location, then if plugged in at an enabled smart charging location perform smart charging logic per your location's settings possibly starting or stopping charging to better reach your target completion time. By any chance, was your vehicle plugged in at an enabled smart charging location at midnight, etc. when the service errors occurred ?
At around midnight, my car was parked at home with weak GPS reception (covered parking on the ground) but super good LTE reception. It is not registered as a smart charging location. My only smart charging location is at the office.

Will try after you update the app.
Also if there's anything I can try to help debug my case, please let me know.