Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @SG57, I'm still testing the scheduled charging and today I found this. Possibly bad cell reception caused this but just FYI.
Point Blur_Jan192018_102306.jpg

Reactions: SG57
@hiroshiy , well that's not right, I'm not sure the cell reception matters since all relevant data is represented in that screenshot. I have a few theories.

First of all, can you reproduce the issue? Toggle smart charging on and off (slowly?) see if it still shows the same, bad scheduled charge times.

It may be a calculation error caused by working in kilometers instead of miles. Can you change the distance unit to miles and try to reproduce?

It may be a days-of-week logic error, I see it's friday and you only have M-F enabled so perhaps the fact it's getting close to Saturday might be a special case. Can you change your days of week enabled to enable all days including saturday and sunday then try to reproduce? How about just saturday?

I'll try to reproduce on my end, if either of us can get it to reproduce reliably we'll get it fixed pronto!

Reactions: hiroshiy
Sorry all for any delay in responses on here or thru the support email, I've been in the process of moving all week long (read: mostly packing -_- ) and just last night got everything moved in though I'm still setting up my desk.

Still, I've finished a lot of minor improvements and bug fixes this week with some suggested by you guys, here's some notable ones:
  • Camper Mode & Cabin Temperature Protection now use a run-time duration setting instead of an end time setting.
    This allows you to run each service without having to calculate the end-time yourself should you want it to automatically turn off after X minutes. Effectively this gives you back the 30-minute-auto-off HVAC behavior new firmwares lost recently - simply start Camper Mode then trust after your duration period it will automatically turn off.

• Wear errors now offer a resolve button if the error is able to be resolved by the user on both mobile and Wear app.
    The button will take the user to the appropriate screen to resolve the issue, quick and easy. This includes errors such as not signed into a Google account, or Play services missing, or Play services needing updated, or if a service is stopped/disabled. This should save some headaches!

• Ticker Text Animation setting for both mobile and Wear app.
    You can now disable the ticket text animation if you prefer instant visual updates on temperature or power/speed/charge rate.
And then some...

I should have the update out some time this weekend then catch up on support. Thanks for your patience!

I have a potential feature request:

On cold mornings, about an hour before I leave for work, I turn on the cabin heater and set the charge limit to 100%. This typically gets me up to 93-94%. Then, when I leave, I set the charging limit back to 90%.

I charge to 90% when I get home to maximize use of solar power that I generate. Typically, I get home with less than 50% remaining.

I can see that it might be possible to automate some of this via your app, but it isn't clear that I can do all of it.

Can you advise as to a magic combination of settings to do this? Otherwise, if not, could this be added as a feature?

I have a potential feature request:
[One hr before Work] On cold mornings, about an hour before I leave for work, I turn on the cabin heater and set the charge limit to 100%. This typically gets me up to 93-94%.

[Right before leaving for work ] Then, when I leave, I set the charging limit back to 90%. I charge to 90% when I get home to maximize use of solar power that I generate. Typically, I get home with less than 50% remaining.
I can see that it might be possible to automate some of this via your app, but it isn't clear that I can do all of it.
Can you advise as to a magic combination of settings to do this? Otherwise, if not, could this be added as a feature?

It looks like you can just use Charge then Smart Charging within it to set up two entries. My examples below for other needs I have but you can see with the purple rectangled areas I show you can set options related to your needs.
[One hr before Work] 100% (max) & Start HVAC
[Right before leaving for work ] 90% (standard)

Aside: My 'Vacation' one is when I leave the car at home for an extended time (days).

NQ7YK1J.jpg

Well, it seemed like a good idea, but it doesn't work at all. The app keeps logging me out (I have power optimization turned off, as required, but it shuts down anyway), so it doesn't start the smart charging rule.

I kicked it off manually, and the rules end up conflicting, so I can't have my evening rule on at the same time as my morning rule.

Oh well, it was worth a try...

Well, it seemed like a good idea, but it doesn't work at all.
I kicked it off manually, and the rules end up conflicting, so I can't have my evening rule on at the same time as my morning rule.

I can not respond to why the app is "logging [you] out". However, if you get past that then you should still be able to utilize your rules ('recipes' in IFTTT terminology). Perhaps start 'b)' at 8:30 to make sure there is not a time overlap. @SG57 can clarify what happens when rules overlapp.
a) [One hr before Work] 100% (max) & Start HVAC
b) [Right before leaving for work ] 90% (standard)

Previous manual effort for reference.
On cold mornings, about an hour before I leave for work, I turn on the cabin heater and set the charge limit to 100%. This typically gets me up to 93-94%. Then, when I leave, I set the charging limit back to 90%.

@SG57, I think I figured out the service error things. It seems to happen when the car is sleeping. I usually quit Dashboard for Tesla after setting up Smart Charging, so the car will sleep after 1-2 hours. Since then Smart Charging notification shows up and display errors. Once I kick Dashboard app, error disappears and charging starts.

Maybe the app needs to wait one or two minutes?

@hiroshiy , okay that's helpful. I'll specifically look at the smart charging case for when the vehicle is asleep.

-

And I apologise for the delay on this big update and getting around to responses, I improved Summon and HomeLink with more status information, better error handling, more details, and a better UI - got carried away.

Last edited:
Well, it seemed like a good idea, but it doesn't work at all. The app keeps logging me out (I have power optimization turned off, as required, but it shuts down anyway), so it doesn't start the smart charging rule.

Oh well, it was worth a try...
The app kicking you out or smart charging failing may be because of the issue @hiroshiy also has with a service error.

Otherwise, yes right now smart charging only allows one location enabled per day. The reason for this is smart charging doesn't know when a location starts and when it ends so it just assumes days as the divider. I could change this to be less than 24 hours but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Since you're asking for specific commands at specific times, I think you should try out automatic behaviors instead. Setup 1 for your morning routine and 1 for your after-work routine. These can overlap and can be configured for specific days and set times to set your charge limit, start the HVAC, start charging, etc.

@Kacey Green , I'm unable to reproduce the crash you've experienced when the app goes into the background. I suspect this may be device specific, by any chance is your device a Samsung Galaxy? Is the crash still happening for you reliably every time you minimize the app or switch apps? When you try to submit a crash report, even if the app crashes again (?), can you re-enter the email app it opens to send off the crash report? Sorry for the inconvenience, just need some more information here.

@hiroshiy , can you still reliably cause the smart charging service errors to occur? If you are running Android Marshmallow or newer do you have Battery Optimizations disabled? Do you have the "always connected" setting enabled in the vehicle itself? Do the service errors occur when your vehicle sleeps at an enabled smart charging location, or not, or doesn't matter?

If you could, enable Smart Charging Logging from the Settings screen at the bottom under Advanced section. This will save a log file on the root of your storage every time smart charging service runs with more details as to what happened. You should then try to reproduce the service error so its results are logged to the file, then share the contents of the log file with me either right here, thru PM, or send it to my support email. Note, all sensitive information from this log file is automatically redacted, so you're safe to share the log file contents.

I'm still trying to reproduce this error on my end, worst case I can have you join a closed beta version of the app that has additional tricks for troubleshooting and debugging this issue. Trust, we'll find it and fix it!

@Kacey Green , I'm unable to reproduce the crash you've experienced when the app goes into the background. I suspect this may be device specific, by any chance is your device a Samsung Galaxy? Is the crash still happening for you reliably every time you minimize the app or switch apps? When you try to submit a crash report, even if the app crashes again (?), can you re-enter the email app it opens to send off the crash report? Sorry for the inconvenience, just need some more information here.

@hiroshiy , can you still reliably cause the smart charging service errors to occur? If you are running Android Marshmallow or newer do you have Battery Optimizations disabled? Do you have the "always connected" setting enabled in the vehicle itself? Do the service errors occur when your vehicle sleeps at an enabled smart charging location, or not, or doesn't matter?

If you could, enable Smart Charging Logging from the Settings screen at the bottom under Advanced section. This will save a log file on the root of your storage every time smart charging service runs with more details as to what happened. You should then try to reproduce the service error so its results are logged to the file, then share the contents of the log file with me either right here, thru PM, or send it to my support email. Note, all sensitive information from this log file is automatically redacted, so you're safe to share the log file contents.

I'm still trying to reproduce this error on my end, worst case I can have you join a closed beta version of the app that has additional tricks for troubleshooting and debugging this issue. Trust, we'll find it and fix it!
>>can you still reliably cause the smart charging service errors to occur?
I tbink so. Will repro next Monday with logging turned on.

>>If you are running Android Marshmallow or newer do you have Battery Optimizations disabled?
Disabled

>>Do you have the "always connected" setting enabled in the vehicle itself?
No, because if I use TeslaFi with aleays connected on, the vehicle won't sleep. So always connected is turned off.

>>Do the service errors occur when your vehicle sleeps at an enabled smart charging location, or not, or doesn't matter?
I only enable smart charging at smart charging location only, to let the car sleep. So sorry I dondo know.