Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding to Delay Delivery until Battery Day

If you're due to receive your MY between now and Sep 21 - are you thinking of pushing to after 9/22?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You keep promoting this impulsive view.

There is a big difference between waiting for battery day and waiting for the next thing.

And when buying something like a new car, when in doubt, waiting is generally the best option

Except it's not an impulsive view, it's simply the true reality. The nature of how Tesla car development is, there will ALWAYS be something very near term that is about to be announced and to wait for one thing will almost certainly lead to waiting for the next thing. I know at least 5 friends who have rationalized waiting for the next thing starting up to 4 years ago and they have still not purchased because they keep pivoting their waiting for something else. It's a cycle of waiting for announcement, announcement is underwhelming for X but hints at Y or X is great and comes in n months, then by the time n months comes around they are waiting for something like Y that was hinted at.

Saying it's impulsive to not wait for things like Battery Day in the reality of Tesla constantly pushing updates via software and changing various hardware components is silly.

Yes dont wait one more month for 2021 model.
Dont wait for one peace casting.
Dont wait for range increase.
Dont wait to see what price decrease of LR RWD will be.
Dont wait for other (even small) improvements that will be probably introduced.

Waiting 19 days to order is a lot of time.
If you need a car for this 19 days dont rent a car from priceline for $250 (3 weeks everything included). Thats a lot of money!
Buy it now.

This will be my first battery day. Do they announce specific improvements with release dates on each model? I ordered on 8/26 and suspect my delivery date won’t be until after 9/22, so I guess it won’t be an issue for me. I can afford to wait until December or even later if need be to wait out something important.

My estimated delivery date is actually on 9/22. I plan on taking delivery barring issues with my MY during delivery. My MY is meant to hold me over until my Cybertruck preorder becomes available, so an increase in lifetime miles really doesn't matter to me. Highly unlikely that there is some type of noticeable range increase, and the LR AWD epa range is virtually the same as the LR AWD M3 I just sold, so range for me is immaterial.

We are coming from the same place, SCarolinaM3Guy. Test driving MY tomorrow and plan to place order if all goes well. And by that I mean if my wife feels it is enough space and sits high enough for her to take it as her vehicle (in place of 2020 Mazda CX-9) once my Cybertruck arrives in a couple years. Yeah. I’m that late in the reservation line lol.

haven't read the whole thread, but you'll get varying opinions on this. If you don't need the car, and this is causing anxiety, delay so you'll not be worried. Personally I'm proceeding with my order and will pick up in a few days. The cars get better over time. This is the Tesla way... But I see the likelihood of battery day affecting current builds dramatically as very very low. And I'm ok not waiting for every incremental update. Can't blame someone for waiting 2 weeks, 2 months, or 1 year to get a better Model Y. It's just not me...

Don't understand why, from a owners perspective, getting a Y with standard construction, 2 piece sub frame or 1 piece cast piece will effect your ownership experience.

Same with the announcement of future battery improvements, taking battery production in house, million mile batteries, smaller electrodes, different chemistry, Maxwell technology etc. Car driving experience will remain relatively the same.

Of course, everybody wants the latest and greatest, but no matter when you buy a Tesla, something better is most always just around the corner.

On another tack, no reason not to delay your delivery just a few weeks if it makes you feel more comfortable, and you are willing to get into the back of the line again.

Except it's not an impulsive view, it's simply the true reality. The nature of how Tesla car development is, there will ALWAYS be something very near term that is about to be announced and to wait for one thing will almost certainly lead to waiting for the next thing. I know at least 5 friends who have rationalized waiting for the next thing starting up to 4 years ago and they have still not purchased because they keep pivoting their waiting for something else. It's a cycle of waiting for announcement, announcement is underwhelming for X but hints at Y or X is great and comes in n months, then by the time n months comes around they are waiting for something like Y that was hinted at.

Saying it's impulsive to not wait for things like Battery Day in the reality of Tesla constantly pushing updates via software and changing various hardware components is silly.
I get you have FOMO, thinking you need to have a Tesla ASAP vs in a few additional weeks. Impulsive, but I get we’re all irrational consumers at times.

If you don’t understand the difference between waiting for a specific information release in two weeks, and simply waiting due to the utility some gain from having the latest and greatest, we’re wasting each other’s time. Not waiting two weeks for information on a $60k depreciating asset is silly, and the epitome of FOMO.

Further, regardless of Battery Day, if it’s even a question as to buy now, waiting is the prudent choice in nascent tech. Production costs go down and quality up- waiting is not exclusively about having the latest, it’s also about not paying latest and greatest prices for what really isn’t the latest and greatest. Ignoring Tesla‘s ever increasing cheapness in trim on the M3, delaying purchase of a M3 from 2017 to 2020 was prudent. Better car, for less.

That’s not even factoring in opportunity cost benefits of waiting. Delay the purchase of the new tech as long as you can, which presumably you can if it’s a question, in the meantime invest those payments (in your favorite EV stock). Think of how well that paid off in that M3 example! Your friends can now get a better car for less, and have millions more for retirement.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White