Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoops! I accidentally left max range on (used it to pre-warm up battery for 30 minutes from 80% yesterday). So it's probably been sitting at full charge for about 7-8 hours.

Showing 255 miles. 31,300 miles. This is my first max range on v5.8

Interesting. I am getting 255 miles on a range charge with 5.6, 11,000 miles, and 14 months on my Model S.

To avoid the 100% event that you just had, here is the trick that I use. Just as you did, set the charge limit on the slider to 80%. When you are ready to pre-warm, use the App to start "max range" charging. Next, reset the charging back to "standard." This sets the charging limit to 90%, and you will not go to 100% by accident.

Just to add to the data points:

I just passed 14,000 miles over 11 months with my P85:

90% charges on 5.8 show 221 miles
I did a 100% charge, and didn't have time to let it balance the pack, I unplugged when it was calculating the remaining time at 100%, and I was at 252 miles.

It stayed at 252 miles for the first 6 miles of my trip home, which were at just under 300 w/mile.

After my 22.9 mile trip home, my car is now showing 235 miles of rated range, 94.6% charged, 71.6 kWh remaining. Numbers seem a little odd, 22.9/.054 = more than 425 miles in theory.

On an unrelated note, even with limited regen for the first 1/2 of the trip home (line disappeared, but regen was limited to about 30kW even after more than 10 miles of driving, my brake lights were not even coming on under full deceleration), I averaged 265 w/mile, which is a record for me. Not bad for a P85 on 21's...

Over 17000 miles in approximately 8 months.

About 1 week ago had main battery pack failure. The day before the failure I had done a range charge on 5.8 that showed about 248 rated miles. I then had the failure and the main battery pack was replaced. The new battery pack then showed max range charge to 267 on the following day. I haven't read many of the threads but I doubt Tesla messed to much with the top range of the pack. I had definitely noticed a gradual drop in max range capacity over the course of the 17000 miles driven.

By the way, 267 rated miles was the most I got on a range charge on the original battery pack when it was new. I'll post screen captures when I get the chance particularly if people are interested

Last edited:
Here is a chart that some may be interested in. It shows a charge from 18% SOC to 100% followed by a discharge of 54.0 kWh to 7% SOC (0 miles rated range), and then charge back to 20% SOC.

There is a good 9 to 10 miles difference in the rated range at 18% SOC between the first charge and discharge curve. Without being able to measure pack temperature directly, I cannot know this for certain, but I still think pack temperature is the primary factor.

SOC-cruve.PNG

Oh, I should add that this is a 60 kWh battery at 6 months and 6000 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

The day before the failure I had done a range charge on 5.8 that showed about 248 rated miles. I then had the failure and the main battery pack was replaced. The new battery pack then showed max range charge to 267 on the following day.

Well, that's a good data point, because we can control better for temperature. Do you remember what the dates were so I can lookup the temperatures?

I did two max range charges at Woodbury supercharger after my 5.8 upload. Both times I didn't get over 248 miles.

As soon as I started driving, lost 5 miles of charge in less than 2 miles - standard (no high speed) starting and on freeway soon.

Drove 32 miles and lost 45 miles of charge.

I have 10,035 miles in 9 months. I used to get 280miles at max range charge just couple,of months ago.

I did two max range charges at Woodbury supercharger after my 5.8 upload. Both times I didn't get over 248 miles.

As soon as I started driving, lost 5 miles of charge in less than 2 miles - standard (no high speed) starting and on freeway soon.

I have 10,035 miles in 9 months. I used to get 280miles at max range charge just couple,of months ago.

You must have ideal range selected and not rated?? As 280 was never possible under rated. And is the 248 rated now or did you leave it on ideal?

- - - Updated - - -

You must have ideal range selected and not rated?? As 280 was never possible under rated. And is the 248 rated now or did you leave it on ideal?

When my car was new, I was at 275 rated. I have heard of others that saw 275-280 rated, when new. Ideal when new should be a good bit over 300.

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Did a Range Charge yesterday... the first ever on my car which has just under 17,000 miles. I got 246 Rated Miles.

Last July, I was doing a Range Charge, but had to abort and be on my way. When I unplugged, I was at 260 Rated Miles.

Quite a drop for me. I used to get 241 miles on a Standard Charge not so long ago.

I called Tesla service as I had been getting 244 Rated on a max charge and since 5.8 I am now getting 233.( and this is with battery saving mode). I called as I went on a 55 mile trip on Thanksgiving, stopped a few times on my way home at friend's houses along the way, and when I got home I had 32 miles remaining. I calculated that I only traveled about 120 actual miles that day. I seemed to have lost about 62 miles in the trip due to speed of 74mph travel, low outside temperature, heater on, and battery pack warming. These numbers were not this drastic before 5.8.

I have 26k miles on my car, (60) thus I watch my milage and charging patterns.

The Tesla service agent mentioned that the matrices was different in 5.8 and was a more accurate calculation and the reduced Rated mileage after full charge was due to these new driving calculations. To be honest I have been driving more in the 74mph range lately, so I am deciding to bring down my regular driving speed to see if there is a dramatic change in the calculations thus milage usage.

I will report findings as I was also use to the 244 full charge and use on this exact same trip, but would have about 70 miles left whe I returned home. 70 down to 32 is a concern to me.

I think I did my first max range charge after a little less than 1900 miles. Ideal miles showed 308 miles and it was still charging. IIRC the rated range was about 272 miles, but could have been higher.

My last showed 296 miles after about 7500 miles. I don't know how relevant it is, but the weather is a lot colder now. I'll do another range charge tomorrow before heading to Ellensburg. I'll also do a max charge in Ellensburg before heading to Centralia.
I haven't gotten a clear answer from anyone yet. Would it hurt or help to let it set an hour or two at max range before starting out?

I've always started out within 10 or 15 minute whenever max charging in the past. If you're trying to do a pack balance at full charge, how long does it take?

Over 17000 miles in approximately 8 months.

About 1 week ago had main battery pack failure. The day before the failure I had done a range charge on 5.8 that showed about 248 rated miles. I then had the failure and the main battery pack was replaced. The new battery pack then showed max range charge to 267 on the following day. I haven't read many of the threads but I doubt Tesla messed to much with the top range of the pack. I had definitely noticed a gradual drop in max range capacity over the course of the 17000 miles driven.

By the way, 267 rated miles was the most I got on a range charge on the original battery pack when it was new. I'll post screen captures when I get the chance particularly if people are interested

So you went from 248 to 267 with the new pack. Ambient temps were basically unchanged. The only explanation is there was a new battery pack. Other than degradation, what explanation would there be for the drop (I'm aware there was a pack failure, but there are a lot of other folks who have seen numbers in this vicinity who had not had their packs replaced).