Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sig P85 here. 19kmiles.

Range charge is down to 242 rated range, normal daily charge is down to 209 rated range. On an HPWC, full 80 amps, charge at 11PM. (Edit: oh, and garaged too)

A bit disappointing, but after a year, I still love this car!

Last edited:
P85 with nearly 15k miles. Last range charge at about 14k miles on 5.8.4 ended up at 242. Standard charge at 222. with only 2 other range charges ever, and mostly a garage in the 50-80 degree F range charging using the 14-50. On the other hand, this pack was also roasted for 4 days in Vegas when it was 110+ outdoors and who knows what temperature inside the garage. Otherwise it's a mildly babied pack that usually lives in the 40-70% SOC range on most days.

Asked the service center to check it out; logs were pulled and the answer I got was that it's just a change in algorithm rather than accelerated battery degradation. The Calculated Amphor Capacity is apparently the same. Guess we'll see what happens long term! Just wish we knew what these algorithm changes were exactly.

Out of curiosity, which battery (A or B) do you have?

Not to get too pissy about this, but without a bunch of specifics from the Service Center about what they are talking about I'm calling BS on a "change in algorithm" as a general excuse for why we are seeing full range charges in the 240s. If you walk them over to any new loaner car with only a few miles on it, and the same exact software version, they all show in the 265-270 range.

Peter

PS. If they want to talk specifically why a range charge now charges 2-3 miles off of where it did the day before an update, that's something different.

PPS. I'm in the high 240s, also... I'm curious if anyone with a "B" battery is in the 240s...

Asked the service center to check it out; logs were pulled and the answer I got was that it's just a change in algorithm rather than accelerated battery degradation. The Calculated Amphor Capacity is apparently the same. Guess we'll see what happens long term! Just wish we knew what these algorithm changes were exactly.

Last edited:
Ouch!

I'm aware of one other person in that same boat.

I'm pretty close to this too (am I the one other person?). I've really been wondering if the HPWC is a factor, but don't have enough data. Also, I'm in the process of replacing the HPWC because it gets hot to the point where I can't touch it, and I'd like to figure out if this could have any adverse impact on the battery. Not sure whom to ask. Mine started degrading rapidly around the same time I got the HPWC and the HPWC has been this hot since I got it (but I didn't know it wasn't normal -- never dealt with ultra-high voltages before)

I'm pretty close to this too (am I the one other person?). I've really been wondering if the HPWC is a factor, but don't have enough data. Also, I'm in the process of replacing the HPWC because it gets hot to the point where I can't touch it, and I'd like to figure out if this could have any adverse impact on the battery. Not sure whom to ask. Mine started degrading rapidly around the same time I got the HPWC and the HPWC has been this hot since I got it (but I didn't know it wasn't normal -- never dealt with ultra-high voltages before)

Nope -- someone else who's chosen not to post it here. Not sure of his charging arrangement but I've been using HPWC for the last 7 months (of my 14 months of ownership) and I'm 219 @ 90%.

Is your daily charge at ~90%? Just trying to see if you would benefit from multiple 100% charges to rebalance your pack.

I think this may be true for all of the first 'A' packs. I haven't range charged in quite a while and have been charging to 50% or 60% recently and before I was going to 80 or 90%. kind of trying to see if keeping in the middle does unbalance it or show less rated quicker but I will need to range charge on Friday and then the next weekend too. Maybe service can check the #'s for me when I am getting a new windshield

Nope -- someone else who's chosen not to post it here. Not sure of his charging arrangement but I've been using HPWC for the last 7 months (of my 14 months of ownership) and I'm 219 @ 90%.

have you done many recent 'full' charges?

Last edited:

I have under 10k miles. My last range charge ~3 weeks ago yielded 244 rated miles. When new, I routinely got 265. I use 14-50 at home, never used a HPWC. Have used SC's about 25 times.

Strange thing happened the other day. My range has been fluctuating from 225-229 and the other day out of no where it went back to 232. Now it is at 227. The past week temperature has been in the 60's and this week in the 80's. Maybe that helps?

PS this is at 16,800 miles 6 month ownership.

Last edited:
I have under 10k miles. My last range charge ~3 weeks ago yielded 244 rated miles. When new, I routinely got 265. I use 14-50 at home, never used a HPWC. Have used SC's about 25 times.

Just to confirm, you're checking the rated miles at the instant the charge is complete? I actually monitor it automatically using the API so I can be sure I use data from within 60 seconds of completion.

Not to get too pissy about this, but without a bunch of specifics from the Service Center about what they are talking about I'm calling BS on a "change in algorithm" as a general excuse for why we are seeing full range charges in the 240s. If you walk them over to any new loaner car with only a few miles on it, and the same exact software version, they all show in the 265-270 range.

PPS. I'm in the high 240s, also... I'm curious if anyone with a "B" battery is in the 240s...

Exactly. I'm skeptical of the whole range algorithm change given that new cars still go to > 265. I'm also curious as to a comparison of degradation for A/B packs.

I don't think I'll get over 250 max..my 90% is 211 rated. maybe unbalanced, can't really say though
find out next weekend

FWIW, I go to 212 at 90 and 244 at 100 so I'm guessing your numbers would be similar.

1 hour can be a big difference when you're doing a range charge. Next time you do it, try to catch it when it completes. I'd like to get as many data as possible and we need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.
Will do. My next range charge will be in 2 weeks. As a reference point however, a year ago an hour or so after charge completed I was seeing ~265 rated miles.