Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS is 16 months old, and has 13,000 miles. Did a range charge yesterday and got 253 miles on my 80A HPWC in Pagosa, then drove 310 miles with a 70A J1772 add on in Salida, arriving at the Silverthorne Supercharger with 35 miles, then arrived Boulder with 90 miles or so. For grins tried the slow charge and a second range charge today, knowing that I was going to drive 30 miles or so today to pull the 100% down. Charged overnight to 90% at 15A on my HPWC in Boulder. Then charged at 15A for a while and realized I needed to speed up the process to have some balance time, turned the current up to 24A, and ended with 30 minutes of 1 min to go. Ended at 256. At least this time, range charge, deeper discharge, slow charge, second range charge got me 3 more miles.

I usually charge to 80% unless I need it, range charge when I need it, but hit the road within hours. The car is garaged at 50˚ in winter, usually 75˚-85˚ most of summer in garage. I wish I still could see those 265 range charges like it was new, but 256 is not bad at this point. BTW, it should be obvious that I have an "A" battery.

Not sure if we have an "A" or a "B" pack. I checked the front passenger wheel well area for a battery sticker and couldn't find one. Found stickers for some of the suspension parts though. Not sure if it makes any difference that our pack was swapped out some time in April or May after a contactor failure left us stranded. Any other place this battery sticker could be???

Out of curiosity, which battery (A or B) do you have?

Not to get too pissy about this, but without a bunch of specifics from the Service Center about what they are talking about I'm calling BS on a "change in algorithm" as a general excuse for why we are seeing full range charges in the 240s. If you walk them over to any new loaner car with only a few miles on it, and the same exact software version, they all show in the 265-270 range.

Peter

PS. If they want to talk specifically why a range charge now charges 2-3 miles off of where it did the day before an update, that's something different.

PPS. I'm in the high 240s, also... I'm curious if anyone with a "B" battery is in the 240s...

Not sure if we have an "A" or a "B" pack. I checked the front passenger wheel well area for a battery sticker and couldn't find one. Found stickers for some of the suspension parts though. Not sure if it makes any difference that our pack was swapped out some time in April or May after a contactor failure left us stranded. Any other place this battery sticker could be???

It's not in the wheel well but, straight behind the wheel as you look at the wheel. Stick your camera (phone) with a flash right around the back of the tire and you should see the sticker facing you.

Excellent, we're within half a km and as I had to leave before the pack was fully balanced that might be about right. You are on 5.8.4 as well?

EU car delivered begin 09/2013, odo now at 22.500km, initial full charges were 500km now dropped to 486km (similar temperature).
Because I drive long distance, I don't mess with partial charge and charge 100% almost every time. I just make sure the car is now left too long with 100% charge to long to reduce duration of high SOC.
Running v5.8.4 (didn't see any major difference right after an update though difference could very well be due to the way range is calculated in each version).
I don't plan to change my charging method (full 100% charge, almost always) since this is the only way to limit range anxiety.
I have a B battery pack.
Interested to compare these numbers with yours.

VIN just above 10k (April/May 2013 build). B battery. 8096 miles. 5.6 fw. Normally charge at 80A to 70%. Just range charged for the first time in awhile. 252.9 rated miles. Last time I think I got 255.

I wanted to summarize a few things I've been seeing in the posts:

To see if you have lost range, do a few 100% --> 0% --> 100% charges. Does your range increase each time? If so, great, range returned through balancing. This may help you if you have been limiting your charge to 50%-80% for some time. And, if you do the repeated 100% --> 0% --> 100% charges and don't see an increase, then you know that you have lost some range.

With regards to hidden range, it exists to a certain extent, but because new cars and some older cars are seeing 265 miles on a full charge, if your full range charge is less than 265 and it's not returning when you do 100->0->100, than you don't have anything hidden from you.

Thoughts?

Edit - yes, doing 100-->0-->100 a few times may be harmful to your battery...

Edit 2 - There also may be some differences in how hte 'A' and 'B' battery packs are holding up. If you can include all this information in your posts, that will help with the meta info:

* mileage
* usual charge %/rate
* 90% rate
* 100% rate
* did you do the 100->0->100 check?
* A pack or B pack

Last edited:
I wanted to summarize a few things I've been seeing in the posts:

To see if you have lost range, do a few 100% --> 0% --> 100% charges. Does your range increase each time? If so, great, range returned through balancing. This may help you if you have been limiting your charge to 50%-80% for some time. And, if you do the repeated 100% --> 0% --> 100% charges and don't see an increase, then you know that you have lost some range.

With regards to hidden range, it exists to a certain extent, but because new cars and some older cars are seeing 265 miles on a full charge, if your full range charge is less than 265 and it's not returning when you do 100->0->100, than you don't have anything hidden from you.

Thoughts?

Seems logical to me, especially if you don't need or care to know the actual number. Just do the cycle once. If it improves, great. Then you know there's probably more there, but you don't have to necessarily do it to the point that you may be actually harming your battery just to get the exact number.