Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this may be true for all of the first 'A' packs. I haven't range charged in quite a while and have been charging to 50% or 60% recently and before I was going to 80 or 90%. kind of trying to see if keeping in the middle does unbalance it or show less rated quicker but I will need to range charge on Friday and then the next weekend too. Maybe service can check the #'s for me when I am getting a new windshield

I'm getting 218 @ 90% and got 244 @ 100% just last week. I didn't get a chance to do it twice to see what the deal was. I usually keep my charge level at 70%. Not sure if I have an A pack or B pack, but I'm seeing similar #'s to you and i'm @ 13.5k miles.

So no EU reports? Even if it's a car you just got it would help to set a baseline. Am on 5.8.4 myself and as mentioned 492.5km rated range, 394 typical.

I get 395 km (245 Miles) typical range after 7000 km. In the Dutch section of the TMC forum I read that this is what nearly everyone gets.
Btw, I get 345 for a daily charge. Latest version of the software..

It should be pointed out that "Rated Range" displayed on the console is not always equal to "Rated Range" per the EPA. This is to accommodate the ~15mi cushion you still have after you've driven the display down to "0mi".

In practice, I've found that each "Rated Range" tick corresponds to about 300 Wh; if I can achieve this (by driving ~50mph on a level highway) then the Rated Range decreases in lockstep with my actual miles driven. But for an 85kWh battery, 300Wh/mi corresponds to 283 miles, not 265! The extra 18 miles is the cushion you would get if you actually used only 300Wh/mi, more efficient than the EPA cycle.

The upshot is that the "Rated Range" display may be accurate at the high end, but by the time it drops to 0mi, it's very (intentionally) inaccurate. My guess is that as battery capacity degrades over time, the upper end of the scale after a range charge (e.g. 245mi) will stay accurate regarding total energy. I'll just have to keep taking long roadtrips in my S to see if this bears out :-D

Last edited:
I finally broke down and upgraded to 5.8.4, though I see no difference in 90% charge between that and 5.6. I did a range charge earlier, am seeing 225-226 90% and 258.3 (per visibletesla) on max charge tonight. 18.5k miles, do not know if I have a or b, Vin is 068xx.

Just a update, drove to the Detroit auto show Friday night, attended show Saturday and drov back to Milwaukee Saturday night. I have 20,500 miles on my car now. I range charged 6 times in a 24 hr period, each time I was at 207, 208 or 209 rated miles on my MS60!!!!!!! How's that for battery wear!!! 5.8.4

Just a update, drove to the Detroit auto show Friday night, attended show Saturday and drov back to Milwaukee Saturday night. I have 20,500 miles on my car now. I range charged 6 times in a 24 hr period, each time I was at 207, 208 or 209 rated miles on my MS60!!!!!!! How's that for battery wear!!! 5.8.4

And you leave your MS60 outside all the time! In subzero weather! And you run your battery down to 2 miles before you use the SC.

And you leave your MS60 outside all the time! In subzero weather! And you run your battery down to 2 miles before you use the SC.
And range charge on a regular basis (Now over 80 times in 7 months 3 weeks 3 days 0 Hours and 9 Minutes), and see "CHARGE NOW" at least once every other week, excessive use of Full acceleration, constant odd experimentation on the vehicle ;)

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to go from 90% charge to 100% full range charge? I did a range charge this morning and after 2 hours I was at 193 rated (from 170 at 90%) and it was doing the 1 minute remaing thing for at least a half hour. I wanted to wait til it got to "charge complete", but I had to leave. I have 19,500 mi on my 60. I don't range charge or run down the battery as often as you, so I suppose mine could take longer to do "balancing", but I was just looking for some sort of a baseline time.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to go from 90% charge to 100% full range charge? I did a range charge this morning and after 2 hours I was at 193 rated (from 170 at 90%) and it was doing the 1 minute remaing thing for at least a half hour. I wanted to wait til it got to "charge complete", but I had to leave. I have 19,500 mi on my 60. I don't range charge or run down the battery as often as you, so I suppose mine could take longer to do "balancing", but I was just looking for some sort of a baseline time.

When it says 1 minute remaining like that, it is balancing the battery pack. It could take few minutes at that point, or it could take a hour. If you don't need the vehicle, its best to let it finish before driving, though, if you need to drive now, just go ahead, it will not hurt anything.

Now, if i'm charged to 90% like I do on a daily basis (usually just hit range charge right before I need it), and then hit range charge, during the summer, it would take about 1 hour on my 14-50. I'd do it at 6am, and it would finish just before my TOS rates were over at 7am. during the winter, it takes about 1.5 hours to range charge, MUCH longer if the pack is cold soaked, as it will need to heat the pack above 32*F before it can charge it.

The last 1 minute appears to be when the system is balancing the pack. It can last for an hour. This is nice if you have the time, but otherwise don't worry about it.

When it says 1 minute remaining like that, it is balancing the battery pack. It could take few minutes at that point, or it could take a hour. If you don't need the vehicle, its best to let it finish before driving, though, if you need to drive now, just go ahead, it will not hurt anything.

Now, if i'm charged to 90% like I do on a daily basis (usually just hit range charge right before I need it), and then hit range charge, during the summer, it would take about 1 hour on my 14-50. I'd do it at 6am, and it would finish just before my TOS rates were over at 7am. during the winter, it takes about 1.5 hours to range charge, MUCH longer if the pack is cold soaked, as it will need to heat the pack above 32*F before it can charge it.

Thanks for the info! I figured it was balancing, but at over 2 hrs I wasn't sure how long it would go. I'll have to give it more time the next go round so I can let it complete.

Islandbayy's record of battery "aging" is indeed very good, especially considering all of the pointed factors of it's use. Just to clarify, however, low temperatures have detrimental effect on amount of energy that can be extracted from the battery, but it helps to preserve battery longevity.

I have a 1 year old P85 with a B battery pack and 23K miles on the car (got 125kW charging on Flagstaff, AZ supercharger). 100% range charge yields 257 miles and 90% charge yields 225 miles. I range charge about 2-3 times per month since I need to cover over 200 miles with a 4000ft elevation change. This all seems in line with similar age cars with the B battery pack.