Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah that doesn’t mean a car from start to finish gets built that fast. It’s an assembly line. They may just have 152 cars being completed at a time in an assembly line but from start to finish, it should take much longer.

My guess is still 2 weeks to build a car from start to finish. Paint takes time to cure.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NJturtlePower
More like 2 years. Almost got backed into today because I couldn’t hit the small horn button in time. Utterly ridiculous.
That horn button is the worst idea. When you’re looking to hit the horn, it’s usually for an emergency. Locating it to a small button is ridiculous. Even if it’s used infrequently.

I hope they do a retrofit later like the yoke/wheel

2 weeks seems a lot. I recently saw a video they did at the Gigafactory Shanghai and they said the Model Y takes about ~24-36 hours from start to finish. Can’t imagine the X taking 2 weeks even if it’s more complicated with the FWD. I don’t know about paint time though.

That horn button is the worst idea.
When you’re looking to hit the horn, it’s usually for an emergency.
Locating it to a small button is ridiculous. Even if it’s used infrequently.

I hope they do a retrofit later like the yoke/wheel

I am surprised that it seems that there are no focus group meetings,
or at least some employees getting the very first pre-production build,
to provide feedback regarding new features before going to production.

This is particularly noticeable for the GUI of the display screen,
where some features get deleted or replaced by less practical solution,
and only after numerous complaints get reinstalled.

Maybe engineers get rewarded when proposing to remove a part or a feature?

One example is the handle located under the ceiling next to each door
helping to exit from a car. But none of the Tesla models have such handle,
and the Boring company for the Las Vegas loop, improvised a solution for it, see below:

Model X with Handles .jpg

Last edited:
2 weeks seems a lot. I recently saw a video they did at the Gigafactory Shanghai and they said the Model Y takes about ~24-36 hours from start to finish. Can’t imagine the X taking 2 weeks even if it’s more complicated with the FWD. I don’t know about paint time though.

I am VERY surprised that Model Y takes 24-36 hours to build. Doesn't paint take like 1-2 days to dry/cure?

I am surprised that it seems that there are no focus group meetings,
or at least some employees getting the very first pre-production build,
to provide feedback regarding new features before going to production.

This is particularly noticeable for the GUI of the display screen,
where some features get deleted or replaced by less practical solution,
and only after numerous complaints get reinstalled.

Maybe engineers get rewarded when proposing to remove a part or a feature?

One example is the handle located under the ceiling next to each door
helping to exit from a car. But none of the Tesla models have such handle,
and the Boring company for the Las Vegas loop, improvised a solution for it, see below:

View attachment 980311
I always thought those handles were oh-sh*t! bars for the riding passengers! Lol

I mostly used them as dry clean hangers

I was still able to take delivery today. Computer replacement was a small job and took only 30 mins lol compared to the 2-3 weeks I was told earlier haha. The computer was under the passenger floor board where the feet rests so nothing needed to be dismantled thankfully, only floor board needed to be pulled slightly. The car was flawless to say the least aside from the horn issue.

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5528.jpeg
    IMG_5528.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I was still able to take delivery today. Computer replacement was a small job and took only 30 mins lol compared to the 2-3 weeks I was told earlier haha. The computer was under the passenger floor board where the feet rests so nothing needed to be dismantled thankfully, only floor boarded needed to be pulled slightly. The car was flawless to say the least aside from the horn issue.
@SunnySideUp
Congrats on that. You must have been so relieved with the outcome.

Did you ALSO get FSD transfer on your new X?

Reactions: SunnySideUp