Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Don’t get too hung up with the Model year or little upgrade if you are ordering a Tesla. First, it will drive you crazy. Second, you can actually come up short if you wait. Tesla is very well known for adding little upgrade at anytime. But, sometimes, they also downgraded/subtracted features and hardware. So, instead of getting 2024 build with more features, you may actually get one with less features. Active spoiler, USS, key fobs, charging cable are some of the things that they already took out from X. There might be more that I couldn’t remember. Heck, they don’t even give floor mats anymore for 3 and Y. And the same person who keep saying they want to wait maybe the same one who complains later. The point is, pick up your X when you get it and enjoy it.
Oh, don't forget about the front passenger lumbar support adjustment deletion (on the 3 and Y), and Lidar deletion.

I mean we've been ingrained with this simple fact since 1st grade:

1 < 2 < 3 < 4 ..... ;)

I'm not going to lie that if given the choice by Tesla right now for my MXP, 9 out of 10 times I would choose a 2024 over 2023 😜

But I'm not losing sleep over my 2023 MXP. At least it's an October build and not a September build because we all know 10 > 9 😬 j/k

Last edited:
It's the first Tesla for me, but not for my family (my dad owns a Model Y.) I've driven the Model Y quite a few times when I visited. It's NOT my first EV, as I've owned a Mach E GT that my wife totaled last year.
Ford is the “other” car manufacturer. They tend to segregate new features with model year. Again, Tesla is different. This whole ‘23 and ‘24 thing is in your brain only. A few years from now, it might not even matter to you.

Having said that, a new Tesla now is almost always better in terms of build quality compared to another one built a year ago. But if it’s just a matter of a week or a month, I don’t think there is much difference if there is any at all

Reactions: gsxdsm
Ford is the “other” car manufacturer. They tend to segregate new features with model year. Again, Tesla is different. This whole ‘23 and ‘24 thing is in your brain only. A few years from now, it might not even matter to you.

Having said that, a new Tesla now is almost always better in terms of build quality compared to another one built a year ago. But if it’s just a matter of a week or a month, I don’t think there is much difference if there is any at all

That's really good to hear. I ordered on 9/6. Ultra Red LR poverty edition. Hopefully I'll get a VIN soon.
EDD1: Oct-Nov
EDD2: Oct 10- Nov 21
EDD3: Oct 10- Nov 14

That's really good to hear. I ordered on 9/6. Ultra Red LR poverty edition. Hopefully I'll get a VIN soon.
EDD1: Oct-Nov
EDD2: Oct 10- Nov 21
EDD3: Oct 10- Nov 14
@mathnerd88
I did not realize that Tesla kept revising EDDs prior to giving out a VIN. Also I'm surprised that the delivery range is date specific, prior to getting a VIN.

My OD was September 30 and my ONLY EDD is Nov-Dec 2023 and no VIN as yet.

@mathnerd88
I did not realize that Tesla kept revising EDDs prior to giving out a VIN. Also I'm surprised that the delivery range is date specific, prior to getting a VIN.

My OD was September 30 and my ONLY EDD is Nov-Dec 2023 and no VIN as yet.

At least with me, Tesla gave me actual dates about 1-2 weeks after I ordered, and then revise them multiple times as the dates get closer prior to receiving the VIN. It's happened to others on here.

Reactions: Saxman
It's because its almost 2024. I'd prefer to have the current model year for 14 months vs. 2 months plus when you go to resell knowone cares if vin is dec 23 or jan 24 all they look at is model year and yes it will be worth a little more. People have this engrained from decades of purchasing from legacy oems. Plus if you were looking at buying a used car same mileage/specs which would you rather have honestly a 2020 or a 2019 for example.

Reactions: dinosoar888
Can we rename the group "Hey has anyone received a 2024 vin, thanks"

I'd watch that thread ;)

There's a thread for that.... 🤣

It's because its almost 2024. I'd prefer to have the current model year for 14 months vs. 2 months plus when you go to resell knowone cares if vin is dec 23 or jan 24 all they look at is model year and yes it will be worth a little more. People have this engrained from decades of purchasing from legacy oems. Plus if you were looking at buying a used car same mileage/specs which would you rather have honestly a 2020 or a 2019 for example.
A 2017 X with the same miles as a 2018 X is actually worth slightly more according to KBB. Why do you think a 2023 vs 2024 would be different?

Picked her up on a rainy Saturday. Front windows tinting, detailing and ceramic coating next.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    857.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    694.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    676.9 KB · Views: 70
I’m convinced that the people who keep spouting “well ACKTUALLY, Tesla doesn’t do model years” are just people who want to prove to others how much more they think they know about Tesla’s operations. If people want a 2024 VIN, let them have a 2024 VIN. Tesla has historically tied model years to certain refreshes (chrome delete Model 3, anyone?), and honest to god, it’s not that serious.

Picked her up on a rainy Saturday. Front windows tinting, detailing and ceramic coating next.
Looks great! Still waiting on my 9/4 NJ order VIN....

I think it might be more like a 9/6 or 9/7 order since I was getting some messages about the registration step not being completed when it was. Sales rep went in a few days later and said OK everything is good now and messages stopped. 🤷‍♂️

I’m convinced that the people who keep spouting “well ACKTUALLY, Tesla doesn’t do model years” are just people who want to prove to others how much more they think they know about Tesla’s operations. If people want a 2024 VIN, let them have a 2024 VIN. Tesla has historically tied model years to certain refreshes (chrome delete Model 3, anyone?), and honest to god, it’s not that serious.
I mean I'm not saying you're wrong... ;-)

There's nothing wrong with wanting a 2024 VIN, but the obsession over it seems kinda silly. I would *totally* do it for any other manufacturer but not for a Tesla. I think there is a bit of "educating the first time Tesla owner" thing going on here though, because its often something that hasn't historically been part of the Tesla community. Kinda like calling the sales centers "dealerships". I mean it's a little thing, but "We don't do that here"...

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong... ;-)

There's nothing wrong with wanting a 2024 VIN, but the obsession over it seems kinda silly. I would *totally* do it for any other manufacturer but not for a Tesla. I think there is a bit of "educating the first time Tesla owner" thing going on here though, because its often something that hasn't historically been part of the Tesla community. Kinda like calling the sales centers "dealerships". I mean it's a little thing, but "We don't do that here"...
I’m not saying YOU’RE wrong, but this hasn’t been true since 2020. Tesla USED to do things this way, but more recently has been tying refreshes to model years - Model 3 chrome delete refresh, Model 3 highland. That’s not to say that all refreshes would be tied to model year refreshes, but there is enough data to contradict this assumption that once was true. Tesla could absolutely refresh the S/X line with the 2024 model year upgrade (especially since the Shanghai Y just got ambient lighting, and I’m willing to bet those vehicles are 2024 ones), so just let people look forward to what they look forward to.

I could absolutely be wrong, by the way, but in the end, if people are holding out 2 weeks for a chance at a minor refresh because it makes them happy, who cares?

I’m not saying YOU’RE wrong, but this hasn’t been true since 2020. Tesla USED to do things this way, but more recently has been tying refreshes to model years - Model 3 chrome delete refresh, Model 3 highland. That’s not to say that all refreshes would be tied to model year refreshes, but there is enough data to contradict this assumption that once was true. Tesla could absolutely refresh the S/X line with the 2024 model year upgrade (especially since the Shanghai Y just got ambient lighting, and I’m willing to bet those vehicles are 2024 ones), so just let people look forward to what they look forward to.

I could absolutely be wrong, by the way, but in the end, if people are holding out 2 weeks for a chance at a minor refresh because it makes them happy, who cares?
I know more useless facts than you and therefore I win the internet

If the sentence you're about to say/post starts with the word actually (or includes it in a contrary context), I urge you to rephrase and/or consider deleting your comment/account, lol

• Funny
Reactions: NJturtlePower