Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the exact same configuration and order date, except my EDD is now 11/5 ~ 12/10. smh

The location is MA. no VIN either.

and my trade-in value has already dropped since the 1st offer expired. Seriously considering canceling the order, to be honest.
I learned my lesson for my MYP with trade in. Now with X order I am gonna wait to do the trade in after VIN assigned

Model X Saga:
My order date: 9/6
Tesla app order date: 9/7
MXLR Ultra Red poverty edition

EDD1: Oct-Nov
EDD2: Oct 10- Nov 21
EDD3: Oct 10- Nov 14
EDD4: Oct 24- Nov 28
EDD5: Oct 30- Nov 20
EDD6: Oct 31- Nov 21

No VIN yet. Hoping for a 2024 Model at least for changing the EDD this many times!
I had the same thing happen to me where the EDD updated daily, it happened for 9 days before I finally got my Vin

Been lurking here for a bit, thought I would give my updates/add extra data points for everyone else waiting:

Order Date: 9/8
Build: MXLR/ Blue/ Black/ 20in/ Steering Wheel
EDD 1: Oct-Nov
EDD 2: November 2 - December 14
EDD 3: November 5 - December 16
EDD 4: November 11 - December 16
VIN Assigned 10/31
EDD 5: 10/31 - 11/7

Hopefully everything goes well with delivery.

Been lurking here for a bit, thought I would give my updates/add extra data points for everyone else waiting:

Order Date: 9/8
Build: MXLR/ Blue/ Black/ 20in/ Steering Wheel
EDD 1: Oct-Nov
EDD 2: November 2 - December 14
EDD 3: November 5 - December 16
EDD 4: November 11 - December 16
VIN Assigned 10/31
EDD 5: 10/31 - 11/7

Hopefully everything goes well with delivery.
What are the first 3 digits of your VIN? 421xxx?

Reactions: domonas
417xxx, so it's an older build which would make sense how the delivery is within the week of a VIN assignment. Was skeptical of that because it usually takes 2 weeks to ship to the East Coast.

Hopefully, it's not a reject due to issues but fingers crossed...
417XXX is a build from middle of September...It most likely is an inventory car or a rejected vehicle. Someone probably was trying to pick it up, and then delayed it for like two weeks or so, and then decided against buying it.

How do you know the build date already?
I've been on this thread for a long time. 417XXX VINs were issued in mid-late September. First two weeks of October they were 419XXX and 420XXX. Now we are on 421XXX and soon, 422XXX.

You can also check the Model X tracker and it shows you.

However, keep in mind this is generally the case, and it's not an exact science. If you get a VIN that's 417XXX now, it was most likely a rejected vehicle by someone who didn't want it anymore. It doesn't mean that the car itself was bad, it could also mean financially, the person couldn't go through the transaction. I would go through these more with a fine tooth comb just in case.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801 and gsxdsm
I've been on this thread for a long time. 417XXX VINs were issued in mid-late September. First two weeks of October they were 419XXX and 420XXX. Now we are on 421XXX and soon, 422XXX.

However, keep in mind this is generally the case, and it's not an exact science. If you get a VIN that's 417XXX now, it was most likely a rejected vehicle by someone who didn't want it anymore. It doesn't mean that the car itself was bad, it could also mean financially, the person couldn't go through the transaction. I would go through these more with a fine tooth comb just in case.
Yep, makes sense. That's what I'm hoping for. But agreed, the lower VIN does make me a bit more cautious now when I'm going to pick it up. I don't mind getting an older build so just gonna inspect it thoroughly and if it looks good, I'll end up taking it.

So much more cost too. The base MSRP is $92k with no rebates. The iX "may" be more refined. But take a sale in Colorado, where with rebates an MX is $67.5k. Is the Base model iX $24,500 more luxurious, quiet, or refined. I guess that's dependent upon each individual, preference. And if you prefer performance, now you are looking at a $50,900 delta. My last car was a BMW, and before that I had an Audi. No doubt they are refined, but to me there comes a point of diminishing returns.
Yea, I’m not in CO. So, those rebates mean nothing to me, unfortunately. (Does the iX not qualify for rebates also in CO)?

The MXLR also goes to almost $90K by adding the bigger wheels and a non-black interior. And, people aren’t paying close to MSRP for iX. 10% off MSRP is the norm, and can do better most times. So, Model X LR is actually more expensive than iX 50.

But, yes, I put a fair amount of value into having peace and quiet. A Model Y P that I test drove was atrocious with its booming noise issue. I would gladly pay the premium for the X just to not have to deal with the possibility of drawing unlucky with that noise issue.

Last edited:

Sound like you know a lot hahaha. How do I know it’s 2024 model by the vin? My EDD is Dec 22 - Feb 16 now.

I tried the 'main' number, i'm up to 42:00 on hold with the world's worst music, interrupted by stupid clips of audio.
No option for a call back, nothing.

Am I black listed? I'll call from another number when I get a chance, see what happens.

Not. Got a human. very nice person, just took an HOUR on hold... he pressed some buttons, and the app updated within seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: awd_rails
Sound like you know a lot hahaha. How do I know it’s 2024 model by the vin? My EDD is Dec 22 - Feb 16 now.
Yup, 10th-digit other than a "P - 2023". None reported yet....

Reactions: Szzz and mathnerd88
(Long post, sorry)

Picked up my Ultra Red/White MXP this morning. Everything went very smoothly, including the wire that was sent yesterday by FedChoice, just as their documentation indicated would be done. Only issues I found were a slight bulge in the first 2-3" of rubber trim where the upright portion of the passenger FWD meets the flat top part. Cosmetic really as it still seals to dust and the water seals are underneath. Still, the SA noted it saying it would be fixed if I wanted. I'm kinda on the fence because it's not obvious. The carbon fiber retractable panel covering the cup holders had a very slight abrasion that only showed in certain light. SA said they would replace the whole thing for me if I chose, but as I drive with it halfway retracted 95% of the time (cupholders in use), I will never notice it. Might just let it be also. I think no one not specifically looking for it would see it. Also had some dirt/scuffs on the bottom of driver side door that SA cleaned up nicely for me.

Other than these, it was as close to perfect as I've seen any car get. The black trim around the windows lines up and isn't randomly tilted/depressed as I've seen some. Panel gaps are all even and none are excessively sized. The grayish plastic cladding around the wheel wells has a very tiny and uniform gap all the way around the circumference where it meets the paint. No issues whatsoever with FWD function, and the handles line up nearly perfectly with the fronts. No paint issues to my eye (I'm not a detailer). Definitely some orange peel and a few light swirls but I've never seen a car (new or otherwise) without these. No rattles, squeaks, vibrations - not even the shudder I noticed from day 1 on my 22 MSLR. All electronics working 100%, GPS accuracy flawless, FSD calibrated in less than 20 miles on my way home. Neither of my previous Teslas were this good. I am floored.

A few observations (good and bad) coming from a 2022 Model S LR for those you looking to live vicariously:

1. Power. Unbelievable power. Took my son for a drive and punched it from a dig to maybe 50-60 mph. What a rush. Probably not life altering like the MSP, but definitely WAY beyond what my MSLR could do on the best of days. More visceral punch than my M3P had and more top end than my MSLR. The power and torque in Plaid mode - especially at lower speeds - is so overwhelming I actually feel more comfortable in sport mode, which feels a lot like Insane mode on my MSLR, maybe even a touch more powerful. Seriously, I cannot overstate just how torquey and throttle sensitive Plaid mode is - if I sneezed and jerked my leg just a little bit the car would rocket forward and pin everyone in the vehicle to their seatbacks. I love it, my kids love it, my wife is so-so but adores watching the kids have such a good time with it. I'm a lucky man. 😁

2. That unending windshield. What an absolute joy. Today is one of those perfect crisp, fall days with scattered clouds over a bright blue sky, and just watching the scenery roll by as I drove the car home with some tunes going was a magical experience. Made me feel like I was driving a convertible. Sun in the upper portion didn't bother me one bit, either, which was particularly suprising given that I didn't have my Maui Jim's.

3. The suspension is definitely firm when I pick the right settings, but compliant in comfort mode. A good deal better than my MS LR, for sure. The testers I drove previously didn't feel nearly as nice.

4. A decent amount more wind noise at highway speeds than my MS LR. Still a composed and quiet experience, but not on par with the MS, which was excellent. Seems at least partially due to the acres of glass surrounding you.

5. Still can't get my FWDs to open fully every time in my garage. They do a pretty good job with only a single button press, allowing me (5'11") to get in easily with just a bit of stooping, and would be more than enough for my kids to enter (primary occupants for those seats), but I would still like to resolve this issue. The car only seems to prompt me with the "Open fully at this location" button some of the time when I open them, and the setting doesn't seem to really do anything. Good thing is that I'm sure they can open all the way, so I don't have to watch them closely as I nudge it a few inches at a time.

6. The front sliding tray (oppose the cupholder slider) feels a little loose and rattles a bit when sliding. Oddly, my MS tray - which seems identical - felt pretty tight and high quality. Not sure if they're cheaping on some of these less used parts, but yeah.

7. The red brakes on the plaid look nice and loud, but tbh I think I would have preferred the black they used to be. I thought this was a good change until I see how much that Ferrari red clashes with the classier Ultra red. Not that noticeable though, overall.

8. Camera quality compared to my old MS (with HW3) is superb. Much more accurate color and better resolution. FSDb feels MUCH improved from the MS, but I don't know if that's the HW4.

9. Vision (as others have posted many times) is 100% useless for parking. I have always disabled parking chimes and I do so again for this car.

10. The front door open, pause, then pull open took me several uses to get used to. It doesn't seem to be an issue when opening from the outside, and inside I just pop the door, then remove my belt and get out. By the time I'm actually trying to open the door the motor has released.

11. Coming from a Model S which still had a few legacy components from a very old platform (some of which they updated since I took delivery in Jan 2022), I'm loving the newer pedigree of the Model X. Components like the taillights, headlights, charge port, trunk mechanism and a few other minor ones feel more on par with a M3/MY-era car, and less a decade old platform.

12. I'm not at all crazy about the configuration of the subtrunk cover panel. There is no holder to keep it up if you want it vertical, and if you put it in the lower setting (my likely default position), there are some gaps around the edges of it making it look a bit kludgey. You can also see those unfortunate wire harnesses for the third row seats in that position, which looks unrefined and cheap.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the car and the experience. Very glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Now a couple of photos. Pardon the wacky second shot - I really like the lines of the front 3/4 views. It's a handsome car, if perhaps not as good looking as its sedan siblings:

PXL_20231031_183039582.jpg

PXL_20231031_183146132.jpg

Last edited:
(Long post, sorry)

Picked up my Ultra Red/White MXP this morning. Everything went very smoothly, including the wire that was sent yesterday by FedChoice, just as their documentation indicated would be done. Only issues I found were a slight bulge in the first 2-3" of rubber trim where the upright portion of the passenger FWD meets the flat top part. Cosmetic really as it still seals to dust and the water seals are underneath. Still, the SA noted it saying it would be fixed if I wanted. I'm kinda on the fence because it's not obvious. The carbon fiber retractable panel covering the cup holders had a very slight abrasion that only showed in certain light. SA said they would replace the whole thing for me if I chose, but as I drive with it halfway retracted 95% of the time (cupholders in use), I will never notice it. Might just let it be also. I think no one not specifically looking for it would see it. Also had some dirt/scuffs on the bottom of driver side door that SA cleaned up nicely for me.

Other than these, it was as close to perfect as I've seen any car get. The black trim around the windows lines up and isn't randomly tilted/depressed as I've seen some. Panel gaps are all even and none are excessively sized. The grayish plastic cladding around the wheel wells has a very tiny and uniform gap all the way around the circumference where it meets the paint. No issues whatsoever with FWD function, and the handles line up nearly perfectly with the fronts. No paint issues to my eye (I'm not a detailer). Definitely some orange peel and a few light swirls but I've never seen a car (new or otherwise) without these. No rattles, squeaks, vibrations - not even the shudder I noticed from day 1 on my 22 MSLR. All electronics working 100%, GPS accuracy flawless, FSD calibrated in less than 20 miles on my way home. Neither of my previous Teslas were this good. I am floored.

A few observations (good and bad) coming from a 2022 Model S LR for those you looking to live vicariously:

1. Power. Unbelievable power. Took my son for a drive and punched it from a dig to maybe 50-60 mph. What a rush. Probably not life altering like the MSP, but definitely WAY beyond what my MSLR could do on the best of days. More visceral punch than my M3P had and more top end than my MSLR. The power and torque in Plaid mode - especially at lower speeds - is so overwhelming I actually feel more comfortable in sport mode, which feels a lot like Insane mode on my MSLR, maybe even a touch more powerful. Seriously, I cannot overstate just how torquey and throttle sensitive Plaid mode is - if I sneezed and jerked my leg just a little bit the car would rocket forward and pin every in the vehicle to their seatbacks. I love it, my kids love it, my wife is so-so but adores watching the kids have such a good time with it. I'm a lucky man. 😁

2. That unending windshield. What an absolute joy. Today is one of those perfect crisp, fall days with scattered clouds over a bright blue sky, and just watching the scenery roll by as I drove the car home with some tunes going was a magical experience. Made me feel like I was driving a convertible. Sun in the upper portion didn't bother me one bit, either, which was particularly suprising given that I didn't have my Maui Jim's.

3. The suspension is definitely firm when I pick the right settings, but compliant in comfort mode. A good deal better than my MS LR, for sure. The testers I drove previously didn't feel nearly as nice.

4. A decent amount more wind noise at highway speeds than my MS LR. Still a composed and quiet experience, but not on par with the MS, which was excellent. Seems at least partially due to the acres of glass surrounding you.

5. Still can't get my FWDs to open fully every time in my garage. They do a pretty good job with only a single button press, allowing me (5'11") to get in easily with just a bit of stooping, and would be more than enough for my kids to enter (primary occupants for those seats), but I would still like to resolve this issue. The car only seems to prompt me with the "Open fully at this location" button some of the time when I open them, and the setting doesn't seem to really do anything. Good thing is that I'm sure they can open all the way, so I don't have to watch them closely as I nudge it a few inches at a time.

6. The front sliding tray (oppose the cupholder slider) feels a little loose and rattles a bit when sliding. Oddly, my MS tray - which seems identical - felt pretty tight and high quality. Not sure if they're cheaping on some of these less used parts, but yeah.

7. The red brakes on the plaid look nice and loud, but tbh I think I would have preferred the black they used to be. I thought this was a good change until I see how much that Ferrari red clashes with the classier Ultra red. Not that noticeable though, overall.

8. Camera quality compared to my old MS (with HW3) is superb. Much more accurate color and better resolution. FSDb feels MUCH improved from the MS, but I don't know if that's the HW4.

9. Vision (as others have posted many times) is 100% useless for parking. I have always disabled parking chimes and I do so again for this car.

10. The front door open, pause, then pull open took me several uses to get used to. It doesn't seem to be an issue when opening from the outside, and inside I just pop the door, then remove my belt and get out. By the time I'm actually trying to open the door the motor has released.

11. Coming from a Model S which still had a few legacy components from a very old platform (some of which they updated since I took delivery in Jan 2022), I'm loving the newer pedigree of the Model X. Components like the taillights, headlights, charge port, trunk mechanism and a few other minor ones feel more on par with a M3/MY-era car, and less a decade old platform.

12. I'm not at all crazy about the configuration of the subtrunk cover panel. There is no holder to keep it up if you want it vertical, and if you put it in the lower setting (my likely default position), there are some gaps around the edges of it making it look a bit kludgey. You can also see those unfortunate wire harnesses for the third row seats in that position, which looks unrefined and cheap.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the car and the experience. Very glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Now a couple of photos. Pardon the wacky second shot - I really like the lines of the front 3/4 views. It's a handsome car, if perhaps not as good looking than its sedan siblings:

View attachment 986810
View attachment 986811
Jealous. Looks fantastic!

Reactions: Neon001
Yea, I’m not in CO. So, those rebates mean nothing to me, unfortunately. (Does the iX not qualify for rebates also in CO)?

The MXLR also goes to almost $90K by adding the bigger wheels and a non-black interior. And, people aren’t paying close to MSRP for iX. 10% off MSRP is the norm, and can do better most times. So, Model X LR is actually more expensive than iX 50.

But, yes, I put a fair amount of value into having peace and quiet. A Model Y P that I test drove was atrocious with its booming noise issue. I would gladly pay the premium for the X just to not have to deal with the possibility of drawing unlucky with that noise issue.

No the iX is over the $80k threshold. And to make comparisons more Apples to Apples, once you start making upgrades to the iX 50 it quickly outpaces the MXLR in price, even with 10% off MSRP.

But everyone has to find the right deal for their situation, so I don't doubt for some the iX or EQS or Q8 E-Tron is the better or preferred deal.