Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Seattle area, 9/22 order date, still no VIN, EDD is Nov 22 - Dec 27. Still not applied for loan.

If you were in my situation, what would you do? Do I still have hope for delivery prior to Dec 31?

For Seattle area folks, after getting VIN, when did you schedule your delivery?

MXLR, Ultra Red, 5 seat.
3 days after VIN, app let me schedule delivery. They delivered to Sodo though when I requested Lynnwood initially.

Reactions: Fight_Club
I think I'm going to cancel my order and go with the inventory stock (I have both on order). Only difference is that the inventory model has the yoke for an additional $1k, and since I hate the yoke, I'll end up paying another $750 to retrofit the steering wheel. Sigh!

I think I'm going to cancel my order and go with the inventory stock (I have both on order). Only difference is that the inventory model has the yoke for an additional $1k, and since I hate the yoke, I'll end up paying another $750 to retrofit the steering wheel. Sigh!
Just keep in mind if you're depending on the tax credit, the yoke pushes it above that limit. So it would end up costing you an extra 9250 total.

So I had a terrible experience driving home. As I had suspected, Tesla quality is pretty crap. I heard lots of noises from one FWD and when I came home, noted this.

IMG_0971.jpeg

Upon looking through, I see more issues…they tried to hide more things. The rubber seal was placed poorly, causing the trim to fall off.

image.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: domonas
Well, I guess I have to set up a service appointment. This is not what you expect for an $80k car. It’s pretty disappointing to be honest. This shows how poor they really care about building the car. And something as simple as this can be missed so easily during assembly.

This will be my only and last Tesla I’ll ever own.

Last edited:
Seeing the hundreds to thousands of build quality issues on this forum you didn’t expect this?
Oh I expected this. I just didn’t know it was THIS bad. I don’t mind some mild panel misalignment but this is pretty terrible. Also, everyone’s been saying the build quality has gotten tons better and everyone’s been saying their car is perfect so I guess I got suckered into believing that Tesla improved their build quality.

Never in my life I’ve had issues from any car manufacturers off the lot.

So I had a terrible experience driving home. As I had suspected, Tesla quality is pretty crap. I heard lots of noises from one FWD and when I came home, noted this.

View attachment 991691

Upon looking through, I see more issues…they tried to hide more things. The rubber seal was placed poorly, causing the trim to fall off.

View attachment 991693
That's terrible for a consider a top of the line Tesla's model. I had been warned about Tesla's quality before I placed an order for MX. I've been driving nothing but Lexus (LX, GX, ES) for the last 25 years and the quality is superior. Now I am not ready to deal with the Tesla's quality headache. Anyway, hope Tesla will fix/correct all of the issues before they hand it back to you.

That's terrible for a consider a top of the line Tesla's model. I had been warned about Tesla's quality before I placed an order for MX. I've been driving nothing but Lexus (LX, GX, ES) for the last 25 years and the quality is superior. Now I am not ready to deal with the Tesla's quality headache. Anyway, hope Tesla will fix/correct all of the issues before they hand it back to you.

Well, I have a Mobile Service Appointment happening 11/21. Hopefully no problems then, but I want them to fix the rubber trim also that's obviously bad. If they just double tape the side piece trim it'll just pop off again.

Basically I'm not going to drive the car until it gets fixed.

So what happens during delivery ? Can I inspect the car before signing stuff? If i want to refuse delivery how that works? Should I go early to look at the car ?

My delivery in July '22 in Minneapolis, MN...

From the app, I told them I had arrived. Looked around for my vehicle, found it and the VIN matched. It was unlocked and we started inspection. Couldn't get the key cards to pair with my phone and saw they had a big (garage) door open, so walked over and told them my issue. This is the first we talked to a live person. They gave me another set of key cards. Paired my phone, finished inspection and in the app, accepted delivery. Then drove off.

Had we not had trouble with the key cards, we would have had zero contact with a live person. Never found anything worth getting fixed. There was a little plastic in a few areas we had to remove, and had to have mobile service install my garage opener later. (I had asked to have it installed before I took delivery and they declined.) Didn't have any issues needing fixing with my '18 LR 3 either.

Since we're in the midwest, it's usual practice for them to install front mud guards and ppf in front of the rear wheels.

Reactions: cktemp
I am in Seattle area, 9/22 order date, still no VIN, EDD is Nov 22 - Dec 27. Still not applied for loan.

If you were in my situation, what would you do? Do I still have hope for delivery prior to Dec 31?

For Seattle area folks, after getting VIN, when did you schedule your delivery?

MXLR, Ultra Red, 5 seat.
@fightclub
The way things are trending you should get VIN around end of November and delivery around mid December.

Reactions: Fight_Club
Finally got the VIN.

Config: Model X / Red / Cream interior / regular steering / LR / 20"
Order date: 9/5

EDD1: 10/12 - 11/23
EDD2: 11/03 - 12/15
Final EDD after VIN: 11/19 - 11/26

Got approved for FedChoice for 3.99% APR, submitted MVPA waiting for their final process and next step.
Already got sms from Tesla for downpayment and insurance requirement but will wait as the final EDD is 15 days from now. Will do once I get final process is done with FedChoice.

Exciting.
Finally got my delivery.
Was a very Terrible experience.
1. The trunk right side had a big panel gap where I was able to insert my finger in them and can read the part written inside from outside. Asked them to correct so they made small tweak which made it better. Thank god they didn’t said this is within spec.
2. Inside cabin, the right passenger door closer has a big gap where I can insert the whole 4 finger in them. They say it is within spec. I cried literally.
3. Lots of small dirt inside my cream interior.
4. My Tesla app didn’t allow me to review the appointment and agreement making them to send me an sms through which I had to make my down payment took considerable amount of time.
Other than these 3 I didn’t have that many to complain.

But for a 80k + car this is completely not acceptable. I couldn’t digest that they can give this kind of problem on these cars.

End up taking deliver as I had good loan interest with fed choice with 3.99 Apr so doesn’t want to complicate things.

Oh I expected this. I just didn’t know it was THIS bad. I don’t mind some mild panel misalignment but this is pretty terrible. Also, everyone’s been saying the build quality has gotten tons better and everyone’s been saying their car is perfect so I guess I got suckered into believing that Tesla improved their build quality.

Never in my life I’ve had issues from any car manufacturers off the lot.
Tesla convertible? Model Y roof flies off while owners drive down California highway ;)

Finally got my delivery.
Was a very Terrible experience.
1. The trunk right side had a big panel gap where I was able to insert my finger in them and can read the part written inside from outside. Asked them to correct so they made small tweak which made it better. Thank god they didn’t said this is within spec.
2. Inside cabin, the right passenger door closer has a big gap where I can insert the whole 4 finger in them. They say it is within spec. I cried literally.
3. Lots of small dirt inside my cream interior.
4. My Tesla app didn’t allow me to review the appointment and agreement making them to send me an sms through which I had to make my down payment took considerable amount of time.
Other than these 3 I didn’t have that many to complain.

But for a 80k + car this is completely not acceptable. I couldn’t digest that they can give this kind of problem on these cars.

End up taking deliver as I had good loan interest with fed choice with 3.99 Apr so doesn’t want to complicate things.
makes me scared for my delivery date. a mix of exciting and trepidation.

• Funny
Reactions: Vinoth
I like the yoke but had to keep the wheel to keep in the tax credit price. I am north of Houston with a Jan-Feb delivery window. If you do end up with the yoke —- let’s make a deal :).

So I went to check out the car early (still Monday pickup). Only inspected the exterior. But so far so good. They will detail the car Monday before I get to the dealership, will give it another look over to ensure I didn’t miss anything. Nothing outrageous. Mainly just items I probably would have never cared about if I hadn’t joined this forum 😄.
I'm scheduled for 11/24 delivery. Texted SA to see if I could visually inspect it before I wire everything in, but they refused. So I'm gonna sneak into the service center either on Wednesday when we have an early release or on Thanksgiving to look at the car. I, too, had not so good experience when we took delivery of the 2019 MX 100D. Lots of panel gap issues, and this particular service center claimed all within Tesla spec and refused to fix anything. I have to take it to another service center to have them all fixed.

Despite folks experiencing much better build quality, I will treat the 2023 MX to be the same crappy build quality as the 2019 MX we bought in the past. I will be more than happy if Tesla proves me wrong.