Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery/Installation: Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear these are starting to roll out.
I called Chicago Service to inquire if they were aware that this installation had been reported on TMC --> they weren't and hadn't heard anything officially from headquarters.
I do hope they give priority for a retrofit install to Sigs who have been waiting for these for quite some time (tired of doing the 3-booster seat thing for my kids).

Here's what I found on the internet:

Rear facing seats are child restraint systems and must only be used for children over 37” tall and weighting between 35 and 77 lbs. Always ensure the top of the child’s head can not contact the vehicle and that the child is seated comfortably with the seat belts positioned and latched correctly. Follow all instructions provided and do not use supplemental child restraint systems in these seats.

Can you completely remove the seats and leve them in the garage if you need all the space in the trunk for luggage? It would be great to have them in the car for normal everyday use and be able to take them completely out for a vacation trip.

Can you completely remove the seats and leve them in the garage if you need all the space in the trunk for luggage? It would be great to have them in the car for normal everyday use and be able to take them completely out for a vacation trip.

I believe the answer is "yes, but it requires tools". Maybe it's actually really easy, but that's the impression I got from asking tesla folk: seats are installed and in-installed

Rear facing seats are child restraint systems and must only be used for children over 37” tall and weighting between 35 and 77 lbs. Always ensure the top of the child’s head can not contact the vehicle and that the child is seated comfortably with the seat belts positioned and latched correctly. Follow all instructions provided and do not use supplemental child restraint systems in these seats.

Which is a far cry from my brother and I back in the 70s (granted, this is a stock photo, but you get the point)

Ours was not a Saab, but a Chevy and there were no belts, no height requirement, and if we took dad's Cutlass, we laid on the window shelf in the back.

Attachments

• two-towheads-saab.jpg
    two-towheads-saab.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,906
I don't think 5/5 would work. looks like under 4'10"

Even 4'10" might be pushing it. I was originally thinking about getting the seats until my very petite 15 year old daughter and I went to the Houston Gallery to sit in the car ourselves. While we loved the car, at 5'2" she looked like Gulliver when sitting in the rear facing seats. Her entire head was sticking out of the car.

Does anyone have a definitive answer from Tesla as to whether the rear facing jump seats can be purchased later? Or must the hardware to which they're attached be installed at production time? A search of posts here results in some that say these seats can be installed later and others that say they cannot.

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone with the jump seats could compare their trunk to that of a car ordered without the jump seats (with pictures, please). Thanks.

We are getting our Model S with the rear facing seats. Our son is currently 14 months old, and on the small side (29" and 21 lbs), so looks like we may have a while to go before we can use them. Slightly off-topic, but any advice for which car seat will work best in the back seat of the Model S, preferably with a center-seat installation? We currently have a Britax Marathon but will probably leave that installed in our ICE vehicle.

Thank to the OP for the pics of the rear seats installed. We had only seen the beta at the Scottsdale store. They look great! :D

I've been told before by Tesla people more than once that the seats have to be ordered with the car. I think because the mount points for the seats can't be added in later.
That just doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint. That would be a major difference to the rear subframe. My guess is they just cover the mount points w/ dynamat and carpet.

I've been told before by Tesla people more than once that the seats have to be ordered with the car. I think because the mount points for the seats can't be added in later.

I was told that the seats should be ordered with the car.

The mounts can be added later, but it will cost more than if you order it upfront.

Once the mounts are in, the seats can be removed and put back. However, it is suggested that a Tesla technician/ranger do it - i.e. not something we should do on our own.

I guess information on the back seats, like most things at Tesla, varies by which rep you talk to.

I believe the rear seats (i.e. the second row) are different in a car equipped for the third row seats. At least when I saw one of the cars at Menlo Park that had the third row, there were latch points in the back of the second row seats. I'm not 100% sure this was the final design, and this area is not shown in rwang's photos, but perhaps somebody who is owed the third row seats can confirm?

Anyway, I did not order the third row, and I do not have these latch points in my second row seats. If the design is as I saw, then I imagine that a retrofit of the third row might require replacing the second row as well.

Slightly off-topic, but any advice for which car seat will work best in the back seat of the Model S, preferably with a center-seat installation?

I found this pic on another thread. I like this seat, the Combi Cocorro. I don't think any of the color options will match our Model S (Green Metallic, Grey leather).

teslamodelsdrive47.jpg

Sorry for being off-topic though :). Can't wait till we can use our rear facing seats! Receiving our Model S will be a nice start...

Last edited: