Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Rejection - At least 18 issues found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1: I have a chip on the passenger side door that's a little smaller.
2: No marking found.
3/4. No problem with fitment.
5. No nicks on both doors.
6. No roof lining issues
7. No fitment issues on both left/right seams.
8/9: No scratches
10/11/12/13: Same. I have missing paint in the same areas.
14: No fitment issue
15: No chipped or rubbed away paint issue with this.
16: Mine is the same. The rubber / plastic just sits there, it's not glued in.
17: Same. I have missing paint there as well.

18: No issues on the wheels.

Just a few pics:
View attachment 539664 View attachment 539666 View attachment 539668View attachment 539669
Great and reassuring comparison here!

@andymac did you collect a new car on Monday? If so how was it?

I did!

Still quite a few issues, but much less (about 12). Importantly for me, roof lining was fine on this one, although while I was waiting, for about an hour, I looked at others in the parking lot and about half had poor roof lining. Mostly badly overlapped on the front seam by the windscreen. Also about half had the issue with the plastic behind the C-Pillar.

Also, managed to get a service technician out to talk to during the visit, which assured me on fitment issues etc and a detailer came out to remove some of the marks I found. Technician explained the fix for the C-pillar plastic, which isn't perfect on my VIN.

Have listed the 5 max issues on the app and have a remote service at the end of the month. Will repeat until all have been processed one way or another.

Outside of this, loving the car as I knew I would, for the short grocery trips we're allowed to do in lockdown!

Thanks for the feedback and glad to finally be part of the community.

Had to get a cliche shot:

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-09 at 11.14.02.jpeg

I did!

Still quite a few issues, but much less (about 12). Importantly for me, roof lining was fine on this one, although while I was waiting, for about an hour, I looked at others in the parking lot and about half had poor roof lining. Mostly badly overlapped on the front seam by the windscreen. Also about half had the issue with the plastic behind the C-Pillar.

Also, managed to get a service technician out to talk to during the visit, which assured me on fitment issues etc and a detailer came out to remove some of the marks I found. Technician explained the fix for the C-pillar plastic, which isn't perfect on my VIN.

Have listed the 5 max issues on the app and have a remote service at the end of the month. Will repeat until all have been processed one way or another.

Outside of this, loving the car as I knew I would, for the short grocery trips we're allowed to do in lockdown!

Congrats on your new car!

What I'll say is - don't let these small things get in the way of enjoying the car. Remember, the first time a rock or gravel hits the car, it'll do worse damage than these anyway.

So drive the hell out of it, enjoy it, and have a blast! Welcome aboard!

I did!

View attachment 540017

Congratulations. Thanks for the update and pic. Enjoy the car!

Reactions: andymac
Congratulations as well. Interesting thread. I also just purchased a blue M3P and had a list of ~ 16 issues, some similar to yours, that were mainly resolved in a visit to a service center about 20 miles away here in New England. I initially considered rejecting it, but with the Fremont plant shut down for COVID-19, it might be some time before another car is available and most of the issues appeared to be, and in fact were, fixable. Details appear in the following TMC thread:

Rust Vulnerability?

Here is a link to pictures that include the visible issues, mainly exterior.
Tesla
I will keep adding pictures with explanatory titles to Flickr.

If anyone has any thoughts regarding rust vulnerability, please post in that thread.

Are UK M3s also from Fremont, CA?

Cheers.

• Helpful
Reactions: andymac
Congratulations as well. Interesting thread. I also just purchased a blue M3P and had a list of ~ 16 issues, some similar to yours, that were mainly resolved in a visit to a service center about 20 miles away here in New England. I initially considered rejecting it, but with the Fremont plant shut down for COVID-19, it might be some time before another car is available and most of the issues appeared to be, and in fact were, fixable. Details appear in the following TMC thread:

Rust Vulnerability?

Here is a link to pictures that include the visible issues, mainly exterior.
Tesla
I will keep adding pictures with explanatory titles to Flickr.

If anyone has any thoughts regarding rust vulnerability, please post in that thread.

Are UK M3s also from Fremont, CA?

Cheers.

Thanks! And nice car

Great to hear about the issues they fixed for you. Including door misalignment which I actually didn't consider asking them to fix as assumed it was a chassis tolerance issue, will certainly add to list of exterior fixes.

I assume they were all free of charge fixes due to the issues existing at collection?

I'm also concerned about rust vulnerability with the exterior paint chips etc.

Thanks! And nice car

Great to hear about the issues they fixed for you. Including door misalignment which I actually didn't consider asking them to fix as assumed it was a chassis tolerance issue, will certainly add to list of exterior fixes.

I assume they were all free of charge fixes due to the issues existing at collection?

I'm also concerned about rust vulnerability with the exterior paint chips etc.

Yes, all free of charge.
The car is sitting in the garage with just 144 miles on it, most from delivery and a round trip to the service center. That is OK given our COVID-19 lock down, which has delayed shipment of the new Martian forged wheels by 6 weeks as well as an appointment to have PPF applied to the end of May.

Does yours also have the opening in the front fender liner?

Yes, all free of charge.
The car is sitting in the garage with just 144 miles on it, most from delivery and a round trip to the service center. That is OK given our COVID-19 lock down, which has delayed shipment of the new Martian forged wheels by 6 weeks as well as an appointment to have PPF applied to the end of May.

Thanks for posting and nice car! I'm curious about what the SC said or did about the unpainted areas around the door jambs, hinges etc.?

Thanks for posting and nice car! I'm curious about what the SC said or did about the unpainted areas around the door jambs, hinges etc.?

Here is what they wrote about that:

Concern: Customer states: Both left & right front door jambs, near hinges, missing blue paint.
"Customer Education: Door hinges do not receive direct paint application. Over spray may be present.

Correction: NO LABOR PERFORMED"

I don't really care if it is blue there, just don't want it to rust. But they won't answer my rust vulnerability questions. Now, I have learned that the jack points are aluminum, so how to they prevent galvanic reactions where it meets steel?

I don't really care if it is blue there, just don't want it to rust. But they won't answer my rust vulnerability questions.

The entire body is submerged in an e-Coat that is the rust preventative. If you watch Sandy Munro's videos about his tear down of the Model Y he praises Tesla for not painting the non-exposed portions of the vehicle in reducing unnecessary pollution and saving on costs.

Now, I have learned that the jack points are aluminum, so how to they prevent galvanic reactions where it meets steel?

They have always used a mix of steel and aluminum, and the only galvanic reactions I have seen are from where people added after-market tow hitches to the Model S. If you don't trust Tesla to properly engineer their cars, maybe you shouldn't own one. :rolleyes:

Here is what they wrote about that:

Concern: Customer states: Both left & right front door jambs, near hinges, missing blue paint.
"Customer Education: Door hinges do not receive direct paint application. Over spray may be present.

Correction: NO LABOR PERFORMED"

I don't really care if it is blue there, just don't want it to rust. But they won't answer my rust vulnerability questions. Now, I have learned that the jack points are aluminum, so how to they prevent galvanic reactions where it meets steel?

I'm not bothered by the unpainted areas either, but the possibility of rust did cross by mind when I first noticed it. I will have to check if mine has the hole and report back. I expect that it will.

The entire body is submerged in an e-Coat that is the rust preventative. If you watch Sandy Munro's videos about his tear down of the Model Y he praises Tesla for not painting the non-exposed portions of the vehicle in reducing unnecessary pollution and saving on costs.

This is good to know.

Last edited:

They have always used a mix of steel and aluminum, and the only galvanic reactions I have seen are from where people added after-market tow hitches to the Model S. If you don't trust Tesla to properly engineer their cars, maybe you shouldn't own one. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful information. Since before ordering the car, I have been trying with no success to get such answers from Tesla, which is why it might appear that I don't trust Tesla engineering. I would not have bought the car if I didn't think they had addressed rust/corrosion prevention using proven techniques. It's just that my engineering mind, and decades of dealing with automotive rust, wants to understand how they do it. In particular, why is there an open hole in the front fender liners that appears to invite sandblasting primered steel and accumulation of crud where the steel rocker panels meet the steel fenders? Could you please provide a link where I can see Sandy Munro's videos? Thanks.

Thanks for the helpful information. Since before ordering the car, I have been trying with no success to get such answers from Tesla, which is why it might appear that I don't trust Tesla engineering. I would not have bought the car if I didn't think they had addressed rust/corrosion prevention using proven techniques. It's just that my engineering mind, and decades of dealing with automotive rust, wants to understand how they do it. In particular, why is there an open hole in the front fender liners that appears to invite sandblasting primered steel and accumulation of crud where the steel rocker panels meet the steel fenders? Could you please provide a link where I can see Sandy Munro's videos? Thanks.
M3 Fender Liner.jpg
I hope it is visible on the thumbnail, but my car's liner fits well and has a small hole, neatly trimmed, to provide some ventilation of the cavity behind it. Anyway, that's what my engineer's mind supposes. Different from the other pics I have seen, and a much more finished look. It is a December 2019 build - first or second week judging by when I received my VIN. FWIW, the grey deposit on the lower rocker panel crimp is road film, not abrasion. Baby needs a bath.

View attachment 540331
I hope it is visible on the thumbnail, but my car's liner fits well and has a small hole, neatly trimmed, to provide some ventilation of the cavity behind it. Anyway, that's what my engineer's mind supposes. Different from the other pics I have seen, and a much more finished look. It is a December 2019 build - first or second week judging by when I received my VIN. FWIW, the grey deposit on the lower rocker panel crimp is road film, not abrasion. Baby needs a bath.

Thanks for posting. That looks the same as my 2020. Inside that hole, can you see exposed metal, painted light grey? I think that is primer or the E-Coat mentioned above, intended to prevent rust. The only reason I can think of for why they put the hole there is so you can rinse it out with a hose. But the hole is in the path where the tire picks up sand, etc. from the road and my concern is that it will damage that coating, allowing rust to begin. Being from the outside-in, such rust would not be covered by the Tesla 12 year warranty. It is much more of a concern here in New England where salt+ sand is used on roads during winter.

Thanks for posting. That looks the same as my 2020. Inside that hole, can you see exposed metal, painted light grey? I think that is primer or the E-Coat mentioned above, intended to prevent rust. The only reason I can think of for why they put the hole there is so you can rinse it out with a hose. But the hole is in the path where the tire picks up sand, etc. from the road and my concern is that it will damage that coating, allowing rust to begin. Being from the outside-in, such rust would not be covered by the Tesla 12 year warranty. It is much more of a concern here in New England where salt+ sand is used on roads during winter.

You could always purchase some anti-rust primer and carefully apply it to that area, checking it periodically as time goes by.

I spent four cold February days in Boston a few years ago. When I turned my rental in it looked like it had been in a salt bath. Nothing is safe from salt and sand up there. It does appear to me that the hole in the liner is small enough that it would limit the abrasive effects of salt and sand from the road - but large enough to provide for ventilation of the space behind the liner. Also, the e-deposit primer should be effective also. Maybe you can remember the not so old days when northern cars had rotting rocker panels after one or two winters. I'm sure the Tesla will fare better. Good luck.

At the end of the day, it's a car designed by humans, and partially built by humans. Its also a car, you'll buy another one in 5 years on average....

It will never be perfect, no car is. If you go to the delivery expecting to find problems, you will.
Lmao to the idiots who disagree, Is the car not designed by humans, and thus imperfect or are you just mouthbreathers who don’t understand That