Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deposits refundable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially my owner advisor told me it was not transferable. I quoted the CPO Oder agreement to him which explicitly states that it is transferable not not refundable, he was very very apologetic and stated he hadn't realized realize the CPO program had that policy.

My deposit was transferred to a different VIN within 5 minutes.

I ordered a new 85 in July 2014. Deposit on my Visa. Got a call from the DS on November 3 2014 that my car had arrived and they could deliver on the 5th or 6th. I had to delay because my wife had been told she might be terminally ill, and we would know for sure on Nov 5. I was told that Tesla would refund my deposit if diagnosis was confirmed. Sadly, it was. On the 5th or 6th I called the DS and told him my wife's illness had been confirmed. They never asked for any proof or anything like that. What a stand-up company! It took a few months, but Tesla refunded my entire deposit less $750 for the wall charger, which I had already installed (otherwise they would have taken it back).
So yes, in exigent circumstances, Tesla will quite likely refund your deposit even up to the time the car arrives in the showroom, as mine had. I hope no one else ever has to find this out like I did.

I have a similar issue. Last month, I made a quick decision and put down a $1000 payment for an inventory car for my wife. The car was in Seattle and I was planning to drive it down. After discussions with my wife, she didn't want that particular color/options. Within 24 hours of that order I called my OA to cancel my order. I did not sign any forms during that process except the initial online payment. And obviously, the car shipping was not of concern that soon.
They agreed I won't lose my deposit and could be moved to another car. I have placed a custom order now and was hoping they would apply the payment to it but they are not willing as they say it can only be another inventory car. I obviously do not want an inventory car, especially now, with the refresh. I heard of people moving their deposits from CPO to new cars. I thought inventory to new cars would have been no problem? Any possibility they could be coaxed into doing it.

I was deciding between a custom 70D and a CPO a couple of weeks ago. I put down the $2500 deposit on the custom. I was told it was fully refundable for 7 days until the order is confirmed. Then it enters production. I decided to go with a CPO and put down $1000 on one of the few available before finding out that the CPO inventory would be replenished in a month or two. I was told that the $1000 deposit was transferable to another CPO or inventory car for three days but not refundable. No problem moving the $2500 custom deposit over to the CPO within the time frame.

Yes, custom orders can be cancelled upto 1 week for full refund. The question is whether a previous deposit on a CPO Or inventory can be applied to a new custom order?

I was told yes by someone in Palo Alto and someone in Tampa.

Subsequently, when I tried to actually do it I was told no by "leadership."

IMHO, pretty bad policy and pretty bad that nobody seems to really know the answer?

I got some BS answer about a car in San Francisco that I can’t see it before I put a deposit. They sent me picture le but you can’t tell if there are scratches or door dings. Can’t tell how much tire tread or brakes are left. Don’t like this policy.

I am struggling with the same issue. Planning on buying 2016 Model S CPO, and its very hard to evaluate the condition of the car from those low quality pictures shared over dropbox. Tesla is not being helpful here.