Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diameter of current-generation wall connector cable (24 foot model)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pardon the crosspost with reddit, but:

I'd like to run the wall connector cable across where my girlfriend parks but want to protect the cable for what should be obvious reasons, so I'm going to run it through a cable ramp that she can safely drive over. That said, I want to make sure I order a ramp that'll accommodate the cable thickness. Does anyone have a measurement for the thickness of the wall connector cable, specifically the 24-foot model if there's a difference between the 8-foot model and that.

Thanks in advance.

It's about 3/4" of an inch high. I'd round it to 1".

IMG_0536.JPG

Pardon the crosspost with reddit, but:

I'd like to run the wall connector cable across where my girlfriend parks but want to protect the cable for what should be obvious reasons, so I'm going to run it through a cable ramp that she can safely drive over. That said, I want to make sure I order a ramp that'll accommodate the cable thickness. Does anyone have a measurement for the thickness of the wall connector cable, specifically the 24-foot model if there's a difference between the 8-foot model and that.

Thanks in advance.
Hey what model of ramp did you finally decide on? I have found a few on amazon but they only accommodate up to 1/2".

I'm interested to know also, I may have a similar issue.
Hey what model of ramp did you finally decide on? I have found a few on amazon but they only accommodate up to 1/2".

Hey! Sorry for the super late replies on this. I'm just now ordering ramps, gonna give these a try:

https://www.amazon.com/PylePro-PCBLCO26-Cable-Protective-Cover/dp/B010FH1YJ8/

and then I will be using this as the starting point for building a stand/holder for the connector itself:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U4E97I/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll need to fabricate a base for it and some additional pieces to hold the connector and cable, and then of course paint it a more Tesla-appropriate color.

Would it be an option to run it overhead on padded hooks?

Gave serious thought to this but the issue is that I'll be parking nose-in so it'd need to be strung underneath the garage door tracks and so forth. Seemed like a lot more effort. Once Summon is active for the Model 3 I'll probably start backing in but will still be able to get to the charge port, so that might be worth the work at that point if the cable is long enough (and i've gotta do some measuring to see)

Here's what I ended up building. The current base is melamine, but once it inevitably gets wet and starts warping, I'll replace with acrylic.
Probably a redundant question at this point, but were you able to fit the cable in the drop cover channel without problems? I'm going for a similar approach (running the Wall Connector 24' cable across sidewalk to my parking spot), and I wanted to make sure the drop cover fits, before I buy it.

Great set up, btw! Thanks!

Probably a redundant question at this point, but were you able to fit the cable in the drop cover channel without problems? I'm going for a similar approach (running the Wall Connector 24' cable across sidewalk to my parking spot), and I wanted to make sure the drop cover fits, before I buy it.

Great set up, btw! Thanks!

Thanks! No problem whatsoever, it's a good, clean fit without drama.

• Helpful
Reactions: theishu
It's about 3/4" of an inch high. I'd round it to 1".

I measured the diameter of my 2018-19 Tesla Gen2 HP Wall Connector charging cable at 7/8". Same conclusion: go for a 1" diameter channel. That is pretty big and relatively rare in standard home/office cable protectors (not counting super heavy-duty industrial ones). I want a cable protector for foot-traffic, not to be driven over.

I am looking into one of these:
  • Checkers Rubber Duct RFD7-5 (5' long; 1" diameter channel; black) -- $70 on eBay (Zorotools is seller).

• ElectriDuct Rubber Duct D-300-100-5 (5' long; 1" diameter channel; black/brown) -- $85 on Amazon or ElectiDuct websites.

Reactions: Silence88
...ElectriDuct Rubber Duct D-300-100-5 (5' long; 1" diameter channel; black/brown) -- $85 on Amazon or ElectiDuct websites.

Followup: I went with the ElectriDuct product, because I could buy it in brown. Now, a year later, it is working well. For convenience I keep it attached to the charging cord (24' on Tesla Gen2 Wall Connector), hang the cord around the WC, and unravel the cord out to the parking space right in front of my house. The cord protector covers the cord where it crosses my walkway to the front door (to alleviate any tripping hazard if someone approaches the door).

The protector is big and heavy, lays out flat (even in our cool winters), and gives every sign of being rugged and lasting for quite awhile. The Checkers product is probably fine, also, if black is acceptable.

Reactions: FlatSix911