Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, lots of tech and less functionality in exchange for what exactly? Novelty and hype? If it ain't broke... And traditional air vents ain't broke.

The part that needed reinventing was the dirty ICE powertrain. Stick with that and stop trying to reinvent every wheel, which will shrink their potential customer base.
Well number one reason is reduction of fan noise according to the Jalopnik article, which is a problem even in the most expensive cars (made worse in an EV without the engine drone to drown it out). It also allows them to have the current minimalist design unbroken by traditional vents.

We'll see how it works out.

I already stepped out of line and cancelled. I was wrong. EM is really building a $35K econo-box and down selling the hell out of it. I'm used to upscale German marques. I'll wait for the I-Pace. It seems to be positioned as a more upscale offering.

I think you're going to be sorely disappointed in the price comparison with the Model 3, but thanks for moving me up a spot.

Well number one reason is reduction of fan noise according to the Jalopnik article, which is a problem even in the most expensive cars (made worse in an EV without the engine drone to drown it out). It also allows them to have the current minimalist design unbroken by traditional vents.

We'll see how it works out.
I personally can't imagine that a 6 ft 5 person gets in, and he can't get the air to stop blowing in his chest, or a 4 ft 8 person gets in, and the air is only aimed at her hair, but maybe they just forgot to check for that the last 15 months.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you posted here. But if you get in the car on a hot summer day and it's already cooled down, is there a need to point a stream of cold air at your face? When I walk into my air conditioned house after working in the yard, I don't go lay down on one of the air vents...

Just yesterday I got in to my cooled Tesla right from the gym and I still wanted to point stream of cool air to my face and chest as I was still sweating a bit :)
At that moment I literally thought that it is a pitty if I can't do this in a Model 3

Reactions: slipnslider
Like the M3 dash with the center screen, no need for all the lights buttons and switches, there just distractions, clutter and fluff.
Mounted an iPad in our Outback for a road trip. After 4 months and a 17K kilometres road trip it just works.

IMG_0260.JPG

Not sure how you get from a base price of $27,500 after tax credits to $50k when they go away.

8 extra tires?
FUD is an amazing thing. It can double the price of an item, it can leave you stranded in the middle of the night with a sick child (even if you don't have kids!), it can burn your house down, it can leave you penniless and destitute from repair costs, and all of this can happen without any extra design or manufacturing costs!

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I like the design, and it doesn't look like a weird mobile. I test drove a Prius with the center speedometer, and it's fine and the speed was actually more visible at all times because it was higher up than my Volt's dash screen behind the steering wheel and in my peripheral vision. The Model 3 screen looks like it's placed so the top of the screen is about even with the bottom of the windshield from the viewpoint of the driver, so it should be the same (but of course I won't know for sure until I sit in it myself). The key will be the UI. If it's done well and utilizes those balls/scroll wheels/whatever they are in the steering wheel properly, it could be better than fiddling with buttons. Changing radio stations and flipping through different information screens on my Volt infotainment screen is great and a little safer, imo, than doing so on my old Lexus with buttons because the infotainment screen is higher up and the road is in view for me at all times with my peripheral vision. A bad UI would make the whole thing a disaster, but I won't stress about it until I see it.

The single vent thing worries me a bit, because, as I've said before on this forum, I like directing air to my face and will be disappointed if I can't do so with the Model 3 vent. But if the new design reduces fan noise, then maybe a higher air speed will compensate, or maybe there will be a way to adjust the vent position anyway with the touch screen or a scroll wheel or just manually (I can't remember the last time I changed my vent positioning while driving, once I've set it I'm fine). I'll just have to wait to test drive it to make a decision.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
The screen mount is not final. Google Tesla Model X prototype. It was mounted the same way. Final will probably be flush in the dash.

Sure, there are lots of changes between a prototype and the production version. However, the pictures posted in this thread are from a Release Candidate, not from a prototype, and that is an entirely different kind of animal. They do not make design changes between release candidate and production version just for the fun of it. A release candidate is meant to be the exact same what is intended to be the production version. The only reason to make any change is if they find some critical problem, e.g. if the RC fails some safety tests.

Sure, there are lots of changes between a prototype and the production version. However, the pictures posted in this thread are from a Release Candidate, not from a prototype, and that is an entirely different kind of animal. They do not make design changes between release candidate and production version just for the fun of it. A release candidate is meant to be the exact same what is intended to be the production version. The only reason to make any change is if they find some critical problem, e.g. if the RC fails some safety tests.
Agree on this. Also even it you look at the X design back then, the only part not flush was the top. The rest was already flush, so it was trivial to make the rest flush with the dash.

This time the entire screen is much higher off from the dash and it must be in that position for it to work as an instrument cluster. Even during the Model 3 unveiling event in March last year, it was said the interior design was pretty much set. A few months later in July they had "pencils down". There's simply no way a flush dash will happen this late in the game.

Did Tesla build a weirdmobile? On the outside, not at all. On the inside, I would say yes. That happens when One Design Directive to Rule Them All is allowed to strip away information, detail, functionality and a space an actual human being might want to occupy. We'll have to see if that's really the case when an actual Model 3 shows up for me to sit in.
Robin

Last edited:
I have been following this thread and personally going back and forth with my opinion about what little we might know about the M3 interior. I am starting to give Tesla some more leeway at this point. Without a doubt, this interior will be unlike others. If you want conventional buttons and knobs and think that your vehicle interior requires this, I suspect that you will be disappointed. I am willing to hold judgment until the final release and I am trying to be open minded. I have convinced myself that maybe Tesla has done something cool here, but I am not sure yet. I will tell you that cleaning the dash looks much easier than on the busy interiors that we all accept as the norm today.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
I am sure this is not final. Lead Designers would not let that out the door. I work with studios that's considered the best in the entertainment industry. We work on special effects on almost all summer blockbusters movies. There were nights where we spent time adjusting some superheroes' joints by 2 degree here and there. Adjustment frames to get the perfect poses. Doing things where people won't notice but our art director won't let the animations go final. We even deliver the best for characters that'll be out of focus. What I am saying is I think Tesla is one of the best in their industry and they probably have the best designers that have the same mindset. Trust me, this is not final. I just don't see top level designers and legal approving this.

maxresdefault.jpg
Tesla-Model-X-Touchscreen-Display-CES-2015.jpg

I'm hopeful that Sperkin is correct in his theory of the final version having a mounted display similar to the S and X.

I had a google for the Model X RC and Alpha interiors and Sperkin is correct that there was a big change between the RC, Alpha and the final version. See above.