Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla skip the brake test to double the production for 2Q18?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This news item has a similar ring to another one that came last year on how Tesla doesn’t know welding. After two weeks of every outfit repeating that FUD ad-nauseam it just died down.

I am sick and tired of these exaggerations and half truths.
Exactly right. It's just another attempt to take something and spin it negative. This falls under the category of trying to instill fear in Tesla's customer base. Autopilot crashes, battery fires, welding concerns, brake problems, suspension problems, etc... It will be gone in a matter of days to weeks, and then they'll find something else to spin negative.

In the comments section on Electrek, the following was explained by various people.
(1) In an ICE car, the "roll and brake" test is the first time the engine is run; it tests the engine, the transmission, the emissions, and the brakes, as well as alignment.
(2) In an EV, the motors are already tested, there is no transmission, there are no emissions, and the car will get an alignment later in production. This renders most of the test redundant.
(3) Most ICE cars are NEVER road tested, making the "roll and brake" test the only test it ever gets. Tesla track-tests all their Model 3s, including braking tests.

Test seemed fully redundant to me as well as I've watched about 1000 cars go thru the test. The tech watches a screen outside the car on the brake and roll machine that tells them what speed to go and each wheel is on a roller. It reports frame and wheel alignment as well as wheel speed sensor checks and confirms braking performance. During the track test these items are done as well as, but the tech is the judge instead of the machine. If the car was out of alignment or brakes were having issues the tech would know as they drive about 200 during a shift.

Test seemed fully redundant to me as well as I've watched about 1000 cars go thru the test. The tech watches a screen outside the car on the brake and roll machine that tells them what speed to go and each wheel is on a roller. It reports frame and wheel alignment as well as wheel speed sensor checks and confirms braking performance. During the track test these items are done as well as, but the tech is the judge instead of the machine. If the car was out of alignment or brakes were having issues the tech would know as they drive about 200 during a shift.

A person would not be able to tell if one wheel is not braking correctly or if the alignment is correct in all aspects. You need a machine to do this.

I think the worst thing about this was that they somehow let it be communicated as the “brake” and roll test. It’s really not significant from a safety standpoint but after the June fiasco with the car braking distance being called into,question anything about maybe not being able to brake reliably could be concerning for some.

It also comes off sounding like they were willing to cut corners just to meet some artificially imposed production milestone which is the last thing anyone wants to hear.

News Flash...GM and Ford still churning out millions of gasoline powered vehicle when most scientists and settled science shows that they pollute terribly and contribute to global warming, in addition to emminent sea risings that can put all the worlds cities by the sea in danger of massive flooding.

While the technoloby is currently available to Electrify those polluting vehicles, still they continue in the old, dangerous ways.

"See what I did here"

Breaking News: Elon instructed Tesla engineers to leave out engines and fuel tanks! Beware! Time to sell your TSLA shares!

It would be kinda fun if Tesla expanded their phone charger line to include a few retro items. Spark plug, EGR valve, catalytic converter... Bet they could fit a few 18650s into a Holley carburetor and turn it into quite the desk USB hub. So glad I'll never have to rebuild another one of those or make space in the garage that I don't have for all manner of spare ICE parts.

Ideally when the institutional buyers get back from vacation next week, and some analyst or another gets around to issuing a buy rating, then the share price will ascend a tad.

A person would not be able to tell if one wheel is not braking correctly or if the alignment is correct in all aspects. You need a machine to do this.
Good thing the driver isn't doing it then...

Edit: per the links provided above...

They burnish the brakes then do a hard stop. The ABS activation at each wheel is proof of 4 functional brakes.
They later do a coast down test which detects alignment or other drag issues the test driver didn't.

Sorry neroden... some people see Bruce Willis

• Funny
Reactions: Boomer19