TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Differences between 90D and 100D?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Dana1, May 20, 2018.

1. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Hello,

I’m researching new and 2017 preowned to decide which option is right for me. Are there significant differences between 90D and 100D? Any options or things to look for or look out for?

Another post mentioned finding an OA for inventory search...how do I find this person(s)?

Guidance is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dana

2. Utahken

Utahken Member

3. prash

prash Member

No difference between 90D and 100D other than the obvious range. New vehicles also have new MCU and vanity mirrors.

4. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

Interesting, I'm finding the location listings on that website vastly different than those on Tesla's site for the same vehichle?

For example:
    Inventory Search | Tesla

This model is listed by Tesla as being Florida, on that website you posted its listed as being in Nashville. Is Tesla just lying?

5. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Wow, significantly different than what’s on their website. Thank you for sharing.

6. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

I’m in Texas and have had vehicles with sloping front windows where I feel like I’m in an easy bake oven. Any comments on the all glass panoramic roofs over time?

7. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

90D 0-60 is 4.4 seconds.
    100D 0-60 is 3.6 seconds (officially 4.3 online but numerous reviews of mid 3 second times achieved.

90D batteries seem to degrade faster as opposed to 100D.

90D may still have the alcatera dash.
    90D won’t have vanity mirror lights

8. Shateam

Shateam Member

Be sure to do your homework on the 90D batteries (especially the early builds with respect to pack capacity, degradation etc.).

You'll find some very useful info here in the forum.

9. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

No problems with the sunroof in Arizona- I have more issues with the sun when it comes through the windshield I wish I could tint it but it's not legal to tint more than the top few inches in Arizona.

I have no additional tint on the sunroof but I do have the side windows tinted with Photosync window tinting

10. prash

prash Member

2017 90D do not have degradation issues unlike the early builds.
    0 to 60times: 90D 4.4sec and 100D 4.1sec. I barely see any difference while driving.

11. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Some 100D models have alcantera headliner.

Early 100D won't have the lighted vanity mirrors or as mentioned, the new MCU2.

Any car made after June 2017 has the new DU00 drive unit. Although little is known about these, they may have the new SiC inverter or other reliability and performance headroom improvements.

12. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

You can stop by a Tesla store and let them know you are interested and someone should be "attached" to you once you make clear you are on the market to buy a car. Let them know you heard about new inventory cars and want to know some options.

The other way is to go to a site like https://www.teslainventory.com/ and there you can search for new inventory cars. Once you find one, you can go through the buying process online.

13. roblab

roblab Active Member

I doubt Texas is much different that southern California, other than spelling and we don't have the humidity to get rid of. I have owned Model S (now have 90D) for going on six years and have never ever noticed any oven effects from the all glass roof. The roof is tinted against 99% of infrared. What lets in the heat is the windshield. Model S is similar to most other vehicles in that when it sits in the sun it gets hot inside. Roll down the windows and let the heat out. Turn on the AC. Totally comfy.

14. Stratusbill

Stratusbill Member

Get the 100D. When supercharging it will make a big difference in getting to, say, an 80% charge quickly. The biggest advantage of a 100 is when charging, it greatly slows down as you approach 100%. The bigger the bat, the quicker you can charge to a less than full amount.

15. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Thank you for everyone’s experiences...it’s really helpful for such a large purchase.

16. CameronB

CameronB Member

Not to derail the post, but you might want to take a look at Llumar Air series tint. Works great for windshields. I have it and it’s basically undetectable visually as it is essentially colorless. Yet reduces heat and UV.

Air Clear Window Tint Series | LLumar

17. Navsarin

Oh good to know!
    The 100D is infact 3.5/3.6 based on numerous powertool tests. Tesla won’t advertise it as such to prevent cannibilizing P100 sales lol. If everyone saw a mid 3 second 100D...many wouldn’t justify the added $ for the P and less range.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

This car is in West Palm Beach, Florida.

19. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Personally I would custom order over inventory just to get the graphite interior. But I realize some don't care or prefer the old silver

• Like x 1
  20. Navsarin

I guess one could have the interior trim wrapped in graphite for much less and save thousands? Lol