Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different beta branches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received 11.3.6 this week and am super exited to finally be able to try out and help improve FSD beta. I was curious though, why is Tesla rolling out updates with 11.3.6 when there are a number of testers running 11.4 variants? Are they actually still gathering data and feedback from older versions of FSD or what? Just trying to understand the logic of rolling out older versions at the same time as new versions.

There is no logic that we are aware of in the way tesla updates their vehicles. There is endless, baseless speculation, but no one who knows will say, and without that, any discussion like this is no different than "why didnt I get the latest update" (which has been repeated ad nauseum here).

Reactions: m5james
Probably there will be more branches in the future: FSD branch for HW3, FSD branch for HW4, FSD branch for cybertruck, FSD branch for new model 3, the firmware branches with different firmware and UIs (for example right now the branch that supports large text is not available with FSD 11.4.4).

why is Tesla rolling out updates with 11.3.6 when there are a number of testers running 11.4 variants?
Tesla apparently wanted to include a version of FSD beta into the mainstream release so that owners could subscribe to FSD and experience FSD beta. At the time they made that decision, FSD beta version 11.3.6 was the software that had most recently "gone wide", so they included that.

When Tesla thinks that it's worth the effort (and assuming 11.4 is considered better than 11.3.6), they'll take 11.4 and make that the version that goes with the mainstream build - and they'll be working on 11.5 or 11.6 by then, but the development version won't have "gone wide".

Why Tesla wanted to make FSD beta available to subscribers is something that only Tesla can explain. Perhaps it is to drum up more purchases. Perhaps it is to placate regulators about something. Perhaps they're testing integration of FSD beta with the mainstream development path. Perhaps something else entirely.

Tesla apparently wanted to include a version of FSD beta into the mainstream release so that owners could subscribe to FSD and experience FSD beta. At the time they made that decision, FSD beta version 11.3.6 was the software that had most recently "gone wide", so they included that.

When Tesla thinks that it's worth the effort (and assuming 11.4 is considered better than 11.3.6), they'll take 11.4 and make that the version that goes with the mainstream build - and they'll be working on 11.5 or 11.6 by then, but the development version won't have "gone wide".

Why Tesla wanted to make FSD beta available to subscribers is something that only Tesla can explain. Perhaps it is to drum up more purchases. Perhaps it is to placate regulators about something. Perhaps they're testing integration of FSD beta with the mainstream development path. Perhaps something else entirely.
I think Tesla added 11.3.6 to the main branch so that FSD owners/subscribers could get FSDb without needing to know to hold off on updates until FSDb versions pass up the version on their cars. Since Tesla does not downgrade software, it's difficult for the average user to get FSDb.

Whether these users can jump to the development branch remains to be seen. The development branch has not yet caught up to the point where 11.3.6 was added to the main branch. It would seem that Tesla should pause updates for these users until they can be moved to the development branch.

Reactions: JB47394
  • FSD Beta 11.3.6 is the known stable aka: Beta of the Beta and given to newer users.
  • FSD Beta 11.4.x is the newest and least tested aka: Alpha of the Beta and giving to long time testers.
That does make sense, I’m quite impressed with 11.3.6, it’s not perfect but I’ve able to consistently use it to and from work with no interventions or poor behavior. Makes sense that would be the wide roll out one

Looking at TeslaFi, 92% of people installing 2023.20.7 which is the latest FSDb release with 11.3.6 are coming from 2023.20.4.1 which is the current non-beta release. So yeah, that release is for people that are signing up to beta now and are already too far ahead on the main release to be able to get 2023.7.20 with beta 11.4.4

Looks like as of right now there are mainly 2 branches of FSDb, 11.3.6 (2023.20.7 mainstream?) and 11.4.4 (2023.7.20 original beta testers?).
This graph from TeslaFi shows the numbers.

fsdbranches.png