Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone get gap insurance? My insurance that I have for home and auto says "We can only add GAP within the first 14 days of purchase."

Surely there are other insurance companies willing to provide gap insurance 14 days after purchase ( I took delivery in Nov 2022).

Is there any issue having gap insurance through a different insurance company as your primary auto insurance? I do like my current provider but wish they would give me gap...

I'm not sure that's true
It is and the text has been posted a few times.

Was a pita digging thru the thread...

the retail price of such automobile suggested by the manufacturer;

(2)
the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to such dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to paragraph (1);

Last edited:
Anyone get gap insurance? My insurance that I have for home and auto says "We can only add GAP within the first 14 days of purchase."

Surely there are other insurance companies willing to provide gap insurance 14 days after purchase ( I took delivery in Nov 2022).

Is there any issue having gap insurance through a different insurance company as your primary auto insurance? I do like my current provider but wish they would give me gap...
USAA offers Total Purchase Protection coverage which bumps up the value of the vehicle by 20% should you happen to total it. $16 a month for me. I signed up right away once I found out that the car was devalued 20% overnight.

Reactions: DrGriz
Can anyone confirm if the destination fee is included in the MSRP used to calculate if you qualify for the $7500 credit? If you price an MY long range and add white seats the total is over $55,000 with the destination fee but under $55,000 without the fee. Thank you in advance

I'm not sure that's true
Here is a screen shot from the Model Y order page:

fsd-excluded.png

I’m curious how many people who bought in the last year at the higher price are conveniently forgetting the over inflated trade-in/sale price they got of the vehicle their Y replaced. While I’m sure it doesn’t amount to $13k it should soften the blow…
Not only that, but don't forget about lower interest rates as well. I snagged 3.65% when I purchased in December 2022.

Can anyone confirm if the destination fee is included in the MSRP used to calculate if you qualify for the $7500 credit? If you price an MY long range and add white seats the total is over $55,000 with the destination fee but under $55,000 without the fee. Thank you in advance

Destination fees are not included. You can add two $1K options to the LR MY and still get the tax credit. IMO that is why Tesla set the price to just under $53K.

MSRP is the retail price of the automobile suggested by the manufacturer, including options, accessories and trim but excluding destination fees. It isn't necessarily the price you pay.

Destination fees are not included. You can add two $1K options to the LR MY and still get the tax credit. IMO that is why Tesla set the price to just under $53K.

MSRP is the retail price of the automobile suggested by the manufacturer, including options, accessories and trim but excluding destination fees. It isn't necessarily the price you pay.
Thank you! I just ordered a MY LR.

uh no, thats a bad comparison, dealer markups are dealer marksups, ford/hyndai/etc didn't tell them to mark it up the dealerships did it themselves.

How is it a bad comparison? Vehicle transaction price is vehicle transaction price. Whether its goes to the dealer or the OEM is irrelevant to you as the consumer, and that's ignoring the fact that Ford/Hyundai/VW did raise MSRPs as well.

Reactions: Ray_R and DrGriz
Demand tanked because Elon pandered to the MAGAs who'd never dare be seen in an EV - which ticked off the BLUES who were his target customer base- not happy about the price decrease, but gotta admit- Elon brought it on.
I’m pretty sure that’s not the reason. Inflation, price of car, impending competition is more likely than what you’re suggesting.

I got gap through my credit union when I financed my Tesla on 12/29.

Where do you live? In CA you might have 2 days to return it. Not sure if this is case by case or applies to all new vehicle purchases: Is there a Grace Period to Return a New Car in CA? - Lemon Law Now

Don’t drive over 250mi if you want to try this!
I wish people would stop pushing this myth (was mentioned in another thread). There is no general grace period for new car sales in California. The 2 day grace period that article references only applies if you purchase that option on a used car sales contract.
Car Buyer's Bill of Rights - California DMV

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
Sure.. but nothing, not even offerings from the German brands will be as technologically advanced or a better value. Let’s not even get into the range.. the German and Asian competitors of the Plaid cars can’t even touch the high range. My friend’s new E-Tron GT RS can barely get 200 miles real world range on a full charge.
Lucid already has a car that has range that exceeds Tesla. Charging network, not so much....