Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it was worth $66k, maybe it's not - but flipping the price on your customers like this is something no other company would do and expect to have any good will left.
Yeah, Tesla is definitely the only company with big price changes in the past year. 👍🏻

I’m with you - let’s avoid all companies that change prices based on market conditions. Don’t they know how to treat their customers? They should have let all those fantastically overpriced cars sit unsold so as to not hurt the feels of people who already bought and were satisfied with the deal when they signed the paperwork.

Reactions: Yelobird
No dealership lets you pay for an entire car on a credit card. It’s not just a Tesla thing. They get charged anywhere from 2-5% of the cost swiped by the credit card company. On a $70k purchase, that’s a lot of lost revenue for the company.

You’re dropping $80k on home theater equipment, you’re the last one who should be whining about a $13k price drop on a car?
I was just giving an example of something I have access to when buying other expensive products from companies that sell direct and online. And fun the record, I'd gladly pay 1-3% more to cover the credit card merchant fees, if I get access to the protections that would have helped me in this very scenario, not to mention the points.

The whole points is that Tesla _isn't_ like other car companies, and yet 30 days after my purchase, I'm left with the same bitter taste in my mouth.

When I'm ready for my next EV, I'm much much more likely to look to the other luxury brands than to be a return customer.

See below
We will have to disagree then.

I remember when the X sold for $120K in 2017 only to see its price bottom out out at $80K a couple years later. Tesla rides the demand curve pretty aggressively, which yields some annoying swings. Back when they offered buy outs, leasing the car was one way to minimize the downside. It will be interesting to see if Tesla offers buy outs after all on its leases. I assume that all those leases have residual values that are way above market value.

That IS the Tesla buying experience. The price can raise by a few thousand if you miss it by a day. The price can drop a few thousand literally one day after you take delivery (that is what happened to people when they did that other recent drop). The difference is that the price is set nationwide, not by your ability to negotiate with a given dealer. So if the car was worth the price to you at the time of delivery, you know you are paying the same price as others taking the delivery that day.

I guess the thing now is buyers will have to know how much a Tesla is actually "worth" paying for and track prices. Sorta like watching prices on amazon or camel x3. Forum and news is going to be lit the next few days with this change.

For the record, Amazon doesn't price match neither. Guess you can return stuff though there.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and if this is seen as a positive buying experience when it swings the other way. We all know the dealership horror stories, but prices don't tend to swing that much due to cost to make the vehicles and Tesla's were probably never worth how much they charged for them (why they had such high profits).

Reactions: ord3r
Yeah, Tesla is definitely the only company with big price changes in the past year. 👍🏻

I’m with you - let’s avoid all companies that change prices based on market conditions. Don’t they know how to treat their customers? They should have let all those fantastically overpriced cars sit unsold so as to not hurt the feels of people who already bought and were satisfied with the deal when they signed the paperwork.

They can definitely do whatever they want but so can I and I chose the Tesla Model Y over the Ford mach e partly because of the perceived better buying experience. Additionally, I wasn't originally planning on taking delivery until January but they were definitely aggressive in pushing December including making it seem like it would be hard to get the same car in the new year.

Maybe you will continue to buy Tesla since your head is up Elon's butt but I think they will lose a lot of customers over their horrible customer service and anti-customer practices. There's more competition and buyers with the disposable income to pay $65k for a Model Y will buy from other car companies with better products and treat their customers better in the future.

I’m legit amazed by the number of people that react so poorly to transparent pricing changes when it happens to not work in their favor.

How many of you have been here for the past two years super stoked that the order you locked in pre price increase entitled you to a better deal than the schmuck who bought later? How is it any different when the trend reverses?

Not different, but it may have far wider consequences with how much the drop was and all studies show people losing $$ is a far bigger negative mental impact than earning/making $$.

I agreed with some of the other posts to a point that maybe a diff version can be done to get the tax credit to preserve brand value/image/worth/etc, but my guess is Elon felt there was no way people were going to keep paying $68k for a MY in the current environment. It was overpriced and he had to do something.

The stock movement tomorrow will be interesting since this may have a big impact on their profits/revenues and CLEARLY, demand in the US.

Seems to me that Tesla has now decided to be the value leader. They have worked out manufacturing efficiencies better than the rest, they got some of the best tech and the best fast charging experience. At current prices, it's by far the best value for 3/Y. While I feel bad for folks who bought a few weeks ago, my guess is that Tesla will do great.

Why do they stop qualifying in March?
Right now is something of a transition period for the IRA credits after the Treasury delayed guidance on the material sourcing requirements that were supposed to be clarified by the end of 2022, now it’s slated for March. So vehicles currently quality for the full $7500 just by being assembled domestically and fitting under the MSRP limits.

We don’t know yet what exactly the incentives will look like after March but likely most vehicles produced will qualify for $3,750 at best. I personally doubt a high number of vehicles can be produced right now that will satisfy the mineral requirements to garner the full credit after that comes into effect.

Reactions: house9
The 66k price was designed to stop people from ordering amidst production delays.
Now that production levels are at all time high and consumer demand is tanking, the car has gone back to its normal pricing.
I wasn’t smart enough to wait for pricing levels to go back to early 2021, but I bought a car at a price I could afford with the features I was well informed of. This was the best I could do.
I mentioned similar thoughts too on that buyer remorse thread when they did the recent $3750 or $7500 price drop. Basically people did their best decision with the known information at the time. No point in going back and regretting things, when you can just enjoy the car. For me personally, I took delivery of a M3 SR+ on the last day of 2020, and literally a week later Tesla comes out with the MY SR, which was really the car I wanted. I learned to just enjoy driving the car (which I do).

Last edited: