Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The very first sentence answered your question. Go back and read it. If you can't comprehend perfect english that's on you.

Oh please. Emotional? Not 1 emotional word in any of my posts. The fact that you've even brought that up is a perfect example of someone not being able to have an educated discussion so they bring up 'emotion' to try and diminish the other's position without providing any substance themselves.

If Tesla needs me to figure out their pricing structure they can pay me.

So all the business that was done in the 20 centuries prior is now null and void. That's some sort of Trump University nonsense.

This price cut doesn't effect me at all. My company (me) pays for my car and I'll just write off the depreciation on my company's taxes. So in the end Tesla screwed their customers twice seeing as now taxpayers will pay for my depreciation as well.
30 years in business results in me being able to turn any bad situation to my benefit.

And the "what about-ism" is pure Faux News. You can't justify their actions with reasoning so you're trying to justify them by throwing others under the bus. Wrong is wrong regardless if it's being done by anyone else.

#justanotherfanboi
wow - anyone that reads this can see your blood boiling, man. You might be the most emotional Canadian I've ever conversed with.

You say they did it wrong, and it's obvious ("Business 101") how they should have done it, but when called on this claim, you offer nothing. Whinging is the word that comes to mind.

I've never been under the delusion that Elon, or Tesla, is a company out to save the world. It's a business, and he is capitalist with Trumpian level personality disorder and morals. That will certainly lead some to buy from any competitor that puts up a decent choice. In 2022, that option was nearly non existent, and it's still poor in 2023. It still looks like real competition is a year away. Until then, Tesla can pretty much do anything it wants to. Before, that meant raising prices. But you're upset now that it means lowering them. Funny stuff.

Reactions: msm859
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this club so I’m still trying to get a feel of things, thought I’d try out posting something. I bought my new Tesla Y 1 week before Tesla price dropped. I ordered through their inventory so when I placed the order everything came super fast. I got approved the next day, and 2 days later I was set up for delivery. Pretty amazing huh! And so I thought, I feel totally robbed when 1 week later I hear the price dropped of the Tesla I bought and the Tesla tax credit rebate which $7500, not only did I missed out on the rebate but I also bought the car a week early so missed out on that $13k price dropped as well. I feel even more cheated when my son made his Tesla purchased 2 weeks before the announcement. It’s one thing that I get robbed but another when it’s your child feeling the burn/pain. I always talked about how Tesla is an amazing car so I got 4 other family members to buy Tesla, but with my son and I recent purchased, I’m re thinking that statement. I’m usually a positive person but I can’t shake off this feeling that I got robbed of $21500 due to this early purchased. Why do I feel this why? Does anyone? And can something be done? Thanks for hearing me out.

Reactions: Depwraith
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this club so I’m still trying to get a feel of things, thought I’d try out posting something. I bought my new Tesla Y 1 week before Tesla price dropped. I ordered through their inventory so when I placed the order everything came super fast. I got approved the next day, and 2 days later I was set up for delivery. Pretty amazing huh! And so I thought, I feel totally robbed when 1 week later I hear the price dropped of the Tesla I bought and the Tesla tax credit rebate which $7500, not only did I missed out on the rebate but I also bought the car a week early so missed out on that $13k price dropped as well. I feel even more cheated when my son made his Tesla purchased 2 weeks before the announcement. It’s one thing that I get robbed but another when it’s your child feeling the burn/pain. I always talked about how Tesla is an amazing car so I got 4 other family members to buy Tesla, but with my son and I recent purchased, I’m re thinking that statement. I’m usually a positive person but I can’t shake off this feeling that I got robbed of $21500 due to this early purchased. Why do I feel this why? Does anyone? And can something be done? Thanks for hearing me out.
You weren't robbed. You both bought it at a price you were happy with. And I can say that, as I'm in almost the same boat - I got mine December 31st, so some incentives, but still a lot higher than today. There's nothing we can do, but let it go. Again - we were very happy with our purchase at the time. We have the same great car, but now others are able to buy it for less. Lucky for them. We'll benefit indirectly. More EVs, will mean more charging stations, more people who can service them, etc. You have to let it go.

You got yours for $7,500 less and 10,000 miles of supercharger credit. That isn't "some incentives," lol. He got nothing whatsoever. So I would argue you are not in the "same boat" or even close to the same boat.
You are right, he's not in the same boat. He's in the boat of reasonable pragmatic people who understand what they can control and where to spend their energies. Fortunately the boat is big and can accommodate as many people as want to board.

Reactions: sdq_11
I currently have an Ioniq 5 AWD Ultimate, and have also owned a TM3. In Canada, I would only consider something that is AWD for where I personally live. For a difference of roughly 10K that the I5 AWD Ultimate was at the time with govt incentives vs the cost of the TM3 SR+, It was a no brainer for me to switch to the I5.

Now that the prices of the Y's have come down significantly, and my 6 month old I5 is going used for what I paid it new, I am really considering changing to the Y. So much so that I put a deposit on a Y LR.

Few points I am considering:

-1st year 1st Gen of the I5. How well will it age if I keep it for 3-5 years?
-Will the I5 depreciate faster than the MY or vice versa?
-In my experience, cars selling over MSRP doesn't last. Tesla's are way more readily available and we know what the prices are like. If availability of the I5 improves significantly over 2-3 years, will the used prices drop dramatically?
-Tesla's seem to get way more updates and improvements over time. I5 updates are terrible and the whole system is way behind.
-I5 may have better fit and finish.
-MY is more fun to drive.
-I've had the rear hatch issue where my bump stops need to be replaced, and the plastic side pieces make a sound when going over bumps. I've made adjustments but there is a known service bulletin. Going to dealer, there is an obvious lack of inexperience for the techs. Myself reading forums is more educated on how to fix the issues than the service department. The service is sub par.
-Tesla may have issues, but they are known issues. There any many cars on the road with hundreds of thousands of miles. Some have quite a few years on them. I5 issues will only become more and more known over time.
-I like this size of I5, easy to park in a garage.
-MY has way more trunk space. The I5 trunk and frunk are both pretty small in comparison.
-Suspension preference is subjective. 2023 Y suspension is however improved over the older ones.
-Loss of HUD, Ventilated seats.

It will cost me a total difference of 14k to trade up (if you see it that way) from the I5 AWD Ultimate to a MY LR with nice options.

Any one else have some advice on this? Really torn in making this decision.

I currently have an Ioniq 5 AWD Ultimate, and have also owned a TM3. In Canada, I would only consider something that is AWD for where I personally live. For a difference of roughly 10K that the I5 AWD Ultimate was at the time with govt incentives vs the cost of the TM3 SR+, It was a no brainer for me to switch to the I5.

Now that the prices of the Y's have come down significantly, and my 6 month old I5 is going used for what I paid it new, I am really considering changing to the Y. So much so that I put a deposit on a Y LR.

Few points I am considering:

-1st year 1st Gen of the I5. How well will it age if I keep it for 3-5 years?
-Will the I5 depreciate faster than the MY or vice versa?
-In my experience, cars selling over MSRP doesn't last. Tesla's are way more readily available and we know what the prices are like. If availability of the I5 improves significantly over 2-3 years, will the used prices drop dramatically?
-Tesla's seem to get way more updates and improvements over time. I5 updates are terrible and the whole system is way behind.
-I5 may have better fit and finish.
-MY is more fun to drive.
-I've had the rear hatch issue where my bump stops need to be replaced, and the plastic side pieces make a sound when going over bumps. I've made adjustments but there is a known service bulletin. Going to dealer, there is an obvious lack of inexperience for the techs. Myself reading forums is more educated on how to fix the issues than the service department. The service is sub par.
-Tesla may have issues, but they are known issues. There any many cars on the road with hundreds of thousands of miles. Some have quite a few years on them. I5 issues will only become more and more known over time.
-I like this size of I5, easy to park in a garage.
-MY has way more trunk space. The I5 trunk and frunk are both pretty small in comparison.
-Suspension preference is subjective. 2023 Y suspension is however improved over the older ones.
-Loss of HUD, Ventilated seats.

It will cost me a total difference of 14k to trade up (if you see it that way) from the I5 AWD Ultimate to a MY LR with nice options.

Any one else have some advice on this? Really torn in making this decision.

As you note yourself, the window of opportunity to sell for MSRP is likely to be short and close abruptly. I had the same notion of changing my YP for a Rivian R1S for 12k. That was likely true in the summer. It's not true now. I still have the placeholder order in, and the tax credit [likely] preserved, but it may end up going to some friend of family member.

wow, this topic got heated pretty quick. I think I lot of people feel cheated. Those who took deliveries in November felt cheated when in December, there was a $3750 credit, those who took delivery before Dec 15 felt cheated when Tesla raised the credit to $7500 and $1000 worth of supercharging, then those people who took delivery before the price reduction felt cheated as well....see where I'm going with this? I'm not pro Tesla, not a fan boy....do I love my Model Y? heck yeah, do I drive it like a bandit when I can...you bet; but do I follow Elon on Twitter and consider him as the ruler of EV's - nope, not at all. Was I happy after hearing that I'm getting a $3750 credit (ordered in March when prices was still $62,990) making my total price before option $59240 "HELL YES" because now I can add the EAP at the future date. But did I feel cheated and felt stupid when the 2 changes after my delivery happened ($7500 credit w/ $1000 supercharging and the January price reduction), why yes of course. But regardless of how I feel, I have to accept the fact that I lost $10k in the value of my car but I have no plans of selling it anytime soon. I love Tesla products (regardless of the build quality that others complain of - Tesla is not the only one with this, legacy automakers may have less flaws but they have flaws nonetheless.) but it doesn't mean I have to like the person running it. I have to live with my car whether or not I was the lucky buyer. It is what it is. If Elon decides that he will give back some credit or supercharging miles to those people who took delivery in December or November, I will happily accept it, if not well I'll shrug my shoulder and go about my day. I'll place my attention someplace else.

Maybe they could reinstate the STEALTH Performance Model Y and then offer the Performance Upgrade Package aka PUP for folks who want that. Bring in the STEALTH at $54,995 and make the PUP a $3K option. Just a thought. But it probably depends on what the other manufacturers do, if they can offer a CUV model as fast as the PMY for less than $55K Tesla might have to reconsider. Personally, I always thought the STEALTH models were genius.

In fact, I made one after buying a 2022 Performance Y. I dumped the 21" UT tires/wheels for some 18s from TSportline and created a better daily driver. I could easily live without the spoiler, red calipers, aluminum pedals, and suspension tweaks.
howQI9U.jpg

Reactions: house9 and GSP
LR with Accel Boost is an alternative. You can upgrade the brakes after purchase. There are some aftermarket brake kits that are better than Tesla’s performance brakes.

If Track Mode is a must for you, I think it is possible that Tesla will lower MYP MSRP to $55k, but only after Model Y production exceeds demand. That could take a few years.

Another possibility is that the IRS will change their guidance on what cars are SUVs, allowing MSRP up to $80k to get the tax credit. GM and other automakers are pushing hard for this. Might be worth waiting for.

Yet another possibility is to get the tax credit by leasing the vehicle from a company that passes the tax credit on to you in the lease price. Some other TMC posters have looked into Tesla’s leasing and determined that Tesla passes about half the savings on to the customer. If this is not enough, or you want the option to buy at lease end, then maybe a third party leasing company will offer a better option.

GSP