Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In what state are you getting full PPF for $2k? Places I've called/most forums say between $4500-$6500 for full PPF (Xpel and 3M).
Colorado
You can’t get xpel full PPF wrap for $2k in the SF Bay Area. I’ve been quoted, for Xpel / stek , front only $2k and full car between $4k - $8k. It’s crazy here in SF. You might be able to get it cheaper for cheaper material.
Guys. Plz plz plz do your market research before paying anyone that much money. I found my guy through Xpel's website. Go to this link:
Paint Protection Film Installer Near Me | XPEL Certified Installer Network | Find XPEL PPF - ULTIMATE PLUS, STEALTH, INTERIOR PROTECTION & More!

Filter for your city and you will plenty of installers who install Xpel PPFs. Call them up and discuss with them. I am getting Xpel 18" PPF for partial front (full front bumper, half hood), side mirrors and rockers (both sides from front bumper to the rear bumper) done for $600. If you are lazy and just call the more famous shops, they will charge you $1000 for this. I can't insist enough DO YOUR RESEARCH.

P.S: I would never spend anything more than $600 on PPF. I am getting the PPF mentioned above and then doing ceramic coating myself and this all would cost me in total of $800. Any spending more then $1000 on exterior protection is not financially advisable, not for me at least. If I had to spend more than that, I would rather get the car re-painted.

Last edited:
I’m having a hard time finding that where I am. In Mass. most are well over 4K. Lowest I found for only ceramic coating was $1,500.

Thinking of doing ceramic myself. Been watching videos on it for the last 3 years.
I am doing the Cquartz Pro coating topped with Sio2 (for more gloss and beading) myself. All the material including iron/tar remover, clay remover and reload cost me $200. Highly encourage you to do it yourself instead of giving someone else north of $1000.

you can get the complete car covered with PPF for $2k. The front is usually $600-700. If someone is asking you $2k for just the front PPF, you are being ripped off.
you either have a really great friend with a shop, or your shop is running like the Michael Scott Paper company...at a loss and hoping to be saved by a competitor buying them out before they have to declare bankruptcy

my quote from a reputable shop with great prices was $2k for front bumper, frunk, side mirrors, and rocker panels

you either have a really great friend with a shop, or your shop is running like the Michael Scott Paper company...at a loss and hoping to be saved by a competitor buying them out before they have to declare bankruptcy

my quote from a reputable shop with great prices was $2k for front bumper, frunk, side mirrors, and rocker panels
I am in NJ too. How much ppf quote you got? I got 3.5k just for front ppf.
Please refer to my previous comment.

Colorado

Guys. Plz plz plz do your market research before paying anyone that much money. I found my guy through Xpel's website. Go to this link:
Paint Protection Film Installer Near Me | XPEL Certified Installer Network | Find XPEL PPF - ULTIMATE PLUS, STEALTH, INTERIOR PROTECTION & More!

Filter for your city and you will plenty of installers who install Xpel PPFs. Call them up and discuss with them. I am getting Xpel 18" PPF for partial front (full front bumper, half hood), side mirrors and rockers (both sides from front bumper to the rear bumper) done for $600. If you are lazy and just call the more famous shops, they will charge you $1000 for this. I can't insist enough DO YOUR RESEARCH.

P.S: I would never spend anything more than $600 on PPF. I am getting the PPF mentioned above and then doing ceramic coating myself and this all would cost me in total of $800. Any spending more then $1000 on exterior protection is not financially advisable, not for me at least. If I had to spend more than that, I would rather get the car re-painted.
Thanks. I actually called the 3 installers that were listed on the xpel website as certified installers and their prices are as I listed. I think the large price difference is because of the huge cost of living differences between regions. The labor costs here in CA are crazy.

Reactions: Sohaib89
Thanks. I actually called the 3 installers that were listed on the xpel website as certified installers and their prices are as I listed. I think the large price difference is because of the huge cost of living differences between regions. The labor costs here in CA are crazy.
Then I would suggest to install the PPF yourself. There are plenty of good DIY kits out there. I did my research on them too but then found this installer at good price so I thought I would rather get it done from them. Let me know if you want more info on DIY kits and I can share the links with you.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
Small update
OD 1/13
DD 1/20. Rejected due to bad clearcoat through entire car
New DD 2/6
Build Date 1/22
Checked out car today in lot and looks good on outside. I cannot believe how many 3’s and Y’s there are on the lot in Devon PA.

Requested they do NOT wash vehicle for delivery as my PPF guy will handle that, because they usually do a poor job at SC.

Attachments

• 0734CCF1-3BD9-46B9-B93C-186EDDAC5894.jpeg
    0734CCF1-3BD9-46B9-B93C-186EDDAC5894.jpeg
    538.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 4380CCF7-44F5-4DAB-8C1C-8E070554C7E7.jpeg
    4380CCF7-44F5-4DAB-8C1C-8E070554C7E7.jpeg
    905.4 KB · Views: 78
Yesterday I swung by my local center and it was jam-packed. Cars in almost every space and double-parked in the aisles, plus the overflow lot (down the street) was mostly full. Every car I checked looked in great shape. As I focused on white seat cars, they all were Freemont builds of PF663xxx with one performance at PF665xxx. All had matrix lights. Looking forward to mine arriving any day now (my EDD is 2/8-2/17).
My EDD and service center are both exactly what yours are. I ordered an MYLR Red/Black 19" all else standard on 1/13. You've been through this before. I have a bank check for half and I was planning on paying the balance through the Tesla Plaid app at delivery. Do you forsee any problems with that? My financial advisor (aka wife) seems to think that this may delay delivery. I have already texted my SA at the 508 number but they only seem to respond to me when they want something.

Update: My SA did respond back to the text (fastest ever 17 minutes, must be because its about being paid).

Last edited:
Then I would suggest to install the PPF yourself. There are plenty of good DIY kits out there. I did my research on them too but then found this installer at good price so I thought I would rather get it done from them. Let me know if you want more info on DIY kits and I can share the links with you.
Thanks. I’ve installed xpel on the front half of my Honda pilot with a diy kit before and it was fun but tough to get things lined up perfectly. It was a kit so the edges aren’t wrapping the panels so you can see the edges. I’ve got a white MY on order so I want wrapped edges this time so you can’t see the dirty edges on a white car.

Reactions: Sohaib89
Got VIN on 1/27 with EDD of 2/8 - 2/14.
Just got updated EDD of 2/16-2/23 :(
Got info on Friday that expected arrival at SC was 2/4.
Any ideas on why this is taking so long? I have texted with SA with no response yet. Going to try calling I guess....
Well mystery solved. Waiting for 90 mins to talk to someone and told vehicle still sitting in Austin. Said I would get another text once it has gotten loaded on the truck... Dang

My EDD and service center are both exactly what yours are. I ordered an MYLR Red/Black 19" all else standard on 1/13. You've been through this before. I have a bank check for half and I was planning on paying the balance through the Tesla Plaid app at delivery. Do you forsee any problems with that? My financial advisor (aka wife) seems to think that this may delay delivery. I have already texted my SA at the 508 number but they only seem to respond to me when they want something.

Update: My SA did respond back to the text (fastest ever 17 minutes, must be because its about being paid).
I’ve not had issues with payment for the prior two Teslas. The first I gave them a bank check for the total amount after I checked out the car. The second I gave them a personal check after delivery in a provider FedEx envolope. Regs at the time prevented me paying at delivery. This time around I’ll have a bank check for the entire cost and I’ll just hand it to them at delivery after I’ve inspected the car.

If I was to pay with my own funds again this time around, I would just do the payment in the app after I’ve checked out the car.

I will say, I had the opposite experience.

I got help from texting on re-activating the edit design option along with question on when to do (redo) the trade-in & financing steps (EDD was too far out before things expired).

Where as when I had enough time to go to a service center for a question I had about the seat height. Namely, I wanted to know if I could get the numbers to compare with my HR-V as this will affect how easy it is for my parents to get in and out when I transport them. The SA there kept going back ”try it for yourself.”
I was hoping they could look it up and also hoping such a stat (seat height from ground) existed.

I should clarify that I only show up to the showroom with questions under specific conditions:
  • Only during off-peak times when I know the employees aren't busy with other customers. The last hour before they close on Saturday (6pm-7pm) is completely empty at my location. I had a cordial chat with two sales associates who were otherwise just hanging out. I was politely curious about specific things, and they were happy to help investigate with the additional information they have access to as employees.
  • Only with questions that are specific to my order. For specs, measurements, how-to questions, etc. I would check google, youtube, and forums. I would not expect information like that from a sales person. (I know, they should know everything about the product they're selling, but that's just not the world we live in).
  • Only after I've been ghosted by the text line with the same questions for at least 24 hours, usually I give it two or three days.

I am doing the Cquartz Pro coating topped with Sio2 (for more gloss and beading) myself. All the material including iron/tar remover, clay remover and reload cost me $200. Highly encourage you to do it yourself instead of giving someone else north of $1000.
Ya. I am thinking the same. And the cost of materials isn’t just for one car. You can easily do 3 cars with the supplies you get. I’ll try to do my wife’s Mazda first to practice and then work on mine.

Any recommendations on a polisher??

update: GOT the VIN!
Fremont build — didn’t see it in the app but saw the “next” for next steps like insurance instead of the usual “view”. went on the website and saw the vin there!!

updated EDD 2/8-2/14
Seattle still with no VIN either :/

od 1/13 2pm
blue/black/19

edd 2/4-2/18
VIN: Fremont assigned PF67XXX on 2/5 midnight
Delivery: Requested to schedule at 9am pst 2/5, scheduled for 2/11 Sat! Can’t wait!!