Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from the income requirements, taxpayer is eligible for the $7,500 EV tax credits if the car purchased has met the two requirements:
  1. Critical mineral requirement - $3,750
  2. Battery component requirement - $3,750
Tesla "made/assembled" their batteries (4680/2170) in the US. This is why Tesla will be able to meet the second requirement which will make their cars eligible for the $3,750 credits.

However, the first test require that the "critical minerals" in the battery have to have certain % in terms of value (a) to be "extracted or processed or recycled" (b) in the US or other country with a free trade agreement with the US. As you can imagine, most of these minerals are coming from the countries that do not have free trade agreement with the US. To identify the activities in the process (b) above is not an easy task and will involve all the suppliers in the process. I think that's why it takes so long for the treasury to come up with the guidance on this.

Regardless what the guidance treasury will come up with, it is presummed that none of the auto makers will meet this requirement. That's why it is anticipated that Tesla buyers will lose the $3,750 credits when the treasury guidance on the critical mineral requirement is released.

If you are interested, here is the treasury white paper that I based off.

Just to clarify, I don't believe the battery component requirement pertains to where the battery is assembled. I'm sure there's some overlap there but the requirement entails that the vehicle's battery components are sourced from the US or countries identified under the free trade agreement. For example, the minerals can come from China, then the battery components are manufactured in Malaysia, then the battery is assembled in Nevada. I haven't looked at the list of countries but if Malaysia isn't listed, then it doesn't count. But since the requirement is just 50% for 2023, I still agree with you that Tesla will likely meet it for the M3 and MY. Has it been unequivocally confirmed, though? Unfortunately, it hasn't.

For anyone interested, electrek has a nice, abridged breakdown of the requirements here. Just keep scrolling down until you read, "In order to get the full tax credit, the EV must be assembled in North America and…"

Question to those folks who had rejected delivery in the past.

Is it normal for delivery center to put a "hold" on the order following a rejection?

SA said it is to avoid re-matching back to the same VIN, but wasn't sure if the hold will be removed automatically in a couple of days, or if I have to remove the hold manually.

It bothers me a little that there are 20 MYSRs within 200 miles of me that I could buy today, 3 at the lot just 5 miles from my house. I wish they would have skipped making those available and manufactured the MYLR or MYP that everyone ordered... Maybe my MYLR could have been produced a couple of days sooner.... schedule delivery a few days sooner...
I thought I was done refreshing the app every 10 minutes once I got my vin. Now I refresh often to see if I can schedule my delivery yet.
I was thinking the same thing. They have a huge backlog for the LR and instead they dump so many MYAWD short range onto the web hoping someone will buy one. When all along they have thousands of Tesla Orders not being filled. Tesla get your priorities straight Take car of your pending orders first. Just my opinion.

Reactions: rugox
Not seen it mentioned in earlier posts but seems not too many people are considering switching from MYLR to MYAWD.

The price difference is not huge so maybe that is why but with the much higher probability of getting the car in Feb and locking in the full credit.

I was thinking the reason for so many AWD was when the Gov EV credit was announced they thought how do we make a Y that allows us stack profitable options and still be under $55k. Ie how much profit is in those 20” wheels. They made batches to scoop up the credit before March.

Not seen it mentioned in earlier posts but seems not too many people are considering switching from MYLR to MYAWD.

The price difference is not huge so maybe that is why but with the much higher probability of getting the car in Feb and locking in the full credit.

I was thinking the reason for so many AWD was when the Gov EV credit was announced they thought how do we make a Y that allows us stack profitable options and still be under $55k. Ie how much profit is in those 20” wheels. They made batches to scoop up the credit before March.
They need to make the MY AWD SR around $46k-$48k to entice a lot more people to buy it over LR or Performance. The $7.5k federal credit and any additional state rebates would make it around $40k or less depending on the available rebates/credits.

Now that the IRS limit for MY is $80k, switching from LR to Performance is far more worth it than switching to the AWD SR.

Reactions: sdq_11
They need to make the MY AWD SR around $46k-$48k to entice a lot more people to buy it over LR or Performance. The $7.5k federal credit and any additional state rebates would make it around $40k or less depending on the available rebates/credits.

Now that the IRS limit for MY is $80k, switching from LR to Performance is far more worth it than switching to the AWD SR.
My logic is when they started processing these the cap was $55k - so they made these cars for a market that shifted on them during production.

I was at one point, before the IRS adjusted the price cap I did consider it save $2k ($2k is still something). But at the start I saw two SRAWD, but they got grabbed before I could. Later on, a whole bunch were available, but with the 20” wheels. Which made the price the same as my OD LR… meaning it was pointless to me. Then the cap got lifted and I switched to a P.

For anyone thinking about MYAWD and uncertain of when all this new inventory is actually being produced (as most of it is coming soon), I noticed that on waitingfortesla.com they do list the build dates and they are mostly next week. Feb 16-20th.
You can go on there, filter for MYAWD and then filter for your location to see what cars are coming to your dealer and when they will be produced. Seems most should arrive by end of Feb as they will all have at least 8 days to transport to wherever.

According to Munro Associates, Tesla can produce a new vehicle every 30 seconds. Given this capability, I think the number of MYSD being produced have minimal impact on existing custom order fulfillment. It may even alleviate or temper demand in a small way.

However, I have this nagging feeling that Tesla reduced the pricing of the MYLR in order to exhaust their current inventory and purchase commitments of 2170 battery packs. And they introduced the MYSD with the 'dumb downed' 4860 battery pack in order to get real time data for introducing an improved version that provides better range. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2024 MYLR is equipped with an extended range 4860 that surpasses the range and charging times of today's 2170. Then again, I could be all wet.

To my knowledge, there is not a single EV sold in US that would meet the critical battery components requirement. As it’s written, this requirement makes no common sense. Either remove the requirement or delay its enforcement until a realistic date -- perhaps 1/1/2024 would be realistic.
The point of the legislation legislation is to incentivize manufacturers to produce EVs in the US and to use materials sourced by certain trade partner countries in the future, which largely isn’t happening right now. The fact that few EVs sold in the US currently meet this requirement is basically the point the legislation is trying to address. I’m glad as a buyer I happen to be benefiting now just barely two months into the legislation, but realistically, the legislation has a longer time horizon and deeper supply chain/manufacturing ambitions than to simply get Americans to buy EVs made anywhere under the existing supply chain/manufacturing scheme.

Last edited:
No, my response is is true and accurate .

The OP is "Yes but one thing is for sure, Tesla is not going by order date which is disrespectful."

My response was:

No company could possibly go by order date. For example, consider this sequence: Person A orders red, B orders blue, C red, D white, E white, F red. For them to respect that sequence they'd have to turn over their production line four times. If they respected the order date, people would get their cars in 2026. (Yes, I know there's not just one line.) [Bottom line, a car company does not disrespect its customers when it does not follow a FIFO schedule.]

Your response (which I'm sure is true) is addressing a different topic, not the feasibility of Tesla organizing their production line and schedule strictly according to the who ordered first, second, third, etc.
Well maybe, if you want to split hairs. Except GM does go by order date. With Corvettes they give allocations to the dealers I believe every 2 weeks. The dealers then submit their orders which are accepted. They they go through various status updates and given a TBD. The "order" of build is in fact influenced by certain variables - convertible - coupe - Z06 and soon to be ERAY. But it is NOTHING like Tesla. You cannot get a Corvette "earlier" if you buy the most expensive model. There is significant planning and coordination involved because of all the custom options you can get - over 11,000 different builds are possible with a Corvette vs @60 with any Tesla model. The no dealerships does change the equation but does not change the substance of my point.

Reactions: rugox
Picked my car today at Kemnnesaw (atlanta) center
Overall pleasant experience. I arrived 30 min before my scheduled 10min appointment. They opened the car for me we checked the car out. Paid with cashiers chk and was out without much of hassle.
Took longer than it should but staff was excellent and helpful.
No issues with fit or finish

MYLR5
OD 1/15
Austin built
2/23 built
Vin PA064xx

Well maybe, if you want to split hairs. Except GM does go by order date. With Corvettes they give allocations to the dealers I believe every 2 weeks. The dealers then submit their orders which are accepted. They they go through various status updates and given a TBD. The "order" of build is in fact influenced by certain variables - convertible - coupe - Z06 and soon to be ERAY. But it is NOTHING like Tesla. You cannot get a Corvette "earlier" if you buy the most expensive model. There is significant planning and coordination involved because of all the custom options you can get - over 11,000 different builds are possible with a Corvette vs @60 with any Tesla model. The no dealerships does change the equation but does not change the substance of my point.
Exactly. This is what a sensible consumer would like to see, that a company makes the effort to ensure that they get fair treatment in the buying process, and generally receive the car in the order that they placed them. It's mind boggling how wrapped up these individuals are with giving Tesla the grace. They are literally reframing disrespect as "it is how it's supposed to be." They are literally telling people "don't be frustrated or complain even if they skip your order and someone who ordered weeks after you get their's first, you should be accommodating for their production timeline and turn over."

According to Munro Associates, Tesla can produce a new vehicle every 30 seconds. Given this capability, I think the number of MYSD being produced have minimal impact on existing custom order fulfillment. It may even alleviate or temper demand in a small way.

However, I have this nagging feeling that Tesla reduced the pricing of the MYLR in order to exhaust their current inventory and purchase commitments of 2170 battery packs. And they introduced the MYSD with the 'dumb downed' 4860 battery pack in order to get real time data for introducing an improved version that provides better range. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2024 MYLR is equipped with an extended range 4860 that surpasses the range and charging times of today's 2170. Then again, I could be all wet.
Highly doubt this number, if this was true, we would have all gotten our cars already.

Highly doubt this number, if this was true, we would have all gotten our cars already.
Let me clarify, it was reported that Tesla is able to drop a vehicle off the back of the assembly line every 30 seconds. The typical OEM is able to do so every 45 seconds, on average. They didn't say how long it took to build a vehicle from start to finish.

I would invite you research this engineering company to determine how creditable they are. I've learned a great deal from them about automobile manufacturing, including EV technology, and not just Tesla's platform.

For example, they recently they dismantled a Ford EV and found that 1 mile of unnecessary high voltage wiring weighing 70 pounds. This was quite an embarrassment to Ford prompting their CEO hire them as consultants for their EV platform.

I was thinking the same thing. They have a huge backlog for the LR and instead they dump so many MYAWD short range onto the web hoping someone will buy one. When all along they have thousands of Tesla Orders not being filled. Tesla get your priorities straight Take car of your pending orders first. Just my opinion.
Tesla just raised the price of all these beauties by $500. MYAWD now starts at $53490.

• Informative
Reactions: rr_92 and zroger73