Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VIN is assigned after the car is built, not before. That being said, they could have reassigned a VIN from a no responsive order, which was how I got mine after my original VIN was damaged during shipping.
Let's clear this misconception up once and for all: VINs are not "assigned" after the car is built; that's just when Tesla divulges them to the purchaser. A VIN is assigned to a vehicle the moment it starts being built. It is stamped into multiple locations of the frame and body so that law enforcement can track down "chop shops" should the vehicle ever be stolen. Look at the location of the VIN most of us are familiar with: underneath the windshield glass on the driver side. Exactly how do you think it could get there "after the car is built"?

Let's clear this misconception up once and for all: VINs are not "assigned" after the car is built; that's just when Tesla divulges them to the purchaser. A VIN is assigned to a vehicle the moment it starts being built. It is stamped into multiple locations of the frame and body so that law enforcement can track down "chop shops" should the vehicle ever be stolen. Look at the location of the VIN most of us are familiar with: underneath the windshield glass on the driver side. Exactly how do you think it could get there "after the car is built"?

I think the PP was talking about a buyer getting a VIN assigned, not the car itself.

Then you made a it looks like you are being wise in your decision making for your situation it would seem - kudos! Keep in mind all relatively expensive "luxury" vehicles seem to have crazy repair costs as well.. BMW stands for "Break My Wallet" for a reason! 🤣
The question is not about luxury vehicle the question is once you pay 50k for the car and the small repairs to fix tesla must not be 25% to 30% of the car cost. BMW repairs does not cost this much. Cars meant to drive on road and not for sitting in garage.

Alright, ladies and gentlemen - the moderator warned us to simmer down. Let's not get this thread locked because misery loves company and I'm anxious for my Model Y to arrive before the tax credit disappears. :)

Im not going to lock it, its very useful for people to hang out with each other. Action would be more individualized. Read into that what you will.

The question is not about luxury vehicle the question is once you pay 50k for the car and the small repairs to fix tesla must not be 25% to 30% of the car cost. BMW repairs does not cost this much. Cars meant to drive on road and not for sitting in garage.
Do you have some examples of this relative to BMW repairs? Tires? Body Work? I'm happy to adjust my thinking on this and I do recognize you pay a premium for Tesla repairs. Keep in mind the X7 is $15K more so the relative percentage on a similar cost repair will be lower. I currently own a BMW and like it very much but also like the Teslas I've briefly driven.

I think the PP was talking about a buyer getting a VIN assigned, not the car itself.
Well, that's not exactly true, either. All those 4680-battery MYAWDs showing up "in inventory" already have VINs, but are, for the most part, in pre-production. If someone buys one, then they are assigned to that VIN. I don't think anyone knows exactly how the black box that is Tesla's manufacturing process works, but I doubt that it's random. It wouldn't make economic sense to just crank out cars and then try to match them to existing orders as they roll off the assembly line. Over time, they can probably figure out what percentage of each model/trim/color/options are ordered, but since they have an overabundance of specific orders, why not use that to determine production? Obviously, there are supply chain and other issues which might constrain the production of certain colors or options, but trying to figure out the magic combination of color and options that might get your car a few days earier is pointless and equally likely to delay your delivery as to speed it up.

• Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude
I guess it is more accurate to say a VIN is assigned to a user after Tesla allocates the VIN to a transport to a customer. This is possibly why customers get VIN information in situations ranging from production to a couple of days before delivery. Some of this is customer cancellations, configuration changes, or rejections freeing up a nearby vehicle. Some of this is Tesla knowing early a VIN will be assigned to a specific transport during production.

Do you have some examples of this relative to BMW repairs? Tires? Body Work? I'm happy to adjust my thinking on this and I do recognize you pay a premium for Tesla repairs. Keep in mind the X7 is $15K more so the relative percentage on a similar cost repair will be lower. I currently own a BMW and like it very much but also like the Teslas I've briefly driven.
Dude.. I owned a 430i convertible which I sold recently and I own an X5. I almost concur with your "Break My Wallet" 😅

BMW X7 two tires and rims were damaged and BMW ended up changing the 4 tires and rims for 700$ to make customer happy. The original cost was I think close to 4k.

BMW X7 two tires and rims were damaged and BMW ended up changing the 4 tires and rims for 700$ to make customer happy. The original cost was I think close to 4k.
Try that at tesla and let me know. U will be talking to tesla wall. I am not telling you to do not buy Tesla but keep in these in considerations. It is your money not mine and I am happy so see yr money goes in US economy. I want to my portfolio to go up on yr money. :) I mean yeah it has some good things but after 8yrs you are almost done due to everything is electronics. check this out about so called luxury car.

• Disagree
Well, that's not exactly true, either. All those 4680-battery MYAWDs showing up "in inventory" already have VINs, but are, for the most part, in pre-production. If someone buys one, then they are assigned to that VIN. I don't think anyone knows exactly how the black box that is Tesla's manufacturing process works, but I doubt that it's random. It wouldn't make economic sense to just crank out cars and then try to match them to existing orders as they roll off the assembly line. Over time, they can probably figure out what percentage of each model/trim/color/options are ordered, but since they have an overabundance of specific orders, why not use that to determine production? Obviously, there are supply chain and other issues which might constrain the production of certain colors or options, but trying to figure out the magic combination of color and options that might get your car a few days earier is pointless and equally likely to delay your delivery as to speed it up.
Sure, when a VIN gets assigned to a customer is a questions mark. However, based on crowd sourcing when a VIN gets assigned and the production date of the VIN, it appears to happen after the production date. We are all just guessing to some degree based on available evidence.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
That's interesting thanks - the costs I've found for Tesla tires are in a range from $1200 to $1400.. so in general (without the nice service folks reducing prices) Teslas are cheaper for this kind of repair given your info of $4K. Keep in mind EVs need to have even more specialized tires due to weight and acceleration characteristics so are generally more expensive anyway.

Try that at tesla and let me know. U will be talking to tesla wall. I am not telling you to do not buy Tesla but keep in these in considerations. It is your money not mine and I am happy so see yr money goes in US economy. I want to my portfolio to go up on yr money. :) I mean yeah it has some good things but after 8yrs you are almost done due to everything is electronics. check this out about so called luxury car.

Yep agree that seems sneaky at best and incredibly dishonest at worst.. here's another article on that as well..

I didn't get the performance upgrade package but that's definitely food for thought especially for folks here that did... some have also speculated the sensor removal was purely a cost cutting move at the expense of functionality as well.

Tesla by not having any sort of marketing/PR department is not doing itself any favors.

Sure, when a VIN gets assigned to a customer is a questions mark. However, based on crowd sourcing when a VIN gets assigned and the production date of the VIN, it appears to happen after the production date. We are all just guessing to some degree based on available evidence.
Just because Tesla doesn't tell you your VIN until production is completed doesn't mean they didn't build it specifically to your order from the outset. I can see the sense in this, because a vehicle might get rejected at some point during production and they don't want to keep shuffling VINs around. Better to wait until they have an accepted, finished product to divulge the VIN.

Reactions: eRoamin and NovaY

You are welcome! I am happy to help fellow shareholders - I bought in when it was at $110 recently so am pretty happy right now. If it keeps going up maybe will be able to afford some Tesla repairs next year!!! 🤣🤣🤣