Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current EDD is 3/18 to 3/31 (O/D 1/22). Just for the hell of it, I asked Tesla chat agent if there is really a possibility that I could get the car today or tomorrow - the answer is obviously "no," since I don't have a VIN, much less scheduled delivery date. Chat agent's answer was that 3/18 to 3/31 is their most current estimate and that no further information was available - "you see what I see."

Yes it was easy to order - and I will still be happy if I accept delivery before EOQ. But I agree with others that the broken EDD algorithm is inexcusable. They should be able to do better.

Last edited:
Reactions: BailMY and erktrek
MYP Black/White
OD: 01/30
EDD1: FEB-MAR
EDD2: 03/07 - 03/21
EDD3: 03/15 - 03/28
EDD4: 03/16 - 03/28
EDD5: 03/17 - 03/28
EDD6: 04/08 - 05/13
NO VIN

Has anyone experienced these many pushouts?
My order date is close to yours (2/2). My location is SoCal. I ordered the most basic of basic options- White/Black/19”/5 seats. After the initial generic EDD of Mar-May, I got an EDD of 3/25-3/31. A couple weeks later, it became 4/3-5/8. A few weeks after that, it changed to 4/28-6/3. I’m fine with being a Q2 delivery. I‘m just hoping the delivery date gets bumped up to mid-April. I don’t want to wait until the end of May or into June for this car.

Reactions: starise and hp1234
My order date is close to yours (2/2). My location is SoCal. I ordered the most basic of basic options- White/Black/19”/5 seats. After the initial generic EDD of Mar-May, I got an EDD of 3/25-3/31. A couple weeks later, it became 4/3-5/8. A few weeks after that, it changed to 4/28-6/3. I’m fine with being a Q2 delivery. I‘m just hoping the delivery date gets bumped up to mid-April. I don’t want to wait until the end of May or into June for this car.
Yesterday I was told via text by a SA that the lower priced MYLR are in heavy demand and therefore, an MYP was more likely to be delivered sooner. I'm not sure if my timing was impeccable or they helped me along, but modified my order shortly afterwards, and now I have a scheduled delivery date of 3/22.

By the way, I texted back that I had done so. No harm in over-communicating.

I left my configuration as white/black with no additional options. Others have chosen to add 20s, towing, upgrade color hoping to get in a shorter queue. In my opinion, the performance package offers a much better value than adding those items ala carte.

In my mind it's a focus on "Minimal Viable Product" and lately "First Principals" where a product/service/goal is broken down to it's simplest parts/techniques and rapidly built up from there. Customer service might in fact come later but is not as important as establishing the product (in Teslas case - factories then vehicles etc) and rapidly getting it out the door. Its about tearing things down to hopefully avoid or get around a "local maximum".

At a higher level there seems to be a pervasive belief/hubris that technology can solve all ills and that the leaders are somehow smarter or more in tune with what societies and customers really need or want.
I have lived in Silicon Valley for over 50 years, and I have no idea what you are talking about.😆

First Principals? What's that?

Same situation for us. Sold RAV4 thinking EDD would time well. Now looking day by day for inventory model or VIN assignment to see likelihood of end of Q delivery would match up for a mountain snow trip. Bay area now has 4 MYPs added since last night. I can see these being waved in front of us for more 💵

I was more confident but my EDD slipped to 3/26-31. 🤞

Sending positive thoughts for our kids to all enjoy spring break in a new ride.
Sorry for the newb question, but how can you tell that 4 MYPs have been added since last night?

Sorry for the newb question, but how can you tell that 4 MYPs have been added since last night?
For CA, I was browsing yesterday and last night and then again this morning. So I observed that there were 4 myp that had 3/17 dates on "waiting for Tesla" site. It was a personal observation from viewing this sites obsessively! Not any specific system tool. Just for the chance if an inventory item may catch my 👀. Take care

Reactions: derriX
Of course that was because you picked a car that was readily available. If you were trying to buy a RAV4 Prime, or most other EVs right now, you'd be placing an order and waiting, just like with the Tesla. If you REALLY didn't want to wait, you could have watched the inventory, and picked one of those, but you'd've had to settle for what was available rather than getting just what you want.
Tesla's EDD and constant postponing of dates is frustrating. Just because I ordered a customized car doesn't mean I have to deal with crap. Tesla has been the worse company in estimating dates so far. I have my EDDs shift radically, "Scheduled" delivery postponed after a time and day assignment. They have NO freaking clue what they are doing. They can put something like a simple AirTag on a car and figure out where the damn car is. There is excellent tech to manage logistics nowadays.

Most of their order mismanagement stems from trying to be cute with maximizing profits as the expense of the customer.

TINA is only reason Tesla is able to get away with these shenanigans. Eventually competition will catch up and they will have to treat customers better or lose out.

Reactions: imgcs
Tesla's EDD and constant postponing of dates is frustrating. Just because I ordered a customized car doesn't mean I have to deal with crap. Tesla has been the worse company in estimating dates so far. I have my EDDs shift radically, "Scheduled" delivery postponed after a time and day assignment. They have NO freaking clue what they are doing. They can put something like a simple AirTag on a car and figure out where the damn car is. There is excellent tech to manage logistics nowadays.

Most of their order mismanagement stems from trying to be cute with maximizing profits as the expense of the customer.

TINA is only reason Tesla is able to get away with these shenanigans. Eventually competition will catch up and they will have to treat customers better or lose out.
I have seen companies who treated customers like a $hit and vanished eventually. Elon is a genius engineer but not a people person. Hope they will learn from history and implement good customer service. - Frustrated customer.

Last edited:
The drama continues. Made an appointment Thursday for 3/21. Today got a text…”due to slight delays your car won’t be here on the 21st, please reschedule for 24, 25, or 27.” Called and they blamed a shipping issue due to weather. Maybe snow out west? This is infuriating. There is no way they didn’t know on Thursday there was a 3 day delay on shipping, when they scheduled me for Tuesday and let me rearrange my schedule, take off work, cancel a plumbing appointment, etc. Now 1.5 days later suddenly they know of a 3 day delay?

So now I’m rescheduled for 3/24, but I guess I’ll find out if that date holds. I feel worse about this credit, but still hopeful they announce closer to the end of the month. Maybe some more banks can go belly up to keep the Treasury busy this week.

They said it was on the rails heading for Chicago now. So now I have a new pastime, watching the weather between Freemont, Chicago, and here. 😐
One of the pre-requisite of getting a Tesla is becoming a meteorologist.:eek:

Alright, so GOOD NEWS for me I reckon. I was able to get a successful price match .:) Thanks to my friend, @ghostrider78 's persistence, I finally headed to the local Tesla SC this morning.

Being a Saturday, the SC was so busy that no advisor was available for my service, and the regional manager herself had to step in to talk to me. I told her about my concerns of varying EDDs, being in a limbo, said I'm paying cash, don't have a vehicle to trade in.. all smooth process. I told her you're getting to the quarter end. I can close out on one deal in no time. Do you have anything you can match me with? I only want to keep the Gemini wheels and don't want a tow. Initially, she didn't agree to price match me. I told her that they'd have to sell me at my price some day, if not today. Finally after a lot of discussion, she agreed to it. She started looking for some vehicles within a 300 mile radius and at the factories, that would make the quarter end. Many of them couldn't be assigned to me or routed to our location on time, or was already en-route. Finally, after a bit of persuasion and me sticking around for hours, they called up the HQ and had someone override price matches and current logistical routes to see if anything could be moved to me. They found 2 matches, a black exterior heading to Atlanta and an MSM just out of the Austin plant. They asked me if I was okay with either color. I was, and voila, they were able to assign the MSM one to me just out of the plant today (build date: Mar 18).

So, finally VIN ASSIGNED Austin Build (**PA091**) . As I was at the delivery center, didn't have to wait for anymore texts to schedule delivery. They scheduled the appointment for me right there. Fingers crossed for delivery on Sunday, Mar 26 🤞. My final configuration is now MSM/White/19 inch/no Tow (base price 52,990 with extras for the paint).

Has anyone made the final payment (downpayment..not the finance) through tesla app..where you link your bank account.I already linked the bank account in there...i am thinking of clicking the pay button after i finalize and like the car. Will that payment work right away?

MYP Black/White
OD: 01/30
EDD1: FEB-MAR
EDD2: 03/07 - 03/21
EDD3: 03/15 - 03/28
EDD4: 03/16 - 03/28
EDD5: 03/17 - 03/28
EDD6: 04/08 - 05/13
NO VIN

Has anyone experienced these many pushouts?
OD 1/15/23
MYLR 5 WHT/Black / 19" Basic
EDD1 Jan-Mar
01/17 - Approved Tesla (Wells Fargo) loan and done registration process
01/21 - Rcvd Wall charger
01/24 - Installed Wall charger
EDD2 - Mar 05-Mar 31
EDD3 - Mar 19-Mar 31
EDD4 - Mar 26 - Apr 15
EDD 5 - APR 15 - May 10
EDD 6 - APR 20 - May 25
NO VIN

Reactions: RCDriver23
OD 1/15/23
EDD1 Jan-Mar
EDD2 - Mar 05-Mar 31
EDD3 - Mar 19-Mar 31
EDD4 - Mar 26 - Apr 15
EDD 5 - APR 15 - May 10
EDD 6 - APR 20 - May 25
NO VIN
Can you talk to someone at a SC like FanboyNC did? Your delays are absurd for a basic MYLR with your order date.

OD 1/15/23
EDD1 Jan-Mar
EDD2 - Mar 05-Mar 31
EDD3 - Mar 19-Mar 31
EDD4 - Mar 26 - Apr 15
EDD 5 - APR 15 - May 10
EDD 6 - APR 20 - May 25
NO VIN
Sam, go ahead to the Tesla SC and find Michelle and tell her about your situation. You've to be persuasive. I'm sure she will help finally. You have to find "Michelle".

Alright, so GOOD NEWS for me I reckon. I was able to get a successful price match .:) Thanks to my friend, @ghostrider78 's persistence, I finally headed to the local Tesla SC this morning.

Being a Saturday, the SC was so busy that no advisor was available for my service, and the regional manager herself had to step in to talk to me. I told her about my concerns of varying EDDs, being in a limbo, said I'm paying cash, don't have a vehicle to trade in.. all smooth process. I told her you're getting to the quarter end. I can close out on one deal in no time. Do you have anything you can match me with? I only want to keep the Gemini wheels and don't want a tow. Initially, she didn't agree to price match me. I told her that they'd have to sell me at my price some day, if not today. Finally after a lot of discussion, she agreed to it. She started looking for some vehicles within a 300 mile radius and at the factories, that would make the quarter end. Many of them couldn't be assigned to me or routed to our location on time, or was already en-route. Finally, after a bit of persuasion and me sticking around for hours, they called up the HQ and had someone override price matches and current logistical routes to see if anything could be moved to me. They found 2 matches, a black exterior heading to Atlanta and an MSM just out of the Austin plant. They asked me if I was okay with either color. I was, and voila, they were able to assign the MSM one to me just out of the plant today (build date: Mar 18).

So, finally VIN ASSIGNED Austin Build (**PA091**) . As I was at the delivery center, didn't have to wait for anymore texts to schedule delivery. They scheduled the appointment for me right there. Fingers crossed for delivery on Sunday, Mar 26 🤞. My final configuration is now MSM/White/19 inch/no Tow (base price 52,990 with extras for the paint).
FanboyNC: I'm so happy for you! I made a bunch of calls myself yesterday to no avail. And voila today I find my VIN, Austin plant, exact same build as yours. Must be twins. So finally, fingers crossed, MY's in the driveway soon!

OD-1/16/23...MYLR/MSM/W/19"..VIN Assigned 3/18
EDD- 2/10-3/24, 3/13-3/31, 4/5-5/15, 3/30-3/31

FanboyNC: I'm so happy for you! I made a bunch of calls myself yesterday to no avail. And voila today I find my VIN, Austin plant, exact same build as yours. Must be twins. So finally, fingers crossed, MY's in the driveway soon!

OD-1/16/23...MYLR/MSM/W/19"..VIN Assigned 3/18
EDD- 2/10-3/24, 3/13-3/31, 4/5-5/15, 3/30-3/31
Amazing dude.. must be twins for certain.. 😇 .. and perhaps on the same logistical route..

Reactions: geekfam