Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding to tax credit for future, I do think sth will change in 2024 and 2025. In those years, more restricted rules for battery will take effect. For example, battery mineral cannot be proceed by china who is dominate processing industry.

Last edited:
Every new car, except my last Tesla, required trips to multiple dealers to find best price and not feeling like I’m being screwed. Then minimum of 2-3 hours in the showroom waiting, negotiating, waiting, more negotiating and more waiting. Those were some of the most stressful days I’ve put in.
OTOH, I go online pick my model and config, pay $250 and presto I’ve ordered a new car. Everyone pays the same price on any given day. No bargaining, no waiting, no bullish!t.
Couldn’t be easier.
You left out the "Let me go talk to my manager" :p . I agree with you. However, the stress of delivery date after selling one of our two cars thinking we'd have the car a month ago (did not go over well with my wife) was bit of a higher level than I thought it would be. Today will end the wait!! Yay me/us!!!!!

I don't think people are upset about the ordering experience, that was certainly great - we ordered at the showroom but basically same process. Years ago bought a Saturn and while not online was definitely similar - no haggle, easy peasy.

The issue is customer handling between the order and delivery. These are not inexpensive cars and we all have to make plans (financial, infrastructure, trip scheduling) around taking delivery but the lack of good, regular information screws this up. Jerking us around with shifting EDDs is not helpful if there is no explanation.
Agree entirely. My nearest pick up location is 5 hrs away. I was told home delivery was an option but then when getting my Edd range there is no other option but pick up due to it being near the end of the quarter. On top of that they cannot even narrow down my Edd even though it’s next week. I have things for work that are schedules multiple months in advance and often not able to be moved. Not an easy task to rearrange entire days worth of schedule particularly at the last minute. The ordering was easy. The pick up and delivery of the cars is completely unacceptable for what these cars cost.

Agree entirely. My nearest pick up location is 5 hrs away. I was told home delivery was an option but then when getting my Edd range there is no other option but pick up due to it being near the end of the quarter. On top of that they cannot even narrow down my Edd even though it’s next week. I have things for work that are schedules multiple months in advance and often not able to be moved. Not an easy task to rearrange entire days worth of schedule particularly at the last minute. The ordering was easy. The pick up and delivery of the cars is completely unacceptable for what these cars cost.
First time since my kids were born, we couldn't take any trip on their spring break because of constantly changing EDDs. Not I am complaining but that's been our family tradition and convincing kids and wife about Tesla over trip was not easy conversation. If my tesla is delivered after a spring break, I am a dead man 🧟‍♂️ lol.

Every new car, except my last Tesla, required trips to multiple dealers to find best price and not feeling like I’m being screwed. Then minimum of 2-3 hours in the showroom waiting, negotiating, waiting, more negotiating and more waiting. Those were some of the most stressful days I’ve put in.
OTOH, I go online pick my model and config, pay $250 and presto I’ve ordered a new car. Everyone pays the same price on any given day. No bargaining, no waiting, no bullish!t.
Couldn’t be easier.

I've purchased 30+ new automobiles in as many years. In the early days, it used to take hours to days to buy a vehicle - driving around to find a vehicle I wanted, negotiating, and driving back and forth between dealers until I reached their lowest price.

Now that we have internet and email, I spend a few minutes locating the vehicle I want and a few more minutes researching invoice, holdback, and incentives to determine how much I'm willing to pay for that vehicle. I then send an email to every dealer that has the vehicle I'm looking for that says something like, "I'm sending this email to every dealer within a reasonable driving distance from me. I will pay $x for the blue SUV stock number 12345. After work, I will be driving to the first dealer who accepts my offer to pay for the vehicle and pick it up." Some won't respond at all. Some will try to counteroffer. One or two will say, "We'll have the vehicle ready when you get here!" This has been my successful method for more than a decade. No stress and no waiting.

With Tesla, I ordered nearly two months ago and still have no idea if the vehicle will arrive next week or months from now. The estimated delivery date is a wildly random moving target. It often takes hours or days to get a response from a human. I have no idea if there will still be a $7,500, $3,750, or no tax credit when it does arrive and because I'm in Texas, I have to pay for a vehicle I've never seen before it will be available for delivery. Because I can't see the vehicle before I buy it, I have no idea what kind of condition it will be in. Despite the fixed, non-negotiable purchase price, this Tesla purchase has already been the longest, most stressful vehicle purchase I've ever made - and it's not over yet.
A 30 or 60-day transition period is typical after the IRS releases the requirements. For example, if they release the requirements on March 25th and there is a 30-day transition period, Model 3 SR would still continue to qualify for $7,500 tax credit for deliveries until April 24.

Thank you for the information and analyses you provide.

Can you explain what seems to be a discrepancy between your statement the following statement on the IRS website that appears to state that the new requirements will take effect "the day after" guidance is issued rather than after some 30 to 60-day delay?

Until the day after the Treasury Department and the IRS issue proposed guidance on the critical mineral and battery component requirements of the new clean vehicle credit...

Can you explain what seems to be a discrepancy between your statement the following statement on the IRS website that appears to state that the new requirements will take effect "the day after" guidance is issued rather than after some 30 to 60-day delay?
I actually checked this out a while back. IIRC, it says that on the IRS website but if you view the latest IRS Fact Sheet that was updated a few months back, it gives more info about a potential "30 to 60 day transition period".

Reactions: starise
Zrobert73 Definitely applaud your new car purchase process pre-Tesla. Obviously our current order/delivery stress is magnified by Federal and State tax implications. Thankfully Troy is a able to provide knowledge and analysis that significantly helps reduce much of that stress level. With that being said, I've always found it valuable to "expect the worst, but hope for the best". Turning to some optimism, I'm confident that we will love our new cars and do appreciate this community for sharing knowledge, analysis, experiences and ideas. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

I've purchased 30+ new automobiles in as many years. In the early days, it used to take hours to days to buy a vehicle - driving around to find a vehicle I wanted, negotiating, and driving back and forth between dealers until I reached their lowest price.

Now that we have internet and email, I spend a few minutes locating the vehicle I want and a few more minutes researching invoice, holdback, and incentives to determine how much I'm willing to pay for that vehicle. I then send an email to every dealer that has the vehicle I'm looking for that says something like, "I'm sending this email to every dealer within a reasonable driving distance from me. I will pay $x for the blue SUV stock number 12345. After work, I will be driving to the first dealer who accepts my offer to pay for the vehicle and pick it up." Some won't respond at all. Some will try to counteroffer. One or two will say, "We'll have the vehicle ready when you get here!" This has been my successful method for more than a decade. No stress and no waiting.

With Tesla, I ordered nearly two months ago and still have no idea if the vehicle will arrive next week or months from now. The estimated delivery date is a wildly random moving target. It often takes hours or days to get a response from a human. I have no idea if there will still be a $7,500, $3,750, or no tax credit when it does arrive and because I'm in Texas, I have to pay for a vehicle I've never seen before it will be available for delivery. Because I can't see the vehicle before I buy it, I have no idea what kind of condition it will be in. Despite the fixed, non-negotiable purchase price, this Tesla purchase has already been the longest, most stressful vehicle purchase I've ever made - and it's not over yet.

Last edited:
MYLR R/B 19", northeast PA

OD 1/22
Charger installed in Feb
EDD 1 Jan-Mar
EDD 2 Feb-Mar
EDD 3 Mar 1-31
EDD 4 Mar 27-31
EDD 5 March 26-31
EDD 6 April 4 - May 9
EDD 7 Mar 17-31
EDD 8 (yesterday) Apr 14 - May 19

Is it red that is causing me the most problems?
Possibly but it's going to be a combination of things such as the fact you're on east coast, chose MYLR red color with the rest being default options, etc. I think the most common colors I see being delivered are white and silver exteriors (prob with black interior).

Since the end of Q1 is approaching in the upcoming weeks, Tesla is going to prioritize deliveries they know they can make and then push back the ones that they aren't too sure about.

Reactions: erktrek
I actually checked this out a while back. IIRC, it says that on the IRS website but if you view the latest IRS Fact Sheet that was updated a few months back, it gives more info about a potential "30 to 60 day transition period".
Do you have a link to that?

I found this IRS Fact Sheet issued on December 29, 2022, but it doesn't mention anything about a 30 to 60-day transition period.

I can't seem to find anything official that suggests the new rules won't take effect the day after guidance is issued instead of after some transition period.

Since the end of Q1 is approaching in the upcoming weeks, Tesla is going to prioritize deliveries they know they can make and then push back the ones that they aren't too sure about.
It still blows my mind how Tesla can arrange logistics for shipping 2,000 vehicles per day. That's 83 vehicles per hour. Something and/or someone has to decide exactly where a vehicle is going every 43 seconds!

Reactions: geekfam and erktrek
MYLR R/B 19", northeast PA

OD 1/22
Charger installed in Feb
EDD 1 Jan-Mar
EDD 2 Feb-Mar
EDD 3 Mar 1-31
EDD 4 Mar 27-31
EDD 5 March 26-31
EDD 6 April 4 - May 9
EDD 7 Mar 17-31
EDD 8 (yesterday) Apr 14 - May 19

Is it red that is causing me the most problems?
Reasonable guess, It would be interesting to understand car sales by color. I would assume red and blue are lower on the scale. You have experienced a crazy number of EDD changes. Since Jan 16, I've only had 3 EDD changes in comparison. Hold strong and have faith.

Reactions: erktrek
OD 2/3 MYLR 19 Black/B&W
EDD 4/17-5/29 🤦‍♂️
GA delivery

Found same spec (in OH) on 2/26.
Couldn’t register in my state but placed order anyway.
Price by this point had gone up $1500
And added $1000 transport fee.
And interest rates went up.
But EDD was great: 3/11-3/17.

I know there have been mixed stories about whether Tesla will honor the earlier/lower price with same spec inventory. Mostly been hearing not gonna fly. And that was my initial experience with two national service reps who basically said tough luck if you want this car earlier pay the freight, otherwise wait and take the original order.

But I decided to proceed with the inventory car to get this in the hands of a local service rep who reached out last week anf said no problem. Matched up the prior order with this VIN, and delivery later today at the lower price, lower % rate, and cancelled out the additional transport fee. I was gobsmacked.

I know others are in this same situation. And it’s been said here that Tesla is no longer allowing this type of VIN swapping to assist their customers. Buy I would advise persistence. Evidence here there really isn’t a hard line “No” from the top on this. Just keep working the angle and hope you’ve landed with the right SA.
Yeah fanboy is very persistent too, so persistent that they pick up his call and say NO even before waiting to listen to his question 😀

First time since my kids were born, we couldn't take any trip on their spring break because of constantly changing EDDs. Not I am complaining but that's been our family tradition and convincing kids and wife about Tesla over trip was not easy conversation. If my tesla is delivered after a spring break, I am a dead man 🧟‍♂️ lol.
Same situation for us. Sold RAV4 thinking EDD would time well. Now looking day by day for inventory model or VIN assignment to see likelihood of end of Q delivery would match up for a mountain snow trip. Bay area now has 4 MYPs added since last night. I can see these being waved in front of us for more 💵

I was more confident but my EDD slipped to 3/26-31. 🤞

Sending positive thoughts for our kids to all enjoy spring break in a new ride.

Ordered a Blue MYLR in late Feb. Delivery later today. Aside from obvious physical defects, gap panels, etc., what else should I be on the look for before acceptance? It is still considered to be an okay deal at this point? Don't want FSD at any point with this car's life.

Couldn’t be easier.
It depends, some people enjoy the negotiation part and don’t mind waiting for hours just to seal the deal in their favor. But it’s typically a day or 2 affair in most cases and the stress is confined to that period. With this Tesla process it’s been a roller coaster of emotions. One swing of the EDD makes you happy or sad and this process meanders for at least 2 months. The first thing you do when you wake up is check the app to see what is in store for you 🥴 Ordering process in itself maybe simple enough but from there on till delivery of the car is stressful and this should be rectified based on consumers feedback. Just not sure if Tesla really cares about our feedback