Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah everyone has to make the decisions for their situation - I believe we may have driven that demo vehicle at the showroom 🤔. I just can't see paying
$1640 more for a used vehicle that has less range, potentially less "ride comfort" (subjective!) and more wear and tear than a new one with 19" wheels.

I'm actually not annoyed at Tesla for offering this because it is in fact similar.. they need to have a "not interested" check box for each vehicle on the Accel Delivery page.
I think it would be useful for Tesla to enable the selection of other secondary choices you would consider. When an 'in inventory' unit is build it would trigger an automated text/email alert. The user could then navigate to a web page that would have units matching meeting their original configuration and secondary choices.

Here are some examples.
  • Only interested in vehicle as ordered
  • Other options I would consider (the following would be presented in a fashion similar to the order page)
    • wheel choices
    • colors alternatives
    • Towing
    • etc.
  • Other variants I would consider (such as AWD, LR, and P)
  • Willing to travel (for states that don't allow direct sales)
    • States
Furthermore, this feature could be automated to go full circle resulting in a timely assignment of that unit to one's account. This ability would free up SAs to focus on delivery and support. Moreover, it would avoid the frustration of customers missing opportunities because they could not reach a SA in time.

I think it would be useful for Tesla to enable the selection of other secondary choices you would consider. When an 'in inventory' unit is build it would trigger an automated text/email alert. The user could then navigate to a web page that would have units matching meeting their original configuration and secondary choices.

Here are some examples.
  • Other options I would consider (the following would be presented in a fashion similar to the order page)
    • wheel choices
    • colors alternatives
    • Towing
    • etc.
    • States
Furthermore, this feature could be automated to go full circle resulting in a timely assignment of that unit to one's account. This ability would free up SAs to focus on delivery and support. Moreover, it would avoid the frustration of customers missing opportunities because they could not reach a SA in time.
Do you happen to work on the Product side for your career? 👀

Sounds like a great feature for the customer's benefit but would be more time taken away from developers to actually work on the product they're selling (the vehicle). Knowing that Elon Musk's companies don't like to hire more than necessary and he himself doesn't believe in middle management, I don't see them dedicating a lot of time to make this feature a reality. From a customer/user and Product perspective, I agree completely but that's a lot of moving parts from a technical standpoint.

Tesla could improve their customer experience but they choose not to.

Last edited:
Do you happen to work on the Product side for your career? 👀

Sounds like a great feature for the customer's benefit but would be more time taken away from developers to actually work on the product they're selling (the vehicle). Knowing that Elon Musk's companies don't like to hire more than necessary and he himself doesn't believe in middle management, I don't see them dedicating a lot of time to make this feature a reality. From a customer/user and Product perspective, I agree completely but that's a lot of moving parts from a technical standpoint.

Tesla could improve their customer experience but they choose not to.
You are very perceptive - recently retired after long career in software development with latest role as product manager for several software vendors.

As you pointed out, things are often more complex than first meets the eye.

Picking up in Owings Mills, MD outside of Baltimore. The vehicle was originally destined for Vienna, VA (was in existing inventory) but was able to get it re-routed to Baltimore area which cuts the distance almost in half and keeps us away from DC area. :cool:
Welp, got a text from Tesla this morning that our DD was delayed from 3/28 at 4:00 PM to 3/31 at 10:00 AM. We couldn't do the 10:00 AM timeslot so it was changed to 3/31 at 4:00 PM. Figured this might happen due to transportation and delivery related delays - it's going to make for a longer week LOL.

Here are some examples.
    • wheel choices
    • colors alternatives
    • Towing
    • etc.
    • States
Agreed.

Looking at the order tracker spreadsheet, I see at least a couple dozen entries for white Model Ys with 20" and no tow hitch - several of which have already been delivered. Mine is the only similar configuration entered with a tow hitch since Jan 20. I may already have it had I not added the hitch.

That brings up another question... I understand Tesla builds in batches, but I wonder if they are batches of identical vehicles (trim, color, and options) like Honda does or if they're batches of, say, white Model Ys that have various combinations of wheels, tow hitch, etc. as they come down the assembly line.

I was scheduled for delivery on 3/22 after receiving my vin on 3/19. I got a call and text to reschedule to 3/26.

MYLR is coming from Austin (yes it is odd) but the car was likely traveling with SoCal deliveries (assuming as my car was still in LA- just wanted to make sure delay was not due to damage). I'm waiting to hear from SC for delivery confirmation for Sunday or sooner. Car is due to arrive today. Tic tok...
So no car yet. I had Estimated DD changes (8 EDDs). And when assigned a VIN, then tentatively scheduled delivery dates (yes I see the alternative being there could also be no dates or just EDD communicated with VIN assigned) - text with rep said these scheduled dates are tentative / app shows delivery date and time. So after getting VIN on 3/19, I had tentative scheduled delivery dates: 3/22, 3/26, and 3/28. Hoping 3/28 is goes from tentative to confirmed.

Noticed as I've been waiting and watching local availability, 3 preproduction cars exact match ( assuming from Fremont) have showed up on web, 3 demos too and 3 similarly equipped that I would go with in a different color if that were and option.

The system seems to lock your edit capabilities when assigned a VIN. I had long text with rep indicating manager would not approve swapping my vin assigned with another car in inventory without a new order for the car that I wanted to swap towards. I opted to not pay a new order fee for their logistics optimization. I will 🙏for my assigned Austin car (built date 3/10- PA 087xxx) to arrive safely and get cleaned off (it is a 1 hr drive to the Fremont mothership and I'm assigned an Austin car that's takings it's time to get to Dublin for pickup). Hmm, maybe they can't find my car in the parking lot, can they electronically geo track cars in transit? Or do they just get physically scanned at each stop.

Anyways, counting down to 6pm to find out if my tentative delivery tomorrow is confirmed or not. Tic..toc

good luck to you all 🤞

Reactions: FanboyNC
Ok so my experience seems to be different than what I've seen here so far.

Just got a text stating they expect my care to be built in the next 1 to 2 days and that I will get my VIN as soon as my car is built. I was told to go ahead and schedule a tentative delivery appointment and that they will contact me to reschedule if there is a delay in shipping or my car doesn't pass inspection. So I went online to schedule Thursday. Guess my car is going to be a Fremont build since it should only take about 3 hours to get from Fremont to Rocklin where I will be getting my car. Strange that I have a delivery Appt but no VIN. but this is getting exciting.

I'd assume ordinarily this wouldn't be the case - but because we are at end of quarter and Tesla is trying to boost both production and delivery numbers - they are trying to fit this in before end of month.

Reactions: erktrek
I'd assume ordinarily this wouldn't be the case - but because we are at end of quarter and Tesla is trying to boost both production and delivery numbers - they are trying to fit this in before end of month.
They've seem to have given up on us Mid-Atlantic / New England folks who placed orders mid to late January and set our deliveries for Q2. My EDD is now about a month long which indicates it's a generic placeholder and not related to an actual manufacturing/delivery schedule.

Last edited:
Yeah I realize they are making a push for the end of the quarter. Seems they are cutting it close on my car if it really is being built today or tomorrow.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
So no car yet. I had Estimated DD changes (8 EDDs). And when assigned a VIN, then tentatively scheduled delivery dates (yes I see the alternative being there could also be no dates or just EDD communicated with VIN assigned) - text with rep said these scheduled dates are tentative / app shows delivery date and time. So after getting VIN on 3/19, I had tentative scheduled delivery dates: 3/22, 3/26, and 3/28. Hoping 3/28 is goes from tentative to confirmed.

Noticed as I've been waiting and watching local availability, 3 preproduction cars exact match ( assuming from Fremont) have showed up on web, 3 demos too and 3 similarly equipped that I would go with in a different color if that were and option.

The system seems to lock your edit capabilities when assigned a VIN. I had long text with rep indicating manager would not approve swapping my vin assigned with another car in inventory without a new order for the car that I wanted to swap towards. I opted to not pay a new order fee for their logistics optimization. I will 🙏for my assigned Austin car (built date 3/10- PA 087xxx) to arrive safely and get cleaned off (it is a 1 hr drive to the Fremont mothership and I'm assigned an Austin car that's takings it's time to get to Dublin for pickup). Hmm, maybe they can't find my car in the parking lot, can they electronically geo track cars in transit? Or do they just get physically scanned at each stop.

Anyways, counting down to 6pm to find out if my tentative delivery tomorrow is confirmed or not. Tic..toc

good luck to you all 🤞
Ok just got texts... "It's almost delivery day" instead of "we need to reschedule." So I think this is really happening tomorrow. Text from my rep states, "you will be notified when car is ready..." Have a good day.

They've seem to have given up on us Mid-Atlantic / New England folks who placed orders mid to late January and set our deliveries for Q2. My EDD is now about a month long which indicates it's a generic placeholder and not related to an actual manufacturing/delivery schedule.
Well, if the information that came out last week is an indication of what is to come, then waiting and not panic buying is the smart way to go. We will all get the $7500 credit (may not be $7500 in pocket but reduction in taxes owed) and will get the cars we ordered and brand spanking new. :)

Here are some examples.
    • wheel choices
    • colors alternatives
    • Towing
    • etc.
    • States
Smart. I definitely fall into this camp of having many desired configurations. I ordered an MSM MY but would gladly take a white or blue MY if it were available. Their current accelerated delivery options is a bad take at solving this problem.

Reactions: erktrek