Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to Tesla and the representative said that the HomeLink module, if purchased from Tesla, will be tied to your VIN and the install can be done by the owner as DIY. Hopefully this info is correct.
That sounds like complete BS unless something under the hood changed very recently… I also don’t really see how they would/could implement that sort of VIN pairing in any reasonable way, nor why they would bother for this component. That seems like a lot of R&D for 0 benefit.

Well. Did the seller on eBay get a bad batch/wrong modules or is there a code issue with Tesla? I also have an early build 2023 3LR and just installed it. Same issue with the error message shown above.
As mentioned in this thread, seems to be anything above 2024 firmware

I suspect this is the problem; based on the error message, this looks like a bug where tesla added the homelink config to the list of locked down gateway parameters that “normal” users can’t change. I suspect they’ll fix it in a future release, but definitely a weird one.
My gut feeling is that it’s a deliberate change and that the bug is more that it still shows those options in service mode instead of service mode plus

Just wondering if anyone knows any that has access that would be able to install it remotely if I get the cable and laptop connected? I'm wondering because I'm in a remote area and there's no Tesla service centers here. Just wondering also after Tesla locked it down after the 2024 firmware, was also wondering if anyone was able to enable it with 2024 firmware through laptop without getting service into service mode plus? Curious as you can enter service mode via laptop and was wondering if that is available?

I'm guessing not many people would have the cable pre Dec 2021 Model 3 but if someone that has 2024 firmware, with a regular ethernet diag port that also wants to try DIY the Homelink module.

Just wondering if anyone knows any that has access that would be able to install it remotely if I get the cable and laptop connected? I'm wondering because I'm in a remote area and there's no Tesla service centers here. Just wondering also after Tesla locked it down after the 2024 firmware, was also wondering if anyone was able to enable it with 2024 firmware through laptop without getting service into service mode plus? Curious as you can enter service mode via laptop and was wondering if that is available?

I'm guessing not many people would have the cable pre Dec 2021 Model 3 but if someone that has 2024 firmware, with a regular ethernet diag port that also wants to try DIY the Homelink module.
I’d be happy to give it a shot…

Also, I encourage anyone that did the retrofit but is unable to enable it to open a service ticket. I’d personally push the SC to enable it for free (eg as a warranty or goodwill issue), since there appears to be a “bug” in recent FW versions that prevent DIY service mode from functioning properly to set the gateway change like it is supposed to.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think this error is for newly installed and folks wanting to install. My Y also worked fine until I sold it last week (and removed my module on my own since new owner wasn’t going to use).

Reactions: tzgator
I’d be happy to give it a shot…

Also, I encourage anyone that did the retrofit but is unable to enable it to open a service ticket. I’d personally push the SC to enable it for free (eg as a warranty or goodwill issue), since there appears to be a “bug” in recent FW versions that prevent DIY service mode from functioning properly to set the gateway change like it is supposed to.
I had opened a service ticket saying i have the module already installed. Also mentioned it was a gift from a family member and not a purchase from the Tesla shop itself. Tesla service closed my ticket saying they will not honor a module install that was not done through the store. At this point i will wait and watch this thread for any updates on getting it fixed for a self install by us end users.

I had opened a service ticket saying i have the module already installed. Also mentioned it was a gift from a family member and not a purchase from the Tesla shop itself. Tesla service closed my ticket saying they will not honor a module install that was not done through the store. At this point i will wait and watch this thread for any updates on getting it fixed for a self install by us end users.
Basically they encouraging us to lie lol, not sure what the big deal is, should allow at least to install it via service plus mode