Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do MLY come with matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered MYLR this week. VIN assigned A15XXXX (Austin build). Confirmed with a Tesla Advisor that it has HW4 but not matrix headlights.
I’ll cancel if I don’t get a Fremont build. The only reason I’m even considering trading in is to get HW4 and matrix headlights, and transfer FSD. Otherwise, I’ll gladly loose the $250 deposit, and wait for the refreshed Y coming soon, or the cybertruck I have a reservation for.

Upvote 0
If MY have Matrix, headlights offer the special ability to project the word 'Tesla' during the light show easter egg ;)
And, this is the ONLY thing the Matrix's are used for. My understanding is the US feds STILL will not allow Matrix headlights on US roads.
Screenshot 2023-07-29 113205.jpg

Upvote 0
Sooo, the Highland M3 is getting the Matrix headlamp function enabled it seems.

Sounds to me like they are probably not going to enable them on the "old" M3 and the existing MY's, only the new model.

My guess is, since they have been putting these on, only some of the M3 and MY in the past, they dont want to enable them, to avoid massive complaints from those who lost in the "Did i get Matrix headlamps on my Tesla" lottery.

Sad really, my MY LR has them and i would really have liked for Tesla to enable them, seems so wasteful of them to install them, if they never intended to use them as such, i bet the Matrix headlamps has cost Tesla more than if they had just bought regular LED headlamps without the Matrix function.

Upvote 0
Tesla has added new hardware to cars without notice and then later enabled it or just plain added features or functionality. I don't remember a case where they didn't enable a hardware in a car out of respect for other owners.
In that case we should see "old" model 3 and Y, that was fitted with matrix headlamps get the upgrade as well.

There is no good reason to not enable these, atleast in the EU where Matrix headlamps has been legal since atleast 2015.

To be honest i am not holding my breath, while waiting for them to enable it, i will be pleasently surprised if they do, but i genuinely think they are going to go the "Matrix headlamp functionality is only available in the new 3 and Y" way.

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0