Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do MLY come with matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They seem pretty bright to me already but I guess if working as they are capable they would illuminate even more of my surroundings?
No, on the contrary, they stay more or less as bright to you without positively blinding oncoming cars.

Matrix headlights working for YOUR car is really a nothing burger… what you want is for them to be working on everyone ELSE’S cars.

Upvote 0
They seem pretty bright to me already but I guess if working as they are capable they would illuminate even more of my surroundings?

Basically, it's the reverse of standard normal headlights, which has low beam by default and high beam as needed. With smart headlights, it's high beam by default, and turn off the affected pixels/LED's (using various technology) pointing at other vehicles ahead. The whole lights are still bright, but only certain areas (variables) are off so not to blind the cars ahead.

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0
Matrix headlights working for YOUR car is really a nothing burger
I have to disagree with this - fully functioning matrix headlights mean high beams remain up in areas not occupied by cars in front of you (in either travel direction), so you get full brightness on the shoulders, etc where there are no cars.

For those of us who live where deer multiply like rabbits and like to jump out of the woods in front of oncoming traffic, it would be a HUGE safety advantage.

Upvote 0
Don't keep up your hopes for the Matrix function to ever be enabled though.
Yeah, honestly, it's less about whether they are ever enabled, and much more about the psychology of me buying a new car only to find out it doesn't contain the latest hardware. Purely trying to avoid the psychological torment and perseveration!

All that said, it really would be bizarre for them to never be enabled. Seems like eventually they will be, if any Tesla cars get it enabled it at all.

Upvote 0
We can look forward to Adaptive High Beam for all Model 3/Y with Matrix Headlights Q1 2024 👍

How it works in all models:

Upvote 0
Yeah, honestly, it's less about whether they are ever enabled, and much more about the psychology of me buying a new car only to find out it doesn't contain the latest hardware. Purely trying to avoid the psychological torment and perseveration!

All that said, it really would be bizarre for them to never be enabled. Seems like eventually they will be, if any Tesla cars get it enabled it at all.
I agree, it seems so silly for Tesla to pay extra for matrix headlamps, compared to standard ones, for no reason at all.

Even Tesla would not be so stupid they paid extra for these headlamps just for the car to be able to spell TESLA on a wall in lightshow mode, would they ?

Upvote 0
Is this just a Tesla issue? Do other carmakers have adaptive headlights enabled already?
This feature was first seen in Audi A8 back in 2014

So this is a 10 year old feature.

I have previously owned a bog standard 2015 GM vehicle, this car had an option to get Matrix headlamps from the factory....

Here you can still get cars without matrix, nowadays LED is more or less standard, but matrix is often only on "higher spec cars, but a car that a manufacturer wants to sell as a "luxury" car will certainly have this as standard....So unless Tesla wants to be seen as "Not a luxury car" they should really get these matrix headlamps operational as matrix headlamps.

Upvote 0
We can look forward to Adaptive High Beam for all Model 3/Y with Matrix Headlights Q1 2024 👍

How it works in all models:
So now Tesla is more or like all of those Chinese companies that sell you something, semi touting a certain feature, but when you ask when it will be enabled we get the "Well, you see....We just released a new version and THAT version have this feature so you just need to buy that" answer we expect from low price chinese manufacturers.

Oh and "adaptive high beam, as far as i understand it, is not even "real matrix" function.....But maybe we will get this in the next version of the M3....

Upvote 0