Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do MLY come with matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be able to tell you its birthday if you ask. I had a friend get a Y LR not long ago and it didn't have them. One more thing to worry about.

I will say that on the 3 and Y, non-matrix vs matrix isn't a huge difference. Even more so since the advanced features of the matrix lights aren't enabled yet. On the S, there is a significant difference between how well the matrix and non-matrix lights work. The non-matrix lights on my 3 were far better than my S with the non-matrix lights. You can search for the 3 as well for anyone interested.

Here are the IIHS test for the Y. Search for headlights to see the difference.

For comparison the S really sucked. Non-matrix.

Reactions: teca01
Upvote 0
It would be interesting to see when they made the change. Do you know the build date of your car?
Fremont started having batches of MYLR with Matrix back in mid 2022. But it went in waves where they would go back to using the Premium reflector type. For example, they used Matrix for a couple months around Jul-Sept 2022 and then went back to non-matrix in Oct-Nov (when I got my car). It was in Dec 2022 when Fremont consistently started using Matrix lights. There may have been a few batches without but certainly from mid-Jan 2023 I've never seen a report of a Fremont MYLR with non-matrix.

On the other hand, MYLR and MYAWD out of Austin have never once shipped with Matrix lights to date. Maybe that will change one day. But for now if you get a Fremont VIN expect Matrix, if Austin expect non-matrix.

Upvote 0
There hasn’t been a change. All Fremont built model Ys have matrix. All Austin built ones do not. It’s been that way since the Y was released. This is why I drove 300 miles to pick up the car at Fremont.
Actually, this is not correct. MYP have had the matrix since release date, or perhaps shortly after, but no other MY model, at the start. They've been phasing them in to the LR models, starting some time late last year/early last year. But my car does not have them (build info in sig).

Upvote 0