Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we think that AP1 will get a Updated along side AP2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think AP1 will get the auto lane change, auto exit and on ramp, and a better summon along side 2.0 before AP2 starts to pull away and take better advantage of the hardware or does everyone think that AP1 updates will be little fixes because the hardware has reached its full potential?

Do you guys think AP1 will get the auto lane change, auto exit and on ramp, and a better summon along side 2.0 before AP2 starts to pull away and take better advantage of the hardware or does everyone think that AP1 updates will be little fixes because the hardware has reached its full potential?

Tesla's previous behavior definitely indicates a willingness to continue to improve older vehicles... most often in software releases. Though, the Roadster battery upgrade is surely an unprecedented support for a limited release vehicle with a very labor intensive process to keep a few customers happy.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
It already does lane change so I'm not sure what you mean by that but I thought they already promised off-ramp exiting for 8.1 if Nav is engaged.

• Informative
The lane change with my turn signal input, I was talking about auto lane change where if the vehicle in front is slower than a preselected speed, it will pass.

AP1 will never be able to do that because it can't do it safely with the sensors that it has. (It can't see cars coming in the other lane.)

Also, Elon said that they were already about at the processing limit of the AP computer in the car, so they probably can't add much more even if they wanted to.

• Informative
There was that thread about AP1 "broken promises" recently. I would guess that whatever AP does now for us is probably about it.

The other upcoming things seem like they will be AP 2.0 features. Technically that's not a broken promise, though mildly frustrating. I'm not upset since AP in its current form is way more than I could've dreamed even a few years ago.

Last edited:
There was that recent thread about AP1 "broken promises" recently. I would guess that whatever AP does now for us is probably about it.

The other upcoming things seem like they will be AP 2.0 features. Technically that's not a broken promise, though mildly frustrating. I'm not upset since AP in its current form is way more than I could've dreamed even a few years ago.
They still owe us offramp exits.

If the last year was any indication AP2 will very quickly ramp up and surpass AP1, leaving AP1 in "maintenance mode" with minor tweaks going forward. AP1 will add some additional functionality to to max out the potential of the current hardware e.g. leveraging GPS and route data with AP1 functionality to adjust speed and possibly auto lane change in preparation for an exit. I also think they could give more room for enhanced summon for garages in trick locations. However, once enough AP2 cars get on the road the pressure will be on to show the functionality of the expensive options as well as beat the compedition to market. So in short small improvements to AP1 but AP2 to catch up and surpass very quickly. I also think and dread the day they start designing the UI around the capabilities of the AP2 hardware leaving a divide visually between and AP1 car and an AP2 car.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
They'll have to improve Summon to deliver on what Elon promised during the Autopilot debut. We are a long way from the car "meeting you at the curb" in any meaningful way. The AP1 sensor suite cannot do that entirely autonomously, but I think they can achieve it by implementing mapping on private property.
I believe either before or after that quote Elon said "meeting you at your front door". It doesn't matter to me, other than something to show off to people Summon serves nothing practical for me.

I believe either before or after that quote Elon said "meeting you at your front door". It doesn't matter to me, other than something to show off to people Summon serves nothing practical for me.

It's value varies a lot by use case. For example, someone with a detached garage might use it daily, while someone who gets in their car without stepping outside may never find it helpful.

Elon's language hinted at something further though, like your car coming to get you as you exit a movie theater. Yeah, he didn't say that exactly, but that's what "meet you at the curb" means in a practical sense. It's hard for me to see how they get there with the current sensor suite but private property mapping would fully solve the path problem. The remaining question is whether, in a parking lot at low speeds, ultrasonics, radar and a front camera are enough to interact with other cars. I don't know the answer but I don't dismiss it out of hand as many others here do.

I think that AP1 will get updated with everything aside from AP2 features.

Is auto exit on a ramp a 1.0 feature or a 2.0 feature?
Is a better summon a 1.0 feature or a 2.0 feature?

I believe that's the question to be asked.

I know that AP 1.0 owners don't want to see that feature's divorce from Tesla, however that's exactly what Elon said is inevitable. I certainly don't care for how he announced the divorce in that there is a new AP in town which includes everything necessary for the L5 marriage, however I have to be honest in that that's what Elon said.

I think that AP1 will get updated with everything aside from AP2 features.

Is auto exit on a ramp a 1.0 feature or a 2.0 feature?
Is a better summon a 1.0 feature or a 2.0 feature?

I believe that's the question to be asked.

I know that AP 1.0 owners don't want to see that feature's divorce from Tesla, however that's exactly what Elon said is inevitable. I certainly don't care for how he announced the divorce in that there is a new AP in town which includes everything necessary for the L5 marriage, however I have to be honest in that that's what Elon said.
Elon never said he was "divorcing" (which I interpret meaning not supporting) Summon and offramp exit from AP 1. In fact he promised offramp for AP 1 in 8.1. One could argue whether he's already delivered or not on Summon because in my case I can summon my car out of the garage and to the curb if I wanted but like I said it's not a real useful feature for me.

Elon never said he was "divorcing" (which I interpret meaning not supporting) Summon and offramp exit from AP 1. In fact he promised offramp for AP 1 in 8.1. One could argue whether he's already delivered or not on Summon because in my case I can summon my car out of the garage and to the curb if I wanted but like I said it's not a real useful feature for me.
I didn't say that msnow. I didn't say Elon said he was divorcing Summon or offramp.

I was very clear.

I asked a few questions. And I'll ask again.

Are the features you are most concerned about listed in AP 1.0 or AP 2.0?

I asked a question....I didn't make a statement. Please read carefully.

Tesla will not cover AP 1.0 forever, just like any other car company's options have sunrise and sunsets of support. Can anyone take their Model T to a Ford dealership for service today? No. Does that mean that Ford does not like the Model T or anything of that nature...no.

I don't like how Elon introduced AP 2.0 in relation to AP 1.0 TO THOSE he and Tesla encouraged to buy AP 1.0 not 5 days prior.

Summon isn't exactly mission critical for me, but I have used it a lot more than I thought I would. Basically, I use it to adjust my parking once I'm out of the car and I can see better, and a couple of times I used it to get into parking spots that were too tight to exit the car. For this purpose, I would love it if there were someway to steer the car slightly to the left or right.

It seems likely Tesla will deliver all of the promised AP 1.0 functionality with 8.1 - which will likely take the AP 1.0 hardware as far as it can go, with the limited sensors and processing power.

AP 2.0 has more potential. However...

Tesla is asking owners to purchase the Full Self Driving feature now. Are they providing any any guarantee that the cars will ever actually achieve "full self driving"? While there are regulatory and liability hurdles outside of Tesla's control, will they guarantee that the AP 2.0 sensors (and processing) are sufficient to actually implement "Full Self Driving"?

In a year or two, if Tesla discovers they really need to have LIDAR (or different sensors) in order to make full self driving work - will Tesla provide free upgrades to all the owners who purchased Full Self Driving? Will they ask them to pay for an upgrade to deliver the promised FSD? Will they refund what owners paid for FSD, if the technology didn't work out? Or is purchasing FSD now really a gamble, with no assurance FSD will ever be supported?

It seems like we are much closer for AP 1.0 owners to get everything Tesla promised - than for those purchasing AP 2.0 with FSD now, with an expectation that the cars will be fully self driving at some point in the future...

There certainly is still room for improvement on AP 1.0. For example, when the car read this sign, it interpreted that the speed limit was reduced to 35 mph, which truly only pertained to trucks. This was in a 55 mph zone!
upload_2016-11-7_0-27-35.png
Not sure why the car did not discern that this speed limit sign was not applicable to it.

upload_2016-11-7_0-27-35.png

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I didn't say that msnow. I didn't say Elon said he was divorcing Summon or offramp.

I was very clear.

I asked a few questions. And I'll ask again.

Are the features you are most concerned about listed in AP 1.0 or AP 2.0?

I asked a question....I didn't make a statement. Please read carefully.

Tesla will not cover AP 1.0 forever, just like any other car company's options have sunrise and sunsets of support. Can anyone take their Model T to a Ford dealership for service today? No. Does that mean that Ford does not like the Model T or anything of that nature...no.

I don't like how Elon introduced AP 2.0 in relation to AP 1.0 TO THOSE he and Tesla encouraged to buy AP 1.0 not 5 days prior.
Here's what you said:

"I know that AP 1.0 owners don't want to see that feature's divorce from Tesla, however that's exactly what Elon said is inevitable. I certainly don't care for how he announced the divorce in that there is a new AP in town which includes everything necessary for the L5 marriage, however I have to be honest in that that's what Elon said."

The feature we are talking about is freeway offramp exit and Elon never said what you said. That's all.
With respect to your comment that you don't like how he introduced AP 2.0, get used to it. That's how it's always been. New features and capabilities are introduced all of the time. It's the nature of the beast.

Here's what you said:

"I know that AP 1.0 owners don't want to see that feature's divorce from Tesla, however that's exactly what Elon said is inevitable. I certainly don't care for how he announced the divorce in that there is a new AP in town which includes everything necessary for the L5 marriage, however I have to be honest in that that's what Elon said."

The feature we are talking about is freeway offramp exit and Elon never said what you said. That's all.
With respect to your comment that you don't like how he introduced AP 2.0, get used to it. That's how it's always been. New features and capabilities are introduced all of the time. It's the nature of the beast.
This is what I meant. AP 1.0 will sunset. Not its features. They will be carried over to AP 2.0. However there will be a divorce of AP 1.0. That's what I meant.

Lastly, I'm going to continue to voice my displeasure with how Tesla introduced AP 2.0. I'm not a person that just lets someone shove something in my face that I think is wrong without providing a response. I stand up. I don't sit on the sidelines and complain.
What you do about an issue that you disagree with determines success or not in my opinion. Not simply how a thing turns out. Many times it the constant support of an opinion by the masses that changes outcomes. This is a forum. I voice my opinion without any insult to any individuals. What's the crime?