Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use your frunk?

Do you use your frunk?

• All the time

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 132 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the time here. I keep my reusable shopping bags in there and it gets some of the groceries (normally the cold stuff, or all of it for a small shopping run). At home the front of the car is far more convenient to get to once parked in the garage, right near the access door, so it's genius.

Have always used it for anything that might stink up the interior (gym clothes, leftovers, climbing gear, etc.).

It was a huge pain for the first year because it was extremely hard to close. But then I finally got around to removing the hood underbite by moving the latch mechanism up, and now the force required to close it is as it was originally intended. The reason the force required was extremely high was because the hood sat too low and thus most of the force was used to compress the seal around the frunk. Now that it is not being compressed as much, it is much easier to close. It was at least an 1/8 of an inch off!

I see a lot of cars around with underbite. It is no wonder the hoods are getting bent. I guess a different spring would make it even easier to close with a correctly positioned hood, but it certainly was not the limiting factor in my case. Replacing the spring would have done very little.

IMG_6220.jpg
IMG_6232.jpg

Last edited:
Since there is no physical button to open the frunk, forcing you to use the app or the screen inside the car to open it, I really don't use the frunk, I threw the charger cable bag, tire repair kit and a snow brush up there (so I can wipe the snow off the rear window before opening the trunk and having it all slide into the trunk) but I can't see it being useful on a daily basis when the only mechanism for opening it from the outside is the app. I bought an app for my Apple Watch that has the capability, figuring maybe that would be more convenient, but the car takes so long to wake up when it's asleep that the app usually times out and takes 2-3 tries before it works.

For me the frunk is basically useless except to hold a few small things I'll use infrequently.

... and for that it is very useful.

I also have a 15 ft extension cable, emergency blanket, airpump, and 3 orange cones (medium height) in my frunk.

Reactions: strykeroz
We use ours for all the car "toys": charging pieces, 12V air pump, snow chains, lift pads. And our folder of winery notes, just to mix things up a bit. It just barely fits a Costco pizza, if you position it just right. I only recently discovered there are bag hooks in there too!

I had trouble closing it at first, since it's different from every other hood I've ever closed. It was a while before I "got" the slow and firm thing. Now it doesn't intimidate me anymore.

It was a huge pain for the first year because it was extremely hard to close. But then I finally got around to removing the hood underbite by moving the latch mechanism up, and now the force required to close it is as it was originally intended. The reason the force required was extremely high was because the hood sat too low and thus most of the force was used to compress the seal around the frunk. Now that it is not being compressed as much, it is much easier to close. It was at least an 1/8 of an inch off!

What do you mean by moving the latch mechanism up? Serious question. But.....in other news, isn't that called a fatch mechanism?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Since there is no physical button to open the frunk, forcing you to use the app or the screen inside the car to open it, I really don't use the frunk, I threw the charger cable bag, tire repair kit and a snow brush up there (so I can wipe the snow off the rear window before opening the trunk and having it all slide into the trunk) but I can't see it being useful on a daily basis when the only mechanism for opening it from the outside is the app. I bought an app for my Apple Watch that has the capability, figuring maybe that would be more convenient, but the car takes so long to wake up when it's asleep that the app usually times out and takes 2-3 tries before it works.

For me the frunk is basically useless except to hold a few small things I'll use infrequently.
I use the Frunk multiple times per week on an MX and an M3. I open with app or fob and it is not hard or if I am getting out of car open before I get out. I store shopping bags, windshield washer fluid, boots there plus put my backpack etc in there when parking on the street so they are not visible for prying eyes to see. As for fragile two Teslas and multiple years later with no issues

Never had a problem closing the frunk on either car. You just push it gently until it latches. Don’t even need two hands or anything, just don’t slam it or punch it.

We use it all the time when bringing food or other things home that we want Isolated from the cabin (either smell or temperature wise).

What do you mean by moving the latch mechanism up? Serious question. But.....in other news, isn't that called a fatch mechanism?

Ha. Yes, I meant fatch.

You can see in the picture...the blue tape marks where the top of the two 10mm bolts used to be, prior to adjustment. I did not post a picture of the front of the car after adjustment - but no more underbite!

I would definitely check for underbite and correct it prior to attempting to swap springs, if your frunk is difficult to close.

Last edited:
Ha. Yes, I meant fatch.

You can see in the picture...the blue tape marks where the top of the two 10mm bolts used to be, prior to adjustment I did not post a picture of the front of the car after adjustment - but no more underbite!

I would definitely check for underbite and correct it prior to attempting to swap springs, if your frunk is difficult to close.

So you just backed off on those two 10mm bolts until you had the alignment you preferred? Thanks, Alan.......

So you just backed off on those two 10mm bolts until you had the alignment you preferred? Thanks, Alan.......

Yep. Marked original position with tape for reference. It is super easy. When removing the plastic cover just don’t yank the wiring harness for the light and emergency release. Should have done it right away - would have spared me a year’s worth of annoyance and pushing down carefully on my frunk with 10 perfectly even pressure points with 60 pounds of force or something just to get the frunk to close. On the upside I am well-versed in proper frunk closure technique.

• Helpful
Cool, thanks, will do.......

Hope it helps. Mine fortunately was not uneven side to side. To a certain extent the plastic bumpers can be used to adjust that AFTER the latch position is correct. I backed them out after to make sure there was still a tiny bit of compression on those when the frunk was closed (can gently press over the top of each bumper with frunk closed after latch adjustment to make sure there is minimal play)

Reactions: PACEMD
When I got my TM3 in June 2018 the app was so slow to connect with the car that I rarely used it. I also feared damaging it by closing it improperly. Like others here, I eventually put all my car stuff (charging equipment, tire inflator, wash/drying microfibre towels, snow brush, etc.) in there so it would be out of the way in the trunk.

Now that the app wakes the car up within a couple seconds or less and I've gotten far more used to closing the frunk; I use it much more frequently these days. Also, when I reach my destination, opening it from the in-car screen is quicker than digging out/turning on my phone and the response is instantaneous, so I only require the app when approaching the car when parked.

It's actually fun to use the frunk in public, as where I live Teslas are still almost as rare as unicorns and it's funny to observe others puzzling out why I'm putting my groceries in the engine compartment. :D
Tell them it's a Corvair.

+1 on purchasing a FOB to more easily open the Frunk. FOB also now offers passive entry if your phone sucks at being detected as well as summon capability.

In terms of my FRUNK usage:
  • As others have said, I put stinky food in there as well as pizzas.
  • Normally used to carry a pillow + blanket.
  • I use to put my laptop/workbag in there but switched to rear passenger seat/trunk because I'm always afraid of an accident destroying my laptops.
  • I use a 1 handed "porshe" close method more often than I should.