Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's a limited "production" run, it's not really a production car. It's a small volume custom car. 3000 vehicles is not production in the real world. Yes, it qualifies under legal guidelines, but no sane person considers 3000 cars a production car.

If it's a limited "production" run, it's not really a production car. It's a small volume custom car. 3000 vehicles is not production in the real world. Yes, it qualifies under legal guidelines, but no sane person considers 3000 cars a production car.

It's an option package for a Challenger. But 500 units is considered 'production' for many race organizations.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and davidc18
It's an option package for a Challenger. But 500 units is considered 'production' for many race organizations.

No doubt... but what I'm saying is that if you have a limited production run vehicle, it's not really a production car. It's a custom built, purpose car, not a production car. A production car is something you go buy in a showroom and there are thousands just like them. It's certainly "Legally" a production car, but the spirit of a production car is not a 3000 car run.

It's the same reason NASCAR is such *sugar*. It was original stock car racing, which is interesting. When it drifted away from that, and eventually became NASCAR, it just makes it yet another custom, purpose built car for a one specific thing. Not a STOCK car race and not a PRODUCTION car.

No doubt... but what I'm saying is that if you have a limited production run vehicle, it's not really a production car. It's a custom built, purpose car, not a production car. A production car is something you go buy in a showroom and there are thousands just like them.

They make a lot of Challengers, fewer Challenger Hellcats, and fewer Challenger Demons, but they are all Challengers in the eyes of race orgs. Usually they require 500 units of an engine option to be considered production.

Probably been said but... The demon will be practically undrivable except at the strip. The Tesla is a perfectly drivable luxury sport sedan AND is stupid fast ALL the time and everywhere with street legal tires and a great ride. I think that is what makes it unbeatable when compared to all the other cars that can get even close to those times: they trade off too many things.

The MS is like that stunning beauty in college who was also a genius and had a great personality, of whom Mom and Dad would heartily approve and insist that you marry immediately.

I don't see where Dodge sells anything in Tesla's field.

A drag queen (not RuPaul) is not a family car. It's like a #2 Phillips, it's a very specific tool, not to be confused with ViseGrips which do many things.

But this will put to rest, once and for all, without any doubt whatsoever, that the 60's cars were slugs compared to the new cars. The change happened 20 years ago, but now exaggerated stories about 426 Hemi Cudas and 427 Cobras being the quickest American cars has went up smoke, literally.

LOL, that is clever marketing speak for "it does not meet the published NHRA safety requirements requiring cars faster than 9.99 to have a roll cage". Describing that as "banned for being too fast" is clickbait.

I'm not saying the roll bar / roll cage rules make sense now that unaltered street cars can run 9s and 10s, but they are what they are and anyone buying a Demon is going to have to figure out whether they'll be allowed on their local drag strip.

The drag radials are street legal, early in the thread some said that the car was not on street legal tires.

A roll cage in a street car where you're not wearing a helmet, could be downright dangerous.

This is probably the reason why they didn't put a roll cage in it. It would have met the NHRA safety requirements, but at the same time could have increased the risk of head injury on the street.

As it stands, anyone buying one of these cars is likely to have a hell of a time getting it insured. This car is essentially a purpose built race car.

As long as the owner's Demon stays at 9.99 or slower, then it can run on NHRA tracks without a cage.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRat
That's a very naive thing to say. It's clearly a magnificent car.

I suppose it would have been magnificent 20 years ago when the antiquated use of "Guzzolene" was all the rage. It's going to take the path of the Hummer...a failed project of the fossil fuel age. Oh, and Chrysler won't exist in 5 years if they think a gas guzzling "super car" is the answer to their problems. On a positive note the name is pretty cool.;)

I suppose it would have been magnificent 20 years ago when the antiquated use of "Guzzolene" was all the rage. It's going to take the path of the Hummer...a failed project of the fossil fuel age. Oh, and Chrysler won't exist in 5 years if they think a gas guzzling "super car" is the answer to their problems. On a positive note the name is pretty cool.;)
Honestly, that is just dumb.

The drag radials are street legal, early in the thread some said that the car was not on street legal tires.

A roll cage in a street car where you're not wearing a helmet, could be downright dangerous.

This is probably the reason why they didn't put a roll cage in it. It would have met the NHRA safety requirements, but at the same time could have increased the risk of head injury on the street.

As it stands, anyone buying one of these cars is likely to have a hell of a time getting it insured. This car is essentially a purpose built race car.

As long as the owner's Demon stays at 9.99 or slower, then it can run on NHRA tracks without a cage.
*cough* GT3RS *cough* *cough*

*cough* GT3RS *cough* *cough*

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS: Naturally Aspirated, Nurburgring Honed - Official Photos and Info

" As is usual practice for hard-core Porsches, the Clubsport Package—which brings a roll cage, wiring for a kill switch, an interior-mounted fire extinguisher, and a six-point harness—will not be available in the U.S. It is, naturally, standard in Europe...."

I don't recall Dodge offering a roll cage even in the Viper ACR.

With the exception of the Jeep, I can't think of any American vehicle which has even a factory roll bar in it let alone a cage.

I suspect liability concerns and airbags and their opening in event if side collisions where a cagewere installed, as well as collision ratings using crash test dummies and the "injuries" sustained by them in various types of collisions for many cars sold in the U.S. might be a reason.

You get T boned on the street in a car with a roll cage while you're wearing no helmet, and it's liable to get ugly if your bare head contacts the cage during that.

I look forward to seeing the Demon on the street.

One other thing I don't know if anyone has touched on, but the dealer mark ups over sticker or "market adjustments", figure to be high for this vehicle.

Last edited:

If you are not walking everywhere, you are part of the problem, not the solution, m'kay. Cars and to a lesser degree, bicycles, require roads, which uses a massive amounts of resources including petrochemicals.

Nobody is selling their Prius Eco to buy a Demon and rack up 100,000 miles a year in it.

In any case, the Demon name is recycled from the late 60's or early 70's. It was a Dart version.

I'm guessing you're a tech guy and not a car guy, because if you can't understand what a monumental achievement the Demon is, running a a 9.X with a factory warranty and full creature comforts, perhaps coming into a thread and criticising it isn't the best course of action. It makes you look dumb.

But don't you think fawning over a gas guzzling beast being produced by an antiquated car company as a last gasp attempt at relevancy on a Tesla forum and not expecting backlash could be considered, as you put it, "dumb"?

But don't you think fawning over a gas guzzling beast being produced by an antiquated car company as a last gasp attempt at relevancy on a Tesla forum and not expecting backlash could be considered, as you put it, "dumb"?
No, I assume people are intelligent here and can appreciate things like this Demon for what they are. This car is much faster than a P100D and costs much less. It is essentially the apex of what a muscle car can be. I appreciate cars regardless of their propulsion system, from the Diesel/Electric Turbo Audi SQ7 to the N/A Lamborghini Huracan, to the turbo monster that is a Chiron. They all have their place. Dismissing them because they aren't electric IS stupid.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
No, I assume people are intelligent here and can appreciate things like this Demon for what they are. This car is much faster than a P100D and costs much less.

That's a very interesting statement, considering that no article I've seen includes a price, and some of them explicitly say that Dodge refused to tell them the price...

Also, what I think you meant is that it is much quicker in a single set of carefully controlled conditions - one which it is actually banned from participating in because they breached the ten second line and don't have the equipment required for the faster class (according to Dodge's own video.) How's that for ironic?

The available data suggests it won't beat the P100DL to 60 even in the Demon's ideal environment, and it certainly won't be quicker in typical street situations.

That's a very interesting statement, considering that no article I've seen includes a price, and some of them explicitly say that Dodge refused to tell them the price...

Also, what I think you meant is that it is much quicker in a single set of carefully controlled conditions - one which it is actually banned from participating in because they breached the ten second line and don't have the equipment required for the faster class (according to Dodge's own video.) How's that for ironic?

The available data suggests it won't beat the P100DL to 60 even in the Demon's ideal environment, and it certainly won't be quicker in typical street situations.

They stated at the launch it would be under $100k.

The car runs a 9 quarter mile. It is faster than a P100D by a significant margin. Im sure the P100D is faster 0-10,20,30,40,50 and maybe even 60, but if you ask which car is faster fullstop? The Demon is a faster car. Undoubtably.

The 'banned by the NHRA' is just a marketing thing. You can still take this car to the track. If you want to fit the skinny wheels, then yes, you'll need a cage/chute. But very few people will do this. The Mclaren P1 and Porsche 918 also run in the 9's. I don't see a big woohaa about them being banned from the strip.

They stated at the launch it would be under $100k.

The car runs a 9 quarter mile. It is faster than a P100D by a significant margin. Im sure the P100D is faster 0-10,20,30,40,50 and maybe even 60, but if you ask which car is faster fullstop? The Demon is a faster car. Undoubtably.

The 'banned by the NHRA' is just a marketing thing. You can still take this car to the track. If you want to fit the skinny wheels, then yes, you'll need a cage/chute. But very few people will do this. The Mclaren P1 and Porsche 918 also run in the 9's. I don't see a big woohaa about them being banned from the strip.

Probably because their manufacturers didn't boast about being banned from the only place that they are good for anything. :p

The part you seem to be consistently ignoring is that the Dodge relies on driveline inertia, super sticky tires and a prepared surface for its performance - which means that the P100DL will be substantially faster anywhere except on a drag strip.

Probably because their manufacturers didn't boast about being banned from the only place that they are good for anything. :p

The part you seem to be consistently ignoring is that the Dodge relies on driveline inertia, super sticky tires and a prepared surface for its performance - which means that the P100DL will be substantially faster anywhere except on a drag strip.
I highly doubt that. The Demon will still run sticky tires on the road, and it will still have 840hp, which is substantially more than the P100D. But let's not get into a top trumps, these are both great cars. The Demon deserves respect, which is more than the fanboys in this thread are giving it.