Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in a car with modern tech?
everything
on a wrist. mantle, etc. nothing
I just don't get 'class' when I see these. I see a poor attempt at nostalgia. Cadillac, Porsche & whoever else puts these in...think ICE vs EV. analog vs digital

purely opinion of course :p
One of these days, nobody will know what you're talking about when you say "It's half past 9."

I will never truly abandon my Other ice vehicles.... Simply there are really no substitution for some.
20190601_170016.jpg

I've been driving electric for > 5 years now, but my wife's car is still ICE (actually hybrid/"self-charging"...;)). She's gone from a passive admiration for my car, to now being impatient for her car to be an EV too (doesn't make financial sense to get one for her right now with our current situation and a fully paid-off ICE hybrid in great shape). Even before the Tesla, my kids have always preferred the electric car and refer to it as "the fast car" versus my wife's "slow car". Certainly there will be use cases where an ICE is needed for quite a while, a few decades maybe... but eventually even heavy duty, industrial, or off-road uses of ICE will seem antiquated/inferior.

I think it's entirely dependent on what your ICE car is.

My ICE car is a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and my EV is a Tesla P3D+.

I actually enjoy using the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as my commute car. I do because I sit high, and I don't have to worry too much about pot holes, or if someone hits me. It's a power moonroof with a fabric top so in the summer I can push a button to push back the top quite a bit. So it's a really fun summer car that can handle winter conditions easily. My commute is only 8 miles to work so it's not like I'm using a whole lot of gas.

For a long distance car I absolutely love driving the P3D. I can get to lots of places with spending very little money for the electricity to get their, and it makes the driving really enjoyable.

Historically I've always had a Sports car, and a REAL SUV.

I would love for my SUV to be an EV, and I'm looking forwards to the Rivian.

As to an ICE sports car I don't think I'll ever have the money for a really nice one. The nicest I've driven is a Cayman S, but the Tesla P3D is pretty close to it. So I don't think I'm really missing much. I'm also 6'4" so it's not like I can really fit most Sport Cars. When I got my first Tesla it was the choice between a used Ferrari or a new Tesla Model S. I went with the Model S, and then I became addicted to the EV power train. So I'll always have an EV.

While I do like my Stealth Performance Model 3 I enjoy driving my gas sports cars MUCH more still. The Tesla serves its purpose as a commute car a few days a week.
Any else feel the same?
Only if I feel like I need to stick a hose in the exhaust and route it into the car to commit suicide :)
Seriously though. I never want to drive an ICE car again whenever I can avoid it.

I had to rent an ICE recently and it was my first time driving ICE in about 2 or 3 years. It was dreadful. Took forever to warm-up and get heat. Had to fill the tank with gas. Throttle response was slow and transmission shifting logic was annoying. I tried manually shifting with paddles, but the response was so slow, I went-back to full auto. Also lots of noise and vibration. Oh, and I missed having AutoPilot as well.

Well, I recently made my 500mile, each way, trip with kids in 7hrs 30min
Filled up the tank: Miles to E: 766

If I go to the Tesla trip planner and put in a Model S long range I get: 10hours (3 charging stops)

Love that range

Why three charging stops in 500 miles with 373 miles of range? Did you put in the planner that you would start with a full charge?

Also, 766 miles of range is great, but most people like to stop every few hours anyway, especially to eat.

Lastly, why the big rush? Is the destination so great that you need to get there ASAP? I find that it's better to enjoy the trip vs. rushing to the destination.

Why three charging stops in 500 miles with 373 miles of range? Did you put in the planner that you would start with a full charge?

Also, 766 miles of range is great, but most people like to stop every few hours anyway, especially to eat.

Lastly, why the big rush? Is the destination so great that you need to get there ASAP? I find that it's better to enjoy the trip vs. rushing to the destination.
I can only tell you what the trip planner spits out, choose the destination, choose the car, -enter-
I'm sure it is not as detailed is what you may have as an owner.

The 'destination' is an extra 5 hours spent with family and friends. I find that to be extremely important.

Tessie has around 250 indicated miles of range. I have to make more stops than I did with my ICE cars, but I don't have to buy gas at ~$4.00 a gallon. I get something to eat, drink, read something on my iPad or a book I brought with, or whatever. I'm not complaining. On a recent trip north to Lake Tahoe, I stopped at a village situated among mountains and tall trees. Superchargers were located maybe 50 feet from gas pumps. Tessie got a lot of looks from folks who pumped gas and got their wallets vacuumed in the process, as I sat in a cafe. I agree with you.

Reactions: APotatoGod and GSP
Very cool! I had an '08 451 ICE smart for 6 years and really enjoyed it. But, I'm happy to power the house and a couple EVs with solar now. Still have a leased ICE SUV for the time being.

You're always welcome to hang out here in my book. Besides, you'll join Team Tesla at some point. We're irresistible like that. :)

I still pop over to the SCoA smart forum periodically to see who's getting into trouble lately. Good times in the smart going to events and decorating it for Christmas...

We have a cybertruck reservation. Should be fun. In other news we have a 2020 Leaf Eplus SL on orderto replace the smart as we have a change of use coming up. The model Y looks interesting though.