Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does, or does not, FSD Beta currentnly include birdseye view?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2017 MX with AP 2.5. Safety score of 98, and subscribed to FSD Beta, but have not yet installed.

Does the beta include birdseye view? We are most anxious to utilize this functionality when parking - if the beta has birdseye, is it useful in this situation? Will birdseye operate on a 2017 MX?

And finally: can you point to any site(s) that have images of what birdseye really looks like?

Reactions: jiehan
We have a 2017 MX with AP 2.5. Safety score of 98, and subscribed to FSD Beta, but have not yet installed.

Does the beta include birdseye view? We are most anxious to utilize this functionality when parking - if the beta has birdseye, is it useful in this situation? Will birdseye operate on a 2017 MX?

And finally: can you point to any site(s) that have images of what birdseye really looks like?
No, it doesnt, if you mean a synthetic video view of the car looking down from above. The cameras on the car do not provide the necessary views to construct this view.

Upvote 0
Per Elon, its coming in October 2021.
Mark your calendar.
Not what the OP was asking about though, which I think is the equivalent of an overhead camera view of the car and its surroundings.

And yes, I agree this is a really great feature for parking. My wife's 2013 LEAF had this, and newer cars such as the Kia EV6 have it. As @JulienW said, Teslas' cameras don't allow for that kind of view unfortunately.

I suspect Elon would just say that you don't need that view because the car should be able to park itself (which I grant you, is a BS answer).

Reactions: Bpseattle
Upvote 0
Not what the OP was asking about though, which I think is the equivalent of an overhead camera view of the car and its surroundings.

And yes, I agree this is a really great feature for parking. My wife's 2013 LEAF had this, and newer cars such as the Kia EV6 have it. As @JulienW said, Teslas' cameras don't allow for that kind of view unfortunately.

I suspect Elon would just say that you don't need that view because the car should be able to park itself (which I grant you, is a BS answer).
Ok. I saw "Birdseye view" in both the article and in the OP's post, and well....

Upvote 0
If they get object permanence into the perception neural nets it seems possible...
Note he's talking about vector space meaning it would be able to render fixed objects that were previously in view of the cameras. Presumably it would also be able to recognize objects that might move that are later in the blind spots of the cameras (like a kid moving around the car).

Reactions: 2101Guy
Upvote 0
Yeah I saw Birdseye view in that (or similar) article back at that time and was excited, but then realized that what Elon calls bird's eye view is not what I (and most of the rest of us) consider bird's eye view.
I would be happy if it was able to reproduce the "Birdseye view" that the best human drivers are able to perceive while parking.
Though I guess if it had that then Autopark would be better than me and I wouldn't need to have it rendered...

Reactions: RTPEV and 2101Guy
Upvote 0
Yeah I saw Birdseye view in that (or similar) article back at that time and was excited, but then realized that what Elon calls bird's eye view is not what I (and most of the rest of us) consider bird's eye view.
Birds-eye view (BEV) for drivers is a trick the car does where it binds together different camera views to construct a view as would be seen from above the car. BEV when discussing FSD beta is used to mean creating a unified 3D mapping of objects perceived by the NNs to allow the car to place objects like cars into a 3D world view (which is what is used to create the view on the cars display).

Upvote 0
My Plaid is on 2022.36.20 and it has an overhead view when parked. Attached is a photo.
9F039BDD-3777-4A7E-B780-AC6AA94322F2.jpeg

Reactions: jiehan
Upvote 1