Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
by then i'll just buy a new car which will probably include it for free.

On a new Tesla the HW3 is free, but FSD is $8K so from that point of view it makes no sense to buy a new car.

If you don't have EAP then it might make sense to wait for a new car that hopefully has a more complete sensor suite (like rear radar, and front Lidar of some kind). Where it would be HW4 or something like that.

In a lot of ways it's kinda like having a Desktop computer.

Year 0: Get computer
Year 2: Upgrade video card, and maybe some other things.
Year 4: Get new computer
Year 6: Upgrade Video card, and maybe some other things.

HW3 is the video card upgrade cycle.

As to offering it free to HW2.5 owners? No, I don't think that's going to happen. History has shown that Tesla doesn't feel compelled to fulfill promises with old hardware. AP1 never accomplished what it was promised, but they moved on.

That's precisely the reason why there is a class action lawsuit against Tesla from Model S owners that paid extra for the features that were never delivered before the lease term expired.

...NOA makes random lane choices at times and is basically useless...

There's no question that NOA is in its infancy but I enjoy using it. It suggests changing lanes many times but it's up to me to comply with its requests.

The feature I enjoy most is it exits the freeway on its own with its own turn signaling which has saved me a few times when I was distracted and missed the exits in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and pilotSteve
Tesla said that the price for 2018 owners to upgrade EAP to FSD will be $2K, though the website currently says $3K. Elon said he expects the website to be fixed next week, and also that people who are entitled to the $2K price but pulled the trigger on $3K will get a refund.
Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

To me, the real benefit is to get the HW3 upgrade for $2K sometime this year.

PS: I use NOA on long distance freeway driving and prefer it to simple Autosteer for that.

Does it indicate 2018 purchasers only? I have an AP2.0 Nov 2016 build that has EAP. It seems like this applies to me too, but if someone has any insight, it would be appreciated.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I cannot wait for all of the folks whining to get shut out and / or pay MORE for the upgrade to FSD than the current deal (for those with EAP) of $2000.

Gang, Tesla is a Company in transition and this latest round of product / pricing changes has all of the looks of being the final major change they need to make anytime soon.

Good luck with waiting and enjoy stewing in your sea of negativity. The Company just released a $35,000 electric car that is both a stunning vehicle and several years ahead of anything else on the road and so many here are stuck complaining about minutiae. Look in the mirror folks, the issue is NOT with tesla...
What does the 35k car have to do with buying the FSD upgrade?

The issue is TESLA, ad their pricing and retro active refunds. They should have 1) just told people to suck up the difference, or two, actually spent some time creating a retroactive refund for everyone, or 3 re-offered the original 8k price to people post purchase.

I used to believe tesla's "buy now or it will cost more later" or "get your car before the tax credit" but this has turned out to not be true. Prices started dropping on my car 2 days after a purchased it, first it was white interior, and then the Performance upgrade package was package was give away free 10 days later ($5k value). I immediately had a car worth 6k less not counting actual usage depreciation, and I didn't even actually have my car yet since they had to fix the delivery issues (It would be in the shop for a month and 1/2). The only reason I had to accept the second bad car I was offered, was the FOMO Tesla distilled in everyone about missing the tax credit. Well, a couple months later I'm still dealing with issues (I have been in for service like 8 times now for stupid things like broken clips in 3 panels bouncing around, then fixing the harnesses that were not put together properly) and well I wouldn't have missed out on anything waiting until January, or even Feb to purchase.

So seriously, I don't buy into teslas FOMO on FSD for 2k. And I don't find it to be an amazing deal either since $5k is the deal price for select customers not 7k.

So sure I'm a little jealous of the free FSD my friends are getting and I would have opted for the wheels and brakes and trackmode too, had I been able to just pay my same original price, but I fell for the FOMO act!

But for those of us that already have EAP, don't FOMO and buy, because history shows that despite tesla dangling the carrot, things end up cheaper for free over time not more.

Sure the 2k price could go away but like Ohmman said it's probably best to wait until the product actually exists, then you can make your decision. It offers nothing over EAP at this time.

Does it indicate 2018 purchasers only? I have an AP2.0 Nov 2016 build that has EAP. It seems like this applies to me too, but if someone has any insight, it would be appreciated.
I think it's specifically for 2018 purchasers and free for 2019 purchasers.

I bought my M3 online (which is what Elon apparently wants everyone to do). When I was buying it, EAP was the only option available - either you pay $5000 for it, or you don't. No other options were advertised.

Now, it appears that some of the features that were promised to me as part of that EAP, are being designated for FSD, and I have to pay an extra $2000 do get them?

I bought my M3 online (which is what Elon apparently wants everyone to do). When I was buying it, EAP was the only option available - either you pay $5000 for it, or you don't. No other options were advertised.

Now, it appears that some of the features that were promised to me as part of that EAP, are being designated for FSD, and I have to pay an extra $2000 do get them?
No. You get all the EAP features even if you don't pay 2k. T

If you ordered in 2018 the extra 2k will just be for the additional features that 2019 pre-announcement purchasers will get for free. If you ordered in 2019 your going to get free FSD.

All they had to do was leave FSD at 3k to upgrade for EAP users, and offer the package to anyone who bought neither at 8k. No one would be upset.
I'm deeply confused here. I don't get how me getting this offered at a $3000 cheaper today than last week doesn't me happier? Or how it rationally, in a non-spiteful way makes anyone else less happy that I've the opportunity to buy it?

Soon as I rustle up the $2000 I'll be dropping it on this and grinning like mad every time it automatically stops for a red light or stop sign. I currently use EAP nearly all the time and stop signs and red lights where I'm first in line are they two places that are far and away the biggest disappointments in the experience for me.

This is a slam dunk Buy. Exactly because it brings true, actual value.

No. You get all the EAP features even if you don't pay 2k. T

If you ordered in 2018 the extra 2k will just be for the additional features that 2019 pre-announcement purchasers will get for free. If you ordered in 2019 your going to get free FSD.

What were those EAP features? Because there was not a defined list. When I was buying it, I was told that it is under development, and features are to be added later. In fact, it still says that it is BETA. Now, I am told that I need to pay $2000 for those features.
Screen-Shot-2018-10-19-at-5.41.36-AM.jpg

I wouldn't pay $2k today, but I'd be willing to pay more later once there are viable features to support the price. But for some people, buying the promise of the future is fun or enticing, and they're willing to take the risk.

I am just ready for the thread of complaints in a few months when FSD has some additional features and has gone up to $4k or whatever. Buy the value you see today, and don't look back. Your decision is based on today's value. Anything else is a risk.

You might be right but what we’ve learned over the past few months is it is better to wait Tesla out.

I was on the fence with EAP and have only used it a handful of times, if I had waited I would be able to get FSD now for the same price.

What were those EAP features? Because there was not a defined list. When I was buying it, I was told that it is under development, and features are to be added later. In fact, it still says that it is BETA. Now, I am told that I need to pay $2000 for those features.
How can you ascribe to EAP a feature if it wasn't on a list?

Especially when you were told that there was another set of features that were going to fall under FSB?

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Here’s a question: Does buying FSD now guarantee me full level 4 and the HW5 needed for it when it’s available in 5 years (or whenever)?

No because now Tesla have defined what FSD is and they just have to meet those goals even if the software is in beta and marginally useful.

Tesla definition of FSD doesn’t map to industry standard definitions of autonomous driving.

I was on the fence with EAP and have only used it a handful of times,
There are different use cases for individuals, to be sure.

I use EAP each and every time I drive my car. I'd be very surprised if I have more than 1,000 miles of manual steering out of 16,000 miles so far on the vehicle. Most of those manual miles were of quality experience, too. For the most part drove them manual because I wanted to, because I was fully engaged in that experience. Normally turning it up to 11 for extracting performance out of the car. The one notable exception to that is my neighbourhood who's roads are too narrow, and lack a center line, to engage EAP.

Tesla definition of FSD doesn’t map to industry standard definitions of autonomous driving.

According to Tesla's website, it IS autonomous. Unless it needs intervention from passenger's seat...

"
Full Self-Driving Capability
All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at a safety level we believe will be at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distancetrips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle."

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod