Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a reminder that there's no obligation for Tesla to give you HW3. If it were definitely true it would be on the site, written out, in plain English. Tweets don't obligate Tesla to make good on this.
I don't know about you, but when I purchased the car, the description stated that it came with all hardware required for FSD. If Tesla cannot make it work with 2.5, then and upgrade is implied.

Reactions: Knightshade
I don't know about you, but when I purchased the car, the description stated that it came with all hardware required for FSD. If Tesla cannot make it work with 2.5, then and upgrade is implied.

Yup.

Same reason back in the 2->2.5 transition Tesla said they'd upgrade all 2.0 cars that bought FSDto 2.5 for free if it turned out that difference mattered to enable FSD features.

In the end, neither allowed for the then-promised FSD features, but HW3 will, so everyone who bought FSD gets HW3.

This is one of the rare places Tesla has been very consistent in their messaging going back years now.

The problem is that they can always redefine what exactly FSD means. They have already moved the goalposts (making things like Summon and NoA, which run just fine on HW2.5, "FSD"). I'm pretty sure it's possible to implement some form of what they are currently promising on the order page - traffic light recognition and "automatic driving on city streets" (which is already possible to some extent) - with HW2.5 if they want to.

Reactions: more863-also
Ok

I disagree, would the computer be able to figure out whose turn it was when three cars arrive at the intersection simultaneously? I see no reason to believe it would.

So first- they probably didn't really arrive simultaneously

And a computer would likely do a better job than a human judging which actually arrived first.

Second, if all 3 actually DID arrive at exactly the same time, the one with nobody to his right goes first per typical traffic laws and the car would know who that is too.

I disagree, would the computer be able to figure out whose turn it was when three cars arrive at the intersection simultaneously? I see no reason to believe it would.

I fail to see why it wouldn't work better than 99% of human drivers.

If implemented correctly it has a number of advantages over the human driver.

From the mapping information it knows if it's a 2 way, 3 way, or 4 way stop and how it should handle the stop.
It's always paying attention and can see when the other cars arrived.
It knows the rules regarding who can go first (like the one to the right if people arrive simultaneously).
It doesn't have an ego of "I'm in the nicest/biggest car so I get to go first"
It doesn't suffer from "Please don't hurt my precious"

In fact it's the one are which I absolutely plan on using FSD for to augment my own eyes/mind/interpretation.

Now I don't expect FSD to be perfect at handling these stops.

It has no way to signal to another driver to go for times when another driver doesn't follow the rules.
It's not in tune with human behavior
Human drivers will learn to bully it