TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Don't Give Tesla a Black Eye by Stealing Electricity

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by E-Lect-Trick, Aug 21, 2018.

1. E-Lect-Trick

E-Lect-Trick Member

I was travelling through Altoona, WI last weekend when I noticed a someone stealing electricity from the city to charge their Model 3. I noticed the car before I went to lunch around 11am and it was still there when I left at 12:30. That's when I took the attached picture. It was plugged into a power box that is available for food trucks and others who get permits from the Parks and Recreation department. It was really upsetting to see an expensive new car stealing fuel from the taxpayers of this small and modest city. I forwarded the picture to the city parks and recreation department for them to followup with the owner if they so choose. Please don't be like this person. What a horrible initial impression of Tesla. 2018-08-12 11.02.56.jpg

• Disagree x 30
    • Like x 6
    • Funny x 4
  2. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

What does this got anything to do with Tesla?

• Like x 1
  3. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Why are you assuming the worst?! New plates. Maybe the owner didnt figure his range properly and had to plug in to get home. That is just one example. If they guy was there every day, that is one thing. But dont put blame on something just because your mind contrived something negative immediately. How about MYODB?

• Like x 23
  4. brobinson

brobinson Member

The way you worded your post really seems like projecting. What does the cost of a car, or Tesla itself, have to do with this at all?

• Like x 7
  5. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

I think it is great that city made the outlets available to more than just food trucks.

• Like x 9
  6. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Wow, you must be the life of the party.

• Funny x 17
    • Like x 2
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn M3 Silver, M3 Midnight Silver

The assumption of theft seems presumptuous.

• Like x 3
  8. MSDreamz

MSDreamz Member

Maybe its a new Tesla owner thinking its a super charger :)

• Funny x 6
  9. GregKo

GregKo Member

hmmm 1st post...

• Like x 5
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

If true and this theft of a few pennies of electricity is "horrible," what is government forced removal of children from their parents and placement in detention camps with no end in sight ?

• Like x 6
    • Love x 4
    • Disagree x 2
  11. Need

Need Active Member

#11 Need, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    I look at that picture and think... damn, those Gen 2 UMC is long! I thought they were only 2 foot longer than my Gen 1 cable, but it looks a lot longer in that pic.

The other thought came to mind is that he should have plugged into that first box in front! He is EV'ing the car behind :p

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

Why do we have Tesla haters in this group? Don’t assume the owner is “stealing” anything. Maybe it needs enough charge to get home.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

#13 dendenyc, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Ha! He'd have to be there all day for 5% range. That 110v is a waste of time. I know it bugs you but is it really that big a deal, its not like the car is black or anything.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Needing something doesn't automatically mean it's not stealing...

• Like x 4
  15. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I just charged in a similar situation. I asked the chamber of commerce, the electric cooperative, and the city. They were all OK with it and welcomed the chance to have visitors from out of town. They were even happy for me to list it on plugshare.

• Like x 14
    • Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

Sometimes you just need a charge... and maybe this is the only available option there. What did he steal $3 worth of power in a day? Maybe in your message to Parks and Rec you should tell them that this clearly indicates the need for a public charger and it will attract lots of wealthy Tesla owners... etc.. Instead of.. look this guy is stealing

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

psssss... let's not let the OP know that all 100,000 of us Model 3 owners do the exact same thing. We love to pillage and steal.. even 110V.

The more small and modest the city, the greater the thrill.

Doesn't matter we can push the Model 3 faster than it can charge from that silly outlet.

Let's claim

"isolated incident".

and hope it blows over.

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  18. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

When did orange become an available Porta Potty color? I've never seen one that color before... Is it metallic?

• Funny x 8
  19. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

Cant lie, it does feel devilish when I pull up to a BMW dealership and jack into a 1772 and check-in on plugshare to complain how slow this is. Its like giving a stray cat a bowl of milk only to have him pi$$ on your couch.

• Funny x 8
    • Disagree x 1
  20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That seems like a really big box for 110V only. If it's really used by food trucks, it might be a 14-50.

• Like x 3